What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has Matthew Johns been treated unfairly?

Has Matthew Johns been treated unfairly?

• Yes. It has gone way too far.

Votes: 172 74.1%
  • No. He deserves everything he gets.

Votes: 60 25.9%

• Total voters

Ice Ice Brady

Juniors
A bit of double standards here because we have andrew johns on one hand who has actually admitted to taking drugs so with this there is no debating ,he was forgiven he has moved on and now still appears and works for channel 9.

Because the only damage Andrew Johns did was to himself.

There is plenty of debate over whether the use of recreational drugs should be decriminalised because we are losing the "War on Drugs". But that is a different topic of course.

But the two incidents are quite different.

Blind Freddy

Juniors
The girls in Warne's shenanigans were willing participants. They were only with him, not a conga line of blokes...

We are talking about Mathew Johns only here. Right??

From the ABC story the female in question has said that her "time" with Johns and Firman was consentual,
other players came into the room later.

It's a tv show, and they're actors...censorship of violent/sexual material on the tv is a separate conversation.

Bloody hell mate get with it. Mathew Newton has been before the courts for punching his girlfriend at the time. IN REAL LIFE!!

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,21891731-2702,00.html

So why has channel 9 decided to be moral crusaders now (like alot of people on here) and taken the path to be against Mathew Johns?? When they've llet spouse bashers act in their marquee program????

I think its repulsive a person who has physically bashed their partner is alowed to carry on having a career on TV, but another has been stood down for having a consentual sexual liason.

Last edited:

Apey

Staff member
Yeh. High ratings for the ABC will certainly lead to higher advertising revenue.

:roll::lol:

Lol where did I say that ratings for the ABC will lead to higher advertising revenue? Cute little troll can't even comprehend.

I said they get ratings, which is what they want.

sneagle

Juniors
channel 10 Sydney just did their report on him

and guess where they were getting opinions from?

an AFL ladies lunch :roll:

Yeh great opinions there...notice they didn't ask anything on conduct of AFL players....;-)

Channel 10 also reported that Mathew Johns will be giving his version of the events in question within the next few days - which is apparantly very different than what was reported by 4 Corners... Should be interesting?
I guess then we will have both sides of the story.

Flapper

First Grade
So where do you think reports should go to find ladies who actively enjoy sport.

Going out onto the street would not necessarily garner the appropriate reaction because most females take no to little interest in sport.

I guarantee if there was an NRL ladies lunch, that the reporter would have gone there to get opinion. So your point is null and void. Go back to your hole.

But don't you think AFL supporters would give opinions skewed against the NRL in the first place? That's why it's a stupid place to get opinions about the NRL, it'd be like coming here to talk about the next AFL scandal.

Shorty

Staff member
We are talking about Mathew Johns only here. Right??

From the ABC story the female in question has said that her "time" with Johns and Firman was consentual.

Bloody hell mate get with it. Mathew Newton has been before the courts for punching his girlfriend at the time. IN REAL LIFE!!

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,21891731-2702,00.html

So why has channel 9 decided to be moral crusaders now (like alot of people on here) and taken the path to be against Mathew Johns?? When they've llet spouse bashers act in their marquee program????

I think its repulsive a person who has physically bashed their partner is alowed to carry on having a career on TV, but another has been stood down for having a consentual sexual liason.
Was Underbelly still filming? I think it had finished.
Also, is Underbelly a program directed at families?

Yeh great opinions there...notice they didn't ask anything on conduct of AFL players....;-)

Channel 10 also reported that Mathew Johns will be giving his version of the events in question within the next few days - which is apparantly very different than what was reported by 4 Corners... Should be interesting?
I guess then we will have both sides of the story.
He should have said something more all along, perhaps he could have not risked his job if he has a different account.

Ice Ice Brady

Juniors
Lol where did I say that ratings for the ABC will lead to higher advertising revenue? Cute little troll can't even comprehend.

I said they get ratings, which is what they want.

You imply that the only reason that ABC ran this story was for ratings.

How about the legitimate concerns that professional athletes in Australia take advantage of women and are often not caught because the club they represent is willing and able to cover it up?

bartman

Immortal
Just to clear up, I'm not talking about the other players who may of later joined we are talking about Mathew Johns only.

So why does Johns cop it and Warnie doesn't?
Johns cops it because... he and Firman should not have allowed anyone else into the room, end of story.

She naively gave her consent to go back to a room with two guys, which is clearly different to expecting another four different guys to have sexual contact with you, while another five or however many were let into the room to stand around and nakedly watch and get off on it.

To have let other people into the room, and allowed them to stay there is for Johns and Firman to breach the understanding of consent between the parties at the point where she agreed to and came into the room with just two others. Think about what you'd do when someone walks in on you when you're in the middle of consenusal sex with someone (or even two other people) - you'd yell at them to get out of the room, and usually they would happily do so.

But not in this case, where with reports of the signals of the curtain and the bathroom window and the eager participation of ten others, it may well appear to have been a planned group activity, not fully discussed with one of the parties upfront? That's why Johns apparently said sorry to her afterwards - that's why it's different to Warne cheating on his wife, and that's why Johns is (rightly imo) now being stood down from involvement with the game.

Gotta love rugby league culture sometimes... :?

