What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has Matthew Johns been treated unfairly?

Has Matthew Johns been treated unfairly?

• Yes. It has gone way too far.

Votes: 172 74.1%
  • No. He deserves everything he gets.

Votes: 60 25.9%

• Total voters

sneagle

Juniors
Just saw and ad for A Current Affair and it said Tracey Grimshaw would be interviewing Mathew JOhns......

hellteam

First Grade
Johns cops it because... he and Firman should not have allowed anyone else into the room, end of story.

She naively gave her consent to go back to a room with two guys, which is clearly different to expecting another four different guys to have sexual contact with you, while another five or however many were let into the room to stand around and nakedly watch and get off on it.

To have let other people into the room, and allowed them to stay there is for Johns and Firman to breach the understanding of consent between the parties at the point where she agreed to and came into the room with just two others. Think about what you'd do when someone walks in on you when you're in the middle of consenusal sex with someone (or even two other people) - you'd yell at them to get out of the room, and usually they would happily do so.

But not in this case, where with reports of the signals of the curtain and the bathroom window and the eager participation of ten others, it may well appear to have been a planned group activity, not fully discussed with one of the parties upfront? That's why Johns apparently said sorry to her afterwards - that's why it's different to Warne cheating on his wife, and that's why Johns is (rightly imo) now being stood down from involvement with the game.

Gotta love rugby league culture sometimes... :?

That's exactly right --- just because she consented to having sex with 2 poeple doesnt mean she consented having 6 people watch.

ozjet1

i can see the reb wilson's twist in her next article..........'majority of league fans on footy forum think Maty Johns did nothing wrong.'

for the record i voted - yes, it's gone too far!

also, here's a different opinion i grabbed off the league forum on big footy.

One man has been made a scapegoat for the wrongs of rugby league, writes The Finktank.

Matthew Johns should not have been stood down by Channel Nine. He should not have been publicly humiliated by the ABC. He should not be called to account by self-appointed guardians of the greater good like Tracy Grimshaw and Rebecca Wilson.

He should not have had his name dragged through the proverbial mud by what, for me, was one of the flimsiest stories ever to appear on Four Corners.

I don't need to recrudesce the contents of Monday night's "The Code of Silence", a story by Sarah Ferguson. The tabloids, airwaves and worldwide web are abuzz with the fallout. Everyone's having a field day while the life of a popular and good man, Johns, is on the ropes. His reputation is destroyed. His family is in newfound grief.

His career in the media and in coaching, so we were informed Wednesday afternoon, is down the toilet.

He is a human being in crisis – and for what?

The woman at the centre of the story regarding Johns has never claimed he did not gain her consent. Nor has she made a claim against Brett Firman, the other man she went with to Room 21 of the Racecourse Hotel in Christchurch in 2002. Yet they were the only two players Four Corners saw fit to name and publicly shame in its pernicious story.

Why not name the other players who entered the room?

If anyone was crossing a legal line, it was them, because we do not know what consent they were given to participate in the sexual acts that took place. For the record, it is clearly stated in the program: "Four Corners doesn't say that what took place... was sexual assault."

Johns's only failing was a moral one – and how many of us have made those?

He stayed in the room and did not leave until it was over. It presumably did not even occur to him that the woman was in distress.

From my viewing of the story and from reading the transcript, at no stage was "Clare" asked by Four Corners if she said "no" or "stop" or attempted to leave or asked Johns or Firman to stop other players entering the room.

Yet Johns, a man who made a simple, significant but private moral mistake seven years ago, is being made a very public scapegoat for the illicit/debased sex culture of a whole sport and our own society.

Obviously "Clare" has been greatly affected by what happened that night in Christchurch. That is upsetting to see and no one enjoys seeing anyone in such distress. But she is not alone. Her story is not unusual.

Group sex is often regretted by those that participate in it. Clinical depression can sometimes be the result. Mental anguish and trauma is common, as are relationship break-ups.

Many make a decision at the time that they subsequently regret. Yet typically they take personal responsibility for their actions.

Why did Four Corners not ask "Clare" if she took any responsibility for hers? And while Four Corners showed admirable sympathy for her clear distress, why then compound the distress of others?

Much was made of a comment made by a young man in a filmed sequence of a group of under-20 players at a lecture on consent. What he said was ill considered, naïve and worrying. But why choose to put his name and face on the screen so he can be humiliated for the rest of life for something he said he didn’t really think through properly? The boy is not even 20.

In my view it was malicious. Just as it was malicious to dredge up the sorry tale of Dane Tilse, another naïve young man, who never went to court for his alleged indiscretion in Bathurst in 2005 but who paid a hefty personal and professional price and is trying, so we heard from the program, to get on with his life and football in Canberra and has "never had a problem since".

(The woman involved, identified in the story as "Caroline", appears, from what was revealed in her interview with Ferguson, to have a legitimate complaint against Tilse but she had her own reasons, stated in the program, for not pursuing it with police. Who are we to definitively judge what happened? That is the business of the courts, not current affairs shows.)

And why give so much airtime, again unchallenged, to Sarah Durazza, the woman at the centre of the Anthony Watmough affair, who can come up with such a preposterous assertion that "males talking over females, and you know, doing that in public it's violence against women".

I'm sure there are a lot of females out there who would disagree with Durazza and who have no problem handling themselves with boorish yobs in pubs.

But the main target in this shoddy story all along was Matthew Johns.

Ferguson, Four Corners, the ABC, the NRL and his own employer Nine have done a fine "job" on him. If anyone needs to take a good long hard look at themselves this afternoon, it's them, not him.

They all have blood on their hands.

bartman

Immortal
That's exactly right --- just because she consented to having sex with 2 poeple doesnt mean she consented having 6 people watch.
Cheers :thumn, someone here actually understands how this wasn't all actually consensual, and the responsibility Johns had in that.

Ice Ice Brady

Juniors
I read about a quarter of that and stopped.

"Why weren't any other players named?"

I'll tell you why. BECAUSE SHE DID NOT RECOGNISE ANY OF THEM.

ozjet1

The first 10 mins of 9 News was an ad for ACA :lol:

they'll finally trump todaytonight in the ratings for 1st time in who knows how long.

anyone think its poor form of c9 turning a negative into some sort of positive for themselves?? do they realise that they might be damaging theor product (i.e., rugby league) further???

Ice Ice Brady

Juniors
they'll finally trump todaytonight in the ratings for 1st time in who knows how long.

anyone think its poor form of c9 turning a negative into some sort of positive for themselves?? do they realise that they might be damaging theor product (i.e., rugby league) further???
Marketing 101 - any news is good news.

rabbitohs

Juniors
Cheers :thumn, someone here actually understands how this wasn't all actually consensual, and the responsibility Johns had in that.

Doesn't the fact that she is bringing this up 7 years later and did not pursue it in the courts possibly hint that this girl may not be the most truthful?

Doesn't the fact that she is bringing this up 7 years later and did not pursue it in the courts possibly hint that this girl may not be the most truthful?

She tried to pursue it with the police at the time. The case did not proceed due to lack of evidence, which is, I guess of it being her word vs x players - the police decided there wasn't enough evidence to prosecute.

As for the 7 years later, I don't think she sought out the publicity. I suspect the Brett Stewart case opened the door for 4 Corners to investigate player behaviour and they found out about her and she was willing to talk to them. I'd have thought she had ample opportunity to tell all if she'd wanted earlier - eg in 2004 when the Bulldogs were in the news for the same sort of thing.

ozjet1

I read about a quarter of that and stopped.

"Why weren't any other players named?"

I'll tell you why. BECAUSE SHE DID NOT RECOGNISE ANY OF THEM.

dont you think she would have been shown pics of sharks players during the investigation in an effort to identify who was involved?

rabbitohs

Juniors
She tried to pursue it with the police at the time. The case did not proceed due to lack of evidence, which is, I guess of it being her word vs x players - the police decided there wasn't enough evidence to prosecute.

As for the 7 years later, I don't think she sought out the publicity. I suspect the Brett Stewart case opened the door for 4 Corners to investigate player behaviour and they found out about her and she was willing to talk to them. I'd have thought she had ample opportunity to tell all if she'd wanted earlier - eg in 2004 when the Bulldogs were in the news for the same sort of thing.

That's kind of my point. No evidence = no case to answer. What she has done is attempted a contemptible trial by media 7 years after the event. Having re-read the transcript there are a lot of 'maybes' for something that is supposedly so entrenched in her mind.

Surely she would be able to identify the perps by photo's of them even.

Her ANONYMOUS claims on TV suggest someone not wholly at one with the truth.

I am no fan of Johns (bugs the hell out me) BUT everyone is entitled to their rights under law. Right to a fair trial etc. He has received none of this just so tv ratings can be boosted.

I've never met a nicer bloke and I'm not prepared to crucify him when he hasn't been charged or convicted of a crime.

And anyone who thinks what happened is morally wrong, who are you to push your morality on anyone?

The only people he needs to answer to, as far as I am concerned, are his family members.

Ice Ice Brady

Juniors
I've never met a nicer bloke and I'm not prepared to crucify him when he hasn't been charged or convicted of a crime.

And anyone who thinks what happened is morally wrong, who are you to push your morality on anyone?

The only people he needs to answer to, as far as I am concerned, are his family members.

I genuinely feel sorry for him and his family.

The guys who were involved and aren't coming forward should be ashamed of themselves because they are gutless.

Surely

Post Whore
They are turning into a witch hunt, now the league apparently has to identify the other players according to grimshaw.

What they have done is cause enormous pain to his wife and children, they are disgusting vultures.