What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has Matthew Johns been treated unfairly?

Has Matthew Johns been treated unfairly?

• Yes. It has gone way too far.

Votes: 172 74.1%
  • No. He deserves everything he gets.

Votes: 60 25.9%

• Total voters

Noa

First Grade
I got no problem with him calling games in future. If Marv Albert can continue anyone can.

Big Mick

Referee
Um excuse me. Show me where I called him an arsehole or a pig? I called lots of guys in HERE those names but not him! I don't condone what he did, it was wrong, he should have kept it in his pants, but don't go putting words in my mouth.

I think he should be gone from any front of house type of gig in the NRL, but he could be, and should be used in other areas, not least of which, educating young players by example! Showing them what NOT to do!

Read the next post...wrote that before I read your post.

Dave Q

Coach
Dave mate,

What happened to the hate?
You're too easily fooled by the biased smear campaign from round corners program.
The game gets kicked in the guts, but it will pick itself up. The same cannot be said of AFL who have gotten off scott free this time.

Lets hate the double standards and shoddy journalism.

The hate is a device to entertain our souths lu lads. Its some fun.

No, I'm not fooled by a smear campaign. The ABC ran a story that just so happened to disturb the game and damage the Matty Johns industry.

Most of those who follow the game, we are probably more forgiving about player indescretions. We can live vicariously through our heroes and can remember (and sometimes regret) the odd rogue moment in our own lives. Theres a sense of youthfulness and adventure in league fans that you dont find amongst the general populace. We are not too quick to judge.

But the message to the general public and the sponsers of the game is that bad people are involved in the game. We are impetuous and have base standards. We are uncivilised yobbos from a cave-man era. We perpetuate an old ignorant and violent means of existence.

Whether we like it or not, the Matty Johns incident just reinforces these unkind and largely innacurate stereotypes.

The supposedly "evil conduct" itself is replaced by a sense of bad feeling for the game and indirectly for us. That is why Gallop was tough.

But I dont think its a conspiracy.

As I suggested earlier, Matty has tried to help us make sense of the game by de-fusing notions of headstrong competition and asking us to look at the game in a more personal and humourous light. Its an extension of Roy of HG's approach.

In his book, which I own, the overall message is that at the end of the day its just one big game. He asks us to enjoy it and the people in it. Some of the stories are pathetic, but he himself comes across as very likeable.

So its a real tragedy that his progressive, worthwhile and essentially humanistic message now seems lost to us.

He didnt march around like some vigilante, moralistic, holier-than thou demi-god. He was passionate about things, but he wasnt an asshole.

And my bet is that the void left by his departure will be filled by someone trying to do a similar thing.

Not straight away, but it will happen because Matty has proved there is a strong market for this explanation and humourous characterisation of the game.

Whether anybody else can carry it off like he could...that remains to be seen.

caspersparks

Juniors
i think we should ALL remember, at a basic level: we have 2 different accounts of the same situation - and thats being filtered to us [filtered with a capital F] through the media...:roll:

bartman

Immortal
Is this the same society that has infidelity in 45%-50% of all marriages.
Maybe, but it's not just about infidelity alone. And it's not just about consensual group sex alone.

Wider society's moral judgement is I would guess probably based on the combination of the two, plus Johns' failure (as one of the two original participants) to stop his mates from coming in the room, and allowing them to participate and stay and watch and wank etc.

Thing about the average person out there when someone walks into their room when they're having consensus sex... their first reaction - usually the reaction of the dominant (male) partner is to shout at the person to get out. And they hastily do.

Not quite the same as leaving the curtain up or down and the bathroom window ajar as a signal to a waiting team to "come on in"... that's possibly the thing that is getting up the average person's goat about Johns' behaviour? Not as easy to dismiss with a simple generalisation, that one... :(

Cloud9

The hate is a device to entertain our souths lu lads. Its some fun.

No, I'm not fooled by a smear campaign. The ABC ran a story that just so happened to disturb the game and damage the Matty Johns industry.

Most of those who follow the game, we are probably more forgiving about player indescretions. We can live vicariously through our heroes and can remember (and sometimes regret) the odd rogue moment in our own lives. Theres a sense of youthfulness and adventure in league fans that you dont find amongst the general populace. We are not too quick to judge.

But the message to the general public and the sponsers of the game is that bad people are involved in the game. We are impetuous and have base standards. We are uncivilised yobbos from a cave-man era. We perpetuate an old ignorant and violent means of existence.

Whether we like it or not, the Matty Johns incident just reinforces these unkind and largely innacurate stereotypes.

The supposedly "evil conduct" itself is replaced by a sense of bad feeling for the game and indirectly for us. That is why Gallop was tough.

But I dont think its a conspiracy.

As I suggested earlier, Matty has tried to help us make sense of the game by de-fusing notions of headstrong competition and asking us to look at the game in a more personal and humourous light. Its an extension of Roy of HG's approach.

In his book, which I own, the overall message is that at the end of the day its just one big game. He asks us to enjoy it and the people in it. Some of the stories are pathetic, but he himself comes across as very likeable.

So its a real tragedy that his progressive, worthwhile and essentially humanistic message now seems lost to us.

He didnt march around like some vigilante, moralistic, holier-than thou demi-god. He was passionate about things, but he wasnt an asshole.

And my bet is that the void left by his departure will be filled by someone trying to do a similar thing.

Not straight away, but it will happen because Matty has proved there is a strong market for this explanation and humourous characterisation of the game.

Whether anybody else can carry it off like he could...that remains to be seen.

Too long.

But I get the gist of what you're saying. There needs to be and there will be a new culture within the game. Percy Le Blanc is replaceable.

Flapper

First Grade
Maybe, but it's not just about infidelity alone. And it's not just about consensual group sex alone.

Wider society's moral judgement is I would guess probably based on the combination of the two, plus Johns' failure (as one of the two original participants) to stop his mates from coming in the room, and allowing them to participate and stay and watch and wank etc.

Thing about the average person out there when someone walks into their room when they're having consensus sex... their first reaction - usually the reaction of the dominant (male) partner is to shout at the person to get out. And they hastily do.

Not quite the same as leaving the curtain up or down and the bathroom window ajar as a signal to a waiting team to "come on in"... that's possibly the thing that is getting up the average person's goat about Johns' behaviour? Not as easy to dismiss with a simple generalisation, that one... :(

But it isn't that easy to stop a large amount of men walking into a room is it? Matthew Johns isn't the biggest of men, if a half dozen drunk men come in there ain't much of a chance of him stopping it, no matter how much he yelled. Locking the door would be his only chance, but if some of these players were that keen, they'd probably smash the door in.

That said, he probably didn't do that, but I've had a large number of people walk in on me during sex, it's hard to get them to leave (probably because they're doubled over with laughter)

Dave Q

Coach
Too long.

But I get the gist of what you're saying. There needs to be and there will be a new culture within the game. Percy Le Blanc is replaceable.

It wasnt too long, I didnt even raise the girl.

A lot of people are taking Matty for granted because he makes things look so easy.

But I feel that he is quite a clever and creative talent and not too many people are highlighting this important contribution to the game.

bartman

Immortal
But it isn't that easy to stop a large amount of men walking into a room is it? Matthew Johns isn't the biggest of men, if a half dozen drunk men come in there ain't much of a chance of him stopping it, no matter how much he yelled. Locking the door would be his only chance, but if some of these players were that keen, they'd probably smash the door in.
Come on... you saying 30 yo Matt Johns didn't have the respect of his teammates? :roll:

That said, he probably didn't do that, but I've had a large number of people walk in on me during sex, it's hard to get them to leave (probably because they're doubled over with laughter)
:lol: I wouldn't have thought it hard to get them to leave at all, through embarassment or respect?

But I'm guessing they didn't all drop dacks and start beating off and wanting a part of it though... that's the issue at the back of all this focus on Matty Johns, that's the public image nightmare for the league among the wider population it must attract to the game.

Kiki

First Grade
do u guys really think that the other guys just happened to walk in while Matthew was having sex with the girl?? like it was a coincidence? very naive if you think thats the case.

Im lucky to remeber who i had sex with 7 yrs ago...go to anyyyy club and youd find stories of this going on....7 irs and you get sacked for it now..!!the only person he has to answer to is hid wife and if they are thru it then just let it be...they could have mucked racked anyone from 70 80 90...60s

Big Mick

Referee
Lol Noa, your spelling tonight is classic. Anyhoo, I don't recall hearing Johns say that? Did he say that tonight?

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/813447/matthew-johns-refutes-womans-claims

Its about 6 minutes in.

Now on for the next bit of the post.

I'll be honest...after watching that...I really don't know what to believe.

I notice that ABC didn't mention what she may have said that is documented in police reports...so that automatically shows a slanted bias towards one side of a story.

But what I don't get is...how can his so called teammates sit back...and let him get smashed by this...I just...can't understand that.

As I said last night...I don't think any party in this is innocent....but it delves deeper and may make people more aware of a problem that is being faced every day in our society.

Flapper

First Grade
Come on... you saying 30 yo Matt Johns didn't have the respect of his teammates? :roll:

Respect means sh*t when your team's liquored up. I know what you're saying, but obviously alcohol's been involved. I'm just talking hypotheticals anyway, I'm not saying that's what happened.

Shorty

Staff member
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/813447/matthew-johns-refutes-womans-claims

Its about 6 minutes in.

Now on for the next bit of the post.

I'll be honest...after watching that...I really don't know what to believe.

I notice that ABC didn't mention what she may have said that is documented in police reports...so that automatically shows a slanted bias towards one side of a story.

But what I don't get is...how can his so called teammates sit back...and let him get smashed by this...I just...can't understand that.

As I said last night...I don't think any party in this is innocent....but it delves deeper and may make people more aware of a problem that is being faced every day in our society.
Good post.
The teammates and others involved really are the scum of the Earth.
What's more disturbing is Matt appears willing to take the fall.