Ice Ice Brady

Juniors
But don't you think AFL supporters would give opinions skewed against the NRL in the first place? That's why it's a stupid place to get opinions about the NRL, it'd be like coming here to talk about the next AFL scandal.

No, actually I don't.

The only people that really care about the whole NRL v AFL thing are the people that post on LU and BigFooty. People who place a scarily amount of importance of their preferred sport over their lives.

The codes want to get the commercial benefit of making the most money but the whole rubbishing the other code thing is nonsense. Any smart administrator will tell you that is not a smart way of getting on top. Sports are not companies, which can be sold or collapse. They are hobbies that people will always love doing and will live forever.

So where do you think reports should go to find ladies who actively enjoy sport.

Going out onto the street would not necessarily garner the appropriate reaction because most females take no to little interest in sport.

I guarantee if there was an NRL ladies lunch, that the reporter would have gone there to get opinion. So your point is null and void. Go back to your hole.

Actually I think the street option would give a more broad view. Women who have no interest in sport at all have heard the story in some form. The opinion would have been apropriate. Going to an AFL lunch would see women with preconceived ideas about NRL giving opinions. Not likely to be supporters of NRL if they at a luncheon for League's main rival for fans, sponsors or media dollars.

Going to an NRL ladies luncheon would have been just as bad for the opposite reasons.

SO think before you tell people to go back to their hole Brady.

El Diablo

Post Whore

wtf are you on about?

they could have asked people in Sydney

no

they had to ask a bunch of Victorian women who follow AFL about NRL for the Sydney news

Apey

Staff member
You imply that the only reason that ABC ran this story was for ratings.

How about the legitimate concerns that professional athletes in Australia take advantage of women and are often not caught because the club they represent is willing and able to cover it up?

Yeah you definitely can't comprehend. I'm a nice guy so I'll help. First hint: look at the title.

This thread is about Matthew Johns. This thread is about the section on the 4corners program that discussed the Matthew Johns incident, not about the show itself.

Suffice to say, anyone with their brain switch set to on, or anyone who has read my other posts on the matter for that instance, would be able to come to the conclusion that my comment was directed at the inclusion of the Matthew Johns incident on this program.

Please tell me how that inclusion of this outdated incident is about 'the legitimate concerns that professional athletes in Australia take advantage of women'. He 'got away with it' because he didn't do anything incriminating.

Its inclusion was their main advertising angle. Its inclusion was completely unnecessary and the only winner was ABC - improved ratings for having the 'goss'.

Last edited:

Flapper

First Grade
No, actually I don't.

The only people that really care about the whole NRL v AFL thing are the people that post on LU and BigFooty. People who place a scarily amount of importance of their preferred sport over their lives.

The codes want to get the commercial benefit of making the most money but the whole rubbishing the other code thing is nonsense. Any smart administrator will tell you that is not a smart way of getting on top. Sports are not companies, which can be sold or collapse. They are hobbies that people will always love doing and will live forever.

It's not a good look, they went to an AFL lunch (a sport they're actively involved in) to get opinions about NRL (a sport their competitor is actively involved in).

There are plenty of sport loving women on the street, or women with an opinion on the matter, and it would've looked a lot less suss if they saw them instead.

The rubbishing of the rival codes may or may not be nonsense, but the truth is people usually like one and not like the other when it comes down to an AFL v NRL comparison.

bobbis

Juniors
I have no sympathy for him, while I don't see any evidence that hes guilty of a crime, the media has every right to publicize his actions. If because of his actions hes no longer marketable it is his own fault.

El Diablo

Post Whore
and here's the thought of AFL women before this was aired

WAGs reveal the truth about their

Percival raised her profile by writing a blog called Side by Side, about life as a WAG, last year for the AFL's website. It gave an insight into the highs and lows of the footy fishbowl from the frivolous ("Can you even compare neckless NRL beefies with God-like AFL blokes? Since hooking up with Tom, I now truly appreciate two things: one, an AFL man's body; and two, the hours of work a week that goes into that physique") to the fraught ("This will go down as one of the toughest moments in my life; consoling my dream-broken fiance over his loss. Oh sheesh, I'm tearing as I type").

Ice Ice Brady

Juniors
It's not a good look, they went to an AFL lunch (a sport they're actively involved in) to get opinions about NRL (a sport their competitor is actively involved in).

There are plenty of sport loving women on the street, or women with an opinion on the matter, and it would've looked a lot less suss if they saw them instead.

The rubbishing of the rival codes may or may not be nonsense, but the truth is people usually like one and not like the other when it comes down to an AFL v NRL comparison.

That is complete rubbish.

I know many AFL loving Victorian women who class RL players as rapists and no much more. It seems Channel Ten clearly went to theses women knowing exactly what the response would be.

Flapper

First Grade
That is complete rubbish.

Well I can only base it on the vast majority of people I know both here and in AFL cities that feel that way and opinions exrpessed on various websites I read bagging one of favour of their chosen code, but it certainly feels that way, the minority of the sports loving populace would profess to be a fan of both. But hey it's just an opinion, founded on my personal experiences, but still an opinion, feel free to think otherwise.

Ice Ice Brady

Juniors
I'm sorry analyst, I am having a lot of difficulty reading your posts and trying to work out your point.

The beauty of typing is that you can look at what you say and then edit or delete it as you see fit.

Latest posts