What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has Matthew Johns been treated unfairly?

Has Matthew Johns been treated unfairly?

• Yes. It has gone way too far.

Votes: 172 74.1%
  • No. He deserves everything he gets.

Votes: 60 25.9%

• Total voters

Generalzod

Immortal
Now that Channel 9 has stood down Matthew for moral reasons, can they also stop advertising material that downgrade women.

Apey

Staff member
Why did 4 corners use an incident that happened 7years ago as an example to promote footballers behaving badly. Why not use a recent incident?

Big question for me too. Why bring this up, of all sexual incidents?

Because he's a celebrity? Well, well.. how very interesting..

Ice Ice Brady

Juniors
Why did 4 corners use an incident that happened 7years ago as an example to promote footballers behaving badly. Why not use a recent incident?
What did she expect was going to happen have tea and cookies...She is much to blame as Matthew.

Because they may not have wanted to affect the outcome of investigations. The Bulldogs incident is still quite recent and one would have to assume that any names brought up from that incident would lead to a civil court case (even though, if one really wanted to find out who was involved, it wouldn't take too much effort) and the Stewart's case is ongoing.

One might think that if Matt Johns accepted the invitation to be interviewed 4 Corners may have been easier on him and he'd have an opportunity to have his side aired with equal attention rather than a response to being cut from 9.

Now that Channel 9 has stood down Matthew for moral reasons, can they also stop advertising material that downgrade women.

the double standards are mind blowing.

Especially when you consider the controversy a few weeks ago about the smut advertised during the Manly v melbourne game in melbourne.

Canard

Immortal
If you can't see that there is something hugely intimidating and disturbing for a 19 year old teenager to be confronted with 12 grown men when she consented to two then there is something wrong with you.

Could have not said it any better, thats the crux of the whole matter.

squiddy

Juniors
Could have not said it any better, thats the crux of the whole matter.

Hang on , I agree with the sentiment of the post but grown men ?? Some of them were probably younger than she was .

The numbers of men would have been intimidating sure

Matt23

Staff member
This is nothing but another example of the Media trying to rubbish Rugby League, and usual the AFL comes out smelling like roses. I hope Matthew Johns sues Channel Nein.

Generalzod

Immortal
If you can't see that there is something hugely intimidating and disturbing for a 19 year old teenager to be confronted with 12 grown men when she consented to two then there is something wrong with you.
Do you know this as fact???

sting

Bench
Or maybe she consented to having sex with Matt and someone else. When she realised that there was more people in there, she felt that she was being taken advantage of? I don't know if that is rape, but it is certainly illegal.

That is why I asked the question. Obviously the answer is no. Thanks for answering your own question on that - you clearly don't have any understanding or sympathy to victims of sexual assault.

you are a deadset dribbler. gtfo

Coaster

Bench
IMO Johns has no other option but to seek to resolve this in court, it has gone to far in the media to regain any dignity.

I would be going on the offensive if i was him.

She admitted consensual sex with Johns, he has done nothing legally wrong. People here are also forgetting the fact she stated that players climbed through the bathroom window, that also clears him of instigating unwanted partners into the room. Apart from being a total idiot, and insulting the girls feelings with pathetic attempts at humor, he personally has been unjustly crucified by the angry mob.

BIKER_DRAGON

Juniors
The 9 network's marquee program Underbelly makes good ratings so its perfectly acceptbele to have a "wife basher" on there.

What Mat Newton did is a billion times worse that what Mathew Johns did. (Consentual group Sex V's Physical Spousal abuse)

Where were the calls to have his (Newton's) overgrown head to be pulled off Underbelly??

Absolutely Disgraceful Channel 9!!

Double Standards but hey in the plastic world those twinkies live in money buys your justice

Ice Ice Brady

Juniors
IMO Johns has no other option but to seek to resolve this in court, it has gone to far in the media to regain any dignity.

She admitted consensual sex with Johns, he has done nothing legally wrong. People here are also forgetting the fact she stated that players climbed through the bathroom window, that also clears him of instigating unwanted partners into the room. Apart from being a total idiot, and insulting the girls feelings with pathetic attempts at humor, he personally has been unjustly crucified by the angry mob.

A court case would involve dragging the names of the other players involved into the open.

I highly doubt Matthew Johns would want to do that.

Ray Mosters

Juniors
People really need to stop talking about rape and sexual assualt...there was exactly none of that here.

Look, if and when you get your c**k out in a situation that is immoral or explotative to participants you are putting yourself at risk.

If you f**k someones wife, or you f**k around on your wife, then yes its a personal matter and certainly not illegal but you are putting yourself at the risk of that persons discretion. If she wants to ring up your wife or she tells her husband and he comes around looking to beat the piss out of you, then you really have noone to blame but yourself.

If you end up in a situation that exploits someone else, like group sex, or videod situations, or whatever, that exploit drunken or otherwise vulnerable people, then once again you are protected by their discretion going forward, and in addition you are culpable for that persons suffering afterwards.

This woman is perfectly within her rights to feel abused by these players, and perfectly within her rights to tell anyone she likes about it, news media included.

I think Johns has been treated perfectly fairly for what he did: he didnt break the law and shouldnt go to jail, but what he and the other guys did was take advantage of a drunk and stupid girl and emotionally damaged her for life. Shes certainly not the victim of a crime, but shes still definitely a victim.

If he loses his career and marriage for that, then so be it, those are the potential consequences for doing what he did.

Its just a pity he is dragging the code down with him.

Coaster

Bench
A court case would involve dragging the names of the other players involved into the open.

I highly doubt Matthew Johns would want to do that.

Yeah your right, i only feel sorry for his kids. This feeding frenzy is out of control, it will take a incident like him necking himself, for us all as a society to see how totally wrong this public stoning mentality is.

We employ law officials for this very reason, to deal with these situations and discover the truth behind the lies. I am personally disgusted at the way this whole thing has been handled. And flabbergasted at the low life scum like Wilson, who look at this as an opportunity to get her own biased hate filled venom into the public's eye.

Apey

Staff member

agreed.

Who would this legal action be against? The woman, Ch 9, News Ltd, Fairfax, the ABC? I'd suggest it would be dangerous for him to take any civil action, given the standard of proof required in court is much less than in a criminal case. I think a civil case would expose plenty of evidence that Johns and the other players and the Sharks would not want exposed. I'd expect his legal and PR advisors would be telling him to lie as low as possible and hope it all blows over, forgiven and forgotten and all that.

Ice Ice Brady

Juniors
Who would this legal action be against? The woman, Ch 9, News Ltd, Fairfax, the ABC? I'd suggest it would be dangerous for him to take any civil action, given the standard of proof required in court is much less than in a criminal case. I think a civil case would expose plenty of evidence that Johns and the other players and the Sharks would not want exposed. I'd expect his legal and PR advisors would be telling him to lie as low as possible and hope it all blows over, forgiven and forgotten and all that.
istockphoto_2634771_hitting_a_nail_on_the_head.jpg

lockyno1

Post Whore
Unfairly..um maybe he should not have done it in the first place.

No Johns= more credibility for Ch9. Great decision!

Latest posts