What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has Matthew Johns been treated unfairly?

Has Matthew Johns been treated unfairly?

• Yes. It has gone way too far.

Votes: 172 74.1%
  • No. He deserves everything he gets.

Votes: 60 25.9%

• Total voters

Archduke_Franz

Juniors
I am interested in finding out what the general consensus is on Matthew Johns in how he has been treated by the Media and the NRL. I personally think it has been atrocious form by both as he has done nothing illegal and made out to be a criminal almost. The only thing I can see he is guilty of is cheating on his wife which is for them to sort out in their personal lives. What does everyone else think on this particular matter?

Last edited:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
"It's not his go"

Can't believe noone has said it yet :sarcasm:

Timmah

Staff member
Really?

Why don't you piss off back into the general public then instead of pontificating on here?

Apey

Staff member
In all seriousness I'm going to agree that with the consensus so far and say that he has.

What crime did he commit?

When did this happen? Why should he pay for it now (again, pay for what?)?

I'm just under the belief that any punishments he should have got, should have happened at the time, and that he shouldn't have to be punished now for something he 'allegedly' did 7 years ago just because the media have decided to drag it back up again. No doubt that now the media have dragged it back up it probably will make sense for him to be punished because he has brought down the image of the game.. Hope that made sense.

To me the tone she used during this comment says it all:

SARAH FERGUSON: Four minutes of news footage, a blanket denial from the team's management and the story disappeared from view.

http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/conte...9/s2567972.htm

And that's how it should have stayed.

sting

Bench
seriously the abc are scum as well for bringing this up 7 years later as well. what was the point?

Timmah

Staff member
This particular instance yes, but they do have a point about the culture of some players.

Ice Ice Brady

Juniors
seriously the abc are scum as well for bringing this up 7 years later as well. what was the point?

So if they found out that a woman claims her life has been ruined because of the actions of (likely drunk) rugby league players, they are supposed to not run with it?

What if Johns et al actually did something immoral or even illegal, but there was not enough evidence to mount a case in court, are the ABC and the lady still scum for dragging your precious rugby league players through the mud?

Out of curiosity, has anyone close to you ever been raped or sexually assaulted?

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Has he been treated unfairly, yes, of course he has. Has he broken any laws? Of course he hasn't. It happened seven years ago, I'm sure him and his wife had sorted it all out back then and now it's being brought back up again, because?

Ice Ice Brady

Juniors
Has he been treated unfairly, yes, of course he has. Has he broken any laws? Of course he hasn't. It happened seven years ago, I'm sure him and his wife had sorted it all out back then and now it's being brought back up again, because?
Jobdog, were you there when it happened?

If not, how do you know laws were "of course" not broken?

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Jobdog, were you there when it happened?

If not, how do you know laws were "of course" not broken?
No, I wasn't there. But judging by what has been reported, there was a police investigation when it happened yes? And nothing came out of it ... the only bad thing Johns has done, judging by the no charges were laid point of view, is unethical.

Timmah

Staff member
By the word of the law he hasn't done anything criminal.

Ice Ice Brady

Juniors
No, I wasn't there. But judging by what has been reported, there was a police investigation when it happened yes? And nothing came out of it ... the only bad thing Johns has done, judging by the no charges were laid point of view, is unethical.

There could be many reasons why nothing came of the charges.

Of course the easiest (and admitedly most of the time the best) conclusion is that whoever was being investigated is innocent.

But, in the circumstances of rape, evidence is hard to come by and things such as the mental state of the victim and consent become he said/she said arguments.

It could have been a case of there not being enough evidence to mount a prosecution.

sting

Bench
So if they found out that a woman claims her life has been ruined because of the actions of (likely drunk) rugby league players, they are supposed to not run with it?

What if Johns et al actually did something immoral or even illegal, but there was not enough evidence to mount a case in court, are the ABC and the lady still scum for dragging your precious rugby league players through the mud?

Out of curiosity, has anyone close to you ever been raped or sexually assaulted?

oh please who the f**k are you?

she consented and probably only felt bad cause she felt like a whore and was embarresed by the whole thing.

sure some of the players may have behaved badly by watching or whatever, but it's hardly the massive life scarring event it's been made out to be.

what an irrelevant question, who has been raped or sexually assaulted in this issue? what does that matter if i know someone who has or not?

f**k off now troll

Ice Ice Brady

Juniors
she consented and probably only felt bad cause she felt like a whore and was embarresed by the whole thing.
Or maybe she consented to having sex with Matt and someone else. When she realised that there was more people in there, she felt that she was being taken advantage of? I don't know if that is rape, but it is certainly illegal.

sure some of the players may have behaved badly by watching or whatever, but it's hardly the massive life scarring event it's been made out to be.
That is why I asked the question. Obviously the answer is no. Thanks for answering your own question on that - you clearly don't have any understanding or sympathy to victims of sexual assault.

Lego_Man

First Grade
He hasnt broken any laws.

This sleeping dog should have been left to lie.

The media savagery inflicted on the Johns brothers has been disgraceful.

Alex28

Coach
Timmah...not sure how sex education goes in schools these days...but sex without consent is rape. She might have said yes to Matt, but the minute she either said no or acted like she didn't want to keep going it has to stop.

Do we need the NRL to run a session for League Unlimited forum posters as well?

Edit - sorry...I withdraw the allegation of rape. They weren't charged, so there was no crime. She sure didn't look like she enjoyed it on Monday night though...

Last edited: