What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has the Sleeping Giant Finally Awoken?

Has the Sleeping Giant Finally Awoken?

• Yes

Votes: 66 47.8%
  • No

Votes: 72 52.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

eelandia

Juniors
Tommy Smith said:
Why no mention of accuracy when kicking a round ball? So you can just kick that one anywhere can you?

I knew i'd hurt a few peoples feelings over that comment. It's a simple matter of motor skills really. Its much easier to do things, or control a ball, with your hands (which is largely what league is about) than it is to do so with your feet. And it takes no skill at all to catch a ball and run into a wall of people. You do have your skill positions such as halfback but on a football field everyone (at the top level) has to be able to kick/control a ball properly.

But anyway the only reason i brought that up is because i was simply stating that junior playing numbers, even if they change alittle, shouldnt impact on league too much because there will always be enough capable of playing the sport. And its much more body shape specific. You're not going to get the huge kids all of a sudden wanting to play football.

No mention because I didn't see much accuracy last night. But seriously, if you practice kicking a ball enough it becomes second nature to most who try and shouldn't be considered an attribute that is superior. If catching a ball was so easy, sports that utilise the entire body such as League would never have a dropped ball.

Oh - and did I mention that you also need 'kahunas' to run into a brick wall and then skill to set up your teammates. These are skills which are hard to train for, unlike kicking a conforming round ball.

ali

Bench
I think the difference is, you don't have to have great hand eye coordination to make it in Rugby League. If you have the right physical attributes you can still make it. But if you are a little uncoordinated, you'll never make it at soccer.

ali said:
I think the difference is, you don't have to have great hand eye coordination to make it in Rugby League. If you have the right physical attributes you can still make it. But if you are a little uncoordinated, you'll never make it at soccer.

Ever heard of Gary Sprake?

He made it.

Tommy Smith

Referee
eelandia said:
No mention because I didn't see much accuracy last night. But seriously, if you practice kicking a ball enough it becomes second nature to most who try and shouldn't be considered an attribute that is superior. If catching a ball was so easy, sports that utilise the entire body such as League would never have a dropped ball.

Oh - and did I mention that you also need 'kahunas' to run into a brick wall and then skill to set up your teammates. These are skills which are hard to train for, unlike kicking a conforming round ball.
You've never played football have you? Because Ronaldinho has no skill...
From my experience most people who try to play football have two left feet. Very few have or ever will have genuine skill.

iggy plop

First Grade
Everlovin' Antichrist said:
There is a point to most of them, getting that point across is important.

I'm a fan of Soccer, just not A League Soccer.

What irks me is the attitudes of a few Soccer supporters who do a Recoba and actually think they have a divine right to call Soccer Football and other code's supporters should just accept it.

The fact is that calling its Football here is nothing more than ignorance and arrogance. If it's good enough for the blokes who got us to the WC finals to call it Soccer, why should a few pissants on a Rugby League forum not accept it as Soccer?

Because John O'Neill said so......

He'll call it Football for as long as they pay him. He called Union Football while they were paying him...

I heard an interview with Mark Viduka on 2UE and even he referred to the game as soccer throughout.

The idiots who have taken O'Neil's words as gospel need to be bitch slapped... hard.

Tommy Smith said:
From my experience most people who try to play football have two left feet. Very few have or ever will have genuine skill.

Do you ever stop talking sh*te?

Every sport at an Elite level(except AFL) has players with "genuine skill" because if it was as easy as you seem to think it is for every sport except Soccer, we'd all be doing it.

iggy plop said:
I heard an interview with Mark Viduka on 2UE and even he referred to the game as soccer throughout.

The idiots who have taken O'Neil's words as gospel need to be bitch slapped... hard.

Absolutely.

Dogaholic

First Grade
So, did you see the telecast on SBS last night and the Australian players that called it Soccer?

That's what acknowledgement is mate....

They know it's called Soccer here and accept it.

If your talking about the telecast on Wednesday night....NO, I was at the game.

I was at The Domain yesterday and all the players called it Football.

Inteviews that I've seen, the majority called it Football.

