What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has Matthew Johns been treated unfairly?

Has Matthew Johns been treated unfairly?

• Yes. It has gone way too far.

Votes: 172 74.1%
  • No. He deserves everything he gets.

Votes: 60 25.9%

• Total voters

Shorty

Staff member
Errr. Take the fall?

Matty Johns has not done anything illegal as far as we can work out. He / they "may" have done - but that's not what's in question.

The issues at hand are "Did Matty Johns behave in a manner that was reprehensible towards this girl"? The answer is YES.

Has Matty Johns and all the players involved dragged the game through the dirt? Yes again.

Now he has admitted that he's been an idiot. He's disgraced himself, he's hurt his family and he's hurt the girl involved, albeit inadvertantly. He has therefore lost his job at Channel 9 and the Melbourne Storm.

If none of the other players involved are still playing football, what's going to happen to them? Errr, nothing.

However - there possibly could be wider repercussions for Matty Johns by naming these players. When you get caught doing something stupid or illegal, naming your mates or dobbing people in is seen as wrong. If Matty DOES name names and still wants a career in League in the future - then naming could do him more harm among league players.

I'm not saying it's morally right - because it's not. He SHOULD name players - but I'm sure he's aware more than anyone of the damage he could do himself by naming names. He's in a horrible position and I dont envy him at all.
You're probably right, unfortunately.

Errr. Take the fall?

Matty Johns has not done anything illegal as far as we can work out. He / they "may" have done - but that's not what's in question.

The issues at hand are "Did Matty Johns behave in a manner that was reprehensible towards this girl"? The answer is YES.

Has Matty Johns and all the players involved dragged the game through the dirt? Yes again.

Now he has admitted that he's been an idiot. He's disgraced himself, he's hurt his family and he's hurt the girl involved, albeit inadvertantly. He has therefore lost his job at Channel 9 and the Melbourne Storm.

If none of the other players involved are still playing football, what's going to happen to them? Errr, nothing.

However - there possibly could be wider repercussions for Matty Johns by naming these players. When you get caught doing something stupid or illegal, naming your mates or dobbing people in is seen as wrong. If Matty DOES name names and still wants a career in League in the future - then naming could do him more harm among league players.

I'm not saying it's morally right - because it's not. He SHOULD name players - but I'm sure he's aware more than anyone of the damage he could do himself by naming names. He's in a horrible position and I dont envy him at all.

So, his moral code tells him not to but your moral code tells him he should?

Well, we should try and make sure he gets the message.

And please, if you were in the room at the time of the incident, then please tell us all exactly what happened. If you weren't, why do you feel the need to tell us that he behaved in a reprehensible manner?

You don't know jack sh*t.

Lambretta

First Grade
So, his moral code tells him not to but your moral code tells him he should?

Well, we should try and make sure he gets the message.

And please, if you were in the room at the time of the incident, then please tell us all exactly what happened. If you weren't, why do you feel the need to tell us that he behaved in a reprehensible manner?

You don't know jack sh*t.

Apologies - I was agreeing with the original poster that in an ideal World he should name players and not take all the blame himself.

However we don't live in an ideal World and his not naming players is actually Johns acting in self preservation mode - if he wishes to continue with a career in football at some time in the future. If he did name names, his name would be mud in the eyes of many for dobbing a mate.

I believe that Johns behaved in a reprehensible manner for doing cheating on his partner. I dont need to have been in the room at the time to know that he's disgraced himself or acted in a terrible manner.

Or do you think that cheating on your partner isnt reprehensible?

And regarding the act with the girl. Johns allegedly apologised to the girl afterwards for his behaviour and the behaviour of his team mates. Are you saying that people who have no issues with what they've done would feel the need to apologise?

interesting that a poll 2ue is running is pretty much in line with this one.

I can only presume then many women are infact supporting johns position.

Apologies - I was agreeing with the original poster that in an ideal World he should name players and not take all the blame himself.

However we don't live in an ideal World and his not naming players is actually Johns acting in self preservation mode - if he wishes to continue with a career in football at some time in the future. If he did name names, his name would be mud in the eyes of many for dobbing a mate.

I believe that Johns behaved in a reprehensible manner for doing cheating on his partner. I dont need to have been in the room at the time to know that he's disgraced himself or acted in a terrible manner.

And regarding the act with the girl. Johns allegedly apologised to the girl afterwards for his behaviour and the behaviour of his team mates. Are you saying that people who have no issues with what they've done would feel the need to apologise?

His wife forgave him.

If you cant then , thats a problem for you.

Personally i dont like people cheating on their partners either , but you know what? its really none of my business! If his wife forgave him then so should you.

Will De Ness

Juniors
Raaaaaaaaaay is currently eliminating those that weren't involved from the list on tour

So far he's eliminated:
Campbell
Peachey
Kimmorley
Graham
Stevens

Again, your morals don't fit M. Johns so why do you feel the need to push them on him?

If Matt felt the need to say sorry, for whatever, why does their have to be an ulterior motive? Not having been there precludes me from making any sort of assumption. If you weren't there, why are you trying to work out what happened and why are you making an assumption that him saying sorry is an admission of guilt?

