What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Have Wests Tigers won 16 Premierships?

WalesCymru80

Juniors
I'm somebody who believes that history is very important to a sport - I like to see it being celebrated.

I'm just wondering how the NRL consider the history of the Premierships to be awarded.

Apparently Wests Tigers and St George Illawarra Dragons are considered seperate clubs - with no history whatsoever. I don't think this is right at all. These clubs clearly did not appear out of nowhere.

Should Wests Tigers have 16 Premierships? And should St George Illawarra Dragons also have 16 Premierships?

If that were the case there would only be 5 Premierships with no modern NRL team connection - Newtown Jets' 3 (1910, 1933, 1943) and North Sydney Bears' 2 (1921, 1922).

If the Central Coast Bears ever get into the NRL again should they start on 2 Premierships?

It is the same with foundation clubs. Apparently there are only two foundations clubs left but in reality there are three.

1999 destroyed so much history. It destroyed all foundation links (apart from the Roosters). 101 years very nearly destroyed.

Should the game link back to the past and the Dragons and Tigers in particular reclaim their roots? The Tigers could say "Formed 1908" on their badges for example.

Or is it rewriting history?

It just sounds like out of 104 Premierships, 35 are not connected to any modern team - which is not really true of 30 because... well they are...

(FYI I am not a Tigers nor a Dragons fan)

_Johnsy

Referee
TBH

The only people it concerns are WT fans. Why anyone else gives a shit is beyond me.

gronkathon

First Grade
I respect the premierships won by both clubs which founded the merger and they are part of the combined history of the club.

However Wests Tigers have won one premiership only

Slackboy72

Coach
12 + 3 + 1 = 16

If you want to say that Wests don't have 16 then you have to say the the Sydney Rooters only have 2 (2002, 2013) and Eastern Suburbs have 11.
Do Newcastle have 0 premierships because they are now possibly a different legal entity to the one that won 2 premierships? Same with Souths?
has any team that's re-structured their organisation get their slate wiped clean?

firechild

First Grade
12 + 3 + 1 = 16

If you want to say that Wests don't have 16 then you have to say the the Sydney Rooters only have 2 (2002, 2013) and Eastern Suburbs have 11.
Do Newcastle have 0 premierships because they are now possibly a different legal entity to the one that won 2 premierships? Same with Souths?
has any team that's re-structured their organisation get their slate wiped clean?

While a reasonable argument can be made for the Stains having 16, this argument is just plain f**king stupid.

papabear

Juniors
imo wests tiggers have won 16
and st george illawarra have won all theirs as well
so have easts/ sydney roosters

cronulla have won nil.

some people just like to carry on about semantics, that is tripe.

jono

Juniors
I feel a bit sorry for Beaver Menzies as far as records go. This guy is the epitome of one-club loyalty , and yet because Manly decided to get into bed with Norths his stats aren't counted as one club eg games played , tries scored

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm somebody who believes that history is very important to a sport - I like to see it being celebrated.

I'm just wondering how the NRL consider the history of the Premierships to be awarded.

Apparently Wests Tigers and St George Illawarra Dragons are considered seperate clubs - with no history whatsoever. I don't think this is right at all. These clubs clearly did not appear out of nowhere.

Should Wests Tigers have 16 Premierships? And should St George Illawarra Dragons also have 16 Premierships?

If that were the case there would only be 5 Premierships with no modern NRL team connection - Newtown Jets' 3 (1910, 1933, 1943) and North Sydney Bears' 2 (1921, 1922).

If the Central Coast Bears ever get into the NRL again should they start on 2 Premierships?

It is the same with foundation clubs. Apparently there are only two foundations clubs left but in reality there are three.

1999 destroyed so much history. It destroyed all foundation links (apart from the Roosters). 101 years very nearly destroyed.

Should the game link back to the past and the Dragons and Tigers in particular reclaim their roots? The Tigers could say "Formed 1908" on their badges for example.

Or is it rewriting history?

It just sounds like out of 104 Premierships, 35 are not connected to any modern team - which is not really true of 30 because... well they are...

(FYI I am not a Tigers nor a Dragons fan)

Balmain have won 11
Wests Magpies have won 4
Wests Tigers have won 1

St.George Dragons have won 15
St George-Illawarra have won 1

Thats fact.

In saying that, Balmain fans are entitled to say they've won 12 titles, Magpies fans 5, Dragons fans 16, Steelers fans 1, because the Mergers/JV's are an extension of their former club.

But historically speaking, they are new entities.

If you start counting them more than once then logically you create an error.

the former clubs can't be winning premierships after they merged/became JV clubs, because logically speaking, they don't exist.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Furthermore, just because a club changes its name, or goes private, but nothing else, then they don't become a new club.

There are only 2 foundation clubs remaining. If you claim Wests Tigers as a foundation club then you are also suggesting that Balmain and Wests will share their Premierships (ie Magpies have 16 premierships) and that the Wests Tigers is twice as old as the competition itself.

Which is just absurd and trying to start an argument for arguments sake.

God-King Dean

Immortal
Make no mistake gentlemen - Dragons have 16 premiership. That's right, we're better than you.

The only team who has more is South Sydney - and their last one was 1971, their fans are disgusting, and they are the LOLs now.

St George Illawarra: the greatest RL club that ever was, or ever will be.

Radical Rat

Juniors
Make no mistake gentlemen - Dragons have 16 premiership. That's right, we're better than you.

The only team who has more is South Sydney - and their last one was 1971, their fans are disgusting, and they are the LOLs now.

zzzzz.....

BennyV

Referee

There is no reasonable argument against this...

firechild

First Grade

But most of their premierships were in the black and white days so they're really not much better than Souffs. Modern era premierships are where it's at so Manly would be top of the list with Canterbury and Brisbane.

12 + 3 + 1 = 16

That is specious reasoning to say the least.

Wests Tigers are a joint venture rugby league club between the Western Suburbs and Balmain Rugby League Clubs, all of which are separate legal entities with the Wests Tigers established in 2000. Similarly is the St George-Illawarra