I don't really care what John O'Neil wants us to call it, or what the players call it. I Call it Football.

eelandia

Juniors
Tommy Smith said:

Played football from 6yrs to 18yrs. Rugby League Football, that is. But also learnt how to kick a ball and whilst I enjoy kicking a footy around, I feel it is more skillful to throw a correctly executed and accurate pass with your hands than your feet.

You probably think you can pass a footy with your hands, but guys like me would look at your style and think "that guy looks uncoordinated". Not many people I know can throw a pass correctly, accurately and looong.

Bringing the great Ronaldinho into the argument isn't really reflecting your average soccer player's skill - he is exceptional.

Lego_Man

First Grade
As a sport it's boring and poofy...played by whingers who take a dive and falsely scream in pain when they get a tap on the ankle, in order to get a penalty. I would rate it as not only a threat to the other codes, but a grave threat to the manhood of Australia.

Dogaholic said:
If your talking about the telecast on Wednesday night....NO, I was at the game.

I was at The Domain yesterday and all the players called it Football.

Inteviews that I've seen, the majority called it Football.

I don't really care what John O'Neil wants us to call it, or what the players call it. I Call it Football.

Well, the majority of players interviewed after the game called it Soccer from what I saw.

If it's good enough for the players who actually played the game to call it Soccer it should be acceptable to everyone to call it Soccer. In reality, I don't think the players give a rat's arse.

But you do and you'd rather use the word "it" than Soccer. You go out of your way not to use the word Soccer.

It's pretty pathetic actually...

sooperdooper

First Grade
Lego_Man said:
As a sport it's boring and poofy...played by whingers who take a dive and falsely scream in pain when they get a tap on the ankle, in order to get a penalty. I would rate it as not only a threat to the other codes, but a grave threat to the manhood of Australia.

jealous are you?
poofy? ok i guess there girlfriends and wives they have who are just among the best looking women in the world will think it is poofy as well?

the sheer skill factor of the game is amazing.

it is not a boring game to watch.

only because it doesnt have players who are 110kgs smashing each other does not make it boring

sooperdooper

First Grade
Well, the majority of players interviewed after the game called it Soccer from what I saw.

If it's good enough for the players who actually played the game to call it Soccer it should be acceptable to everyone to call it Soccer. In reality, I don't think the players give a rat's arse.

But you do and you'd rather use the word "it" than Soccer. You go out of your way not to use the word Soccer.

i have no comment anymore on your views, the game previously in Aus was soocer, i have always known it as football.

u can call it soccer while we call it football

Dogaholic

First Grade

I play the game and call it Football. I do not go out of my way to do this

sooperdooper

First Grade
eelandia said:
Played football from 6yrs to 18yrs. Rugby League Football, that is. But also learnt how to kick a ball and whilst I enjoy kicking a footy around, I feel it is more skillful to throw a correctly executed and accurate pass with your hands than your feet.

You probably think you can pass a footy with your hands, but guys like me would look at your style and think "that guy looks uncoordinated". Not many people I know can throw a pass correctly, accurately and looong.

Bringing the great Ronaldinho into the argument isn't really reflecting your average soccer player's skill - he is exceptional.

he is better than exceptional......

it is easier to throw a football pass 10 metres than a 30m long range pass that needs pin point accuracy

Dogaholic said:
I play the game and call it Football. I do not go out of my way to do this

So call it Soccer here in the NRL forum.

It's called compromise.

If it's no big deal it shouldn't trouble you to do that.

sooperdooper said:
have you heard of times change?

lol

Why are you talking on behalf of Soccer, you're a congenital idiot. If I was any of the other Soccer mafia here, I'd have put a hit out on you well before now.

sooperdooper

First Grade
It's not recognised as Football in a few countries, and it's not reconised as the sole owner of the name Football in any dictionary I've seen. You call it Football in the NRL section of a Rugby League forum and you'll get the same reaction you'd get if you were talking in a Pub to people who follow Rugby League. Derision.

"I'm going to stamp my feet until you stop calling it Soccer and call it Football"....

LOL

someone has issues

sooperdooper

First Grade
lol

Why are you talking on behalf of Soccer, you're a congenital idiot. If I was any of the other Soccer mafia here, I'd have put a hit out on you well before now.
but your not, thats the thing. a typical meathead you are, result to violence

Latest posts