He isn't asking for your understanding, he's doing what he has to do to the people that actually deserve his full and undivided attention at this time; his family.

Lambretta

First Grade
Again, your morals don't fit M. Johns so why do you feel the need to push them on him?

If Matt felt the need to say sorry, for whatever, why does their have to be an ulterior motive? Not having been there precludes me from making any sort of assumption. If you weren't there, why are you trying to work out what happened and why are you making an assumption that him saying sorry is an admission of guilt?

He isn't asking for your understanding, he's doing what he has to do to the people that actually deserve his full and undivided attention at this time; his family.

So by posting an opinion, I'm telling Matty Johns what to do?

That's interesting that you have such a high opinion of me. Thanks.

I can assure you that Matty Johns will do whatever is right for Matty Johns and his family. I wish him all the best luck in the World and I for one will perfectly happy if Channel 9 re employ him.

I'm not attacking him in any way shape or form.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Warnie has been found to have cheated on his wife many times over... Mathew Johns has only publically done it once as far as we now, which i think is his personal worse event out of this. Mathew Johns also had a consentual moment with this particular female, just like Warnie had with his escapades.

Just to clear up, I'm not talking about the other players who may of later joined we are talking about Mathew Johns only.

So why does Johns cop it and Warnie doesn't?

Are you fuggin kidding mate? do you seriously think the 2 situations are the same? :crazy:

It doesnt matter how many times Warnie cheated on his wife compared to MJ. cheating on their wives is the only thing they have in common here, the rest could not be further apart.

With a name like Blind Freddy you should be able to see that.

Are you fuggin kidding mate? do you seriously think the 2 situations are the same? :crazy:

It doesnt matter how many times Warnie cheated on his wife compared to MJ. cheating on their wives is the only thing they have in common here, the rest could not be further apart.

Warne also got caught in a group sex act aswell. Pretty sure that was consensual.

Blind Freddy

Juniors

Lets not let facts get out of the way here. A police investigation was undertaken and found it was all consentual. Otherwise charges would have been laid.

You are correct in saying both have gone behind their wife's back, but one just did it in a group situation which is perfectly legal if that is what floats your boat.

My statement still is relevant. Why is Warnie not blacklisted from the 9 network for his consentual "immoral acts" but Mathew Johns is??

Last edited:
So by posting an opinion, I'm telling Matty Johns what to do?

errr,

Informed opinions generally are posted with the benefit of things like experience.

Assuming that your opinion is an informed opinion, which of;

A) Cheating on your wife
B) Group sex
C) Being f**ked over by a media frenzy
D) Playing NRL

are you experienced at?

Once you've outlined your experience in such matters, then I'll give your "opinion" the respect it deserves.

I tend to think I already have, but feel free to set me straight.

That's interesting that you have such a high opinion of me. Thanks.

I'm glad I made that clear.

I can assure you that Matty Johns will do whatever is right for Matty Johns and his family. I wish him all the best luck in the World and I for one will perfectly happy if Channel 9 re employ him.

I'm not attacking him in any way shape or form.

?

Who said that then?

Lambretta

First Grade
Who said that then?

Saying someones behaviour was reprehensible isnt an attack.

If you think that's an attack you need to get out more.

Regarding my original post that you quoted and talked about morals.

I would like to point out that I MEANT Johns "should" name names is he wants to spread the blame in the short term and take the focus off himself. However - he won't as it will do more long term harm than good now.

I actually AGREE with him not naming names.

Lambretta

First Grade
errr,

Informed opinions generally are posted with the benefit of things like experience.

I wonder if a Historian with knowledge of the Roman Empire would agree that he had to live in Roman times to have an opinion on them.

Opinions are formed through experience. That's true. But you don't have to have experienced something first hand to have an opinion on it.

I am of the opinion that getting caught up in a Tsunami isnt all that pleasant. I've also read witness statements that back up that fact. Yet, I've never experienced one.

Is my "opinion" wrong?

StormChaser

First Grade
Nopes, just laughing at your absolute inability to say something not laced with male hatred. Automatic assumption of guilt with Johns, rubbishing his interview as acting.... you need therapy.

LMFAO!! You are truly hysterical. Male hatred? Where have i said anything remotely hateful? Does the word "knuckle dragger" offend you because it hits a hairy backed nerve? :lol:

I do need therapy though, something to help me stop biting at stoopid posts like yours.

*Big Kiss for Timmothay*:kiss:

rabbitohs

Juniors
If Nine had no knowledge of the event before the ABC show then they have a right to sack him for bringing them into disrepute. However IF they knew about it and hired him anyway it is unfair to sack him for something they accepted in the past because of the actions of a rival broadcaster.

Lambretta

First Grade
If Nine had no knowledge of the event before the ABC show then they have a right to sack him for bringing them into disrepute. However IF they knew about it and hired him anyway it is unfair to sack him for something they accepted in the past because of the actions of a rival broadcaster.

I suppose it comes down to one thing and one thing alone - ratings.

I know that sucks major dogs balls for Matty - but that's a commercial reality. If nine DID know - then there's every chance they'll be welcoming him back with open arms once all the hullaballoo has died down.

"Tomorrows chip wrappings" as the old saying goes.

Latest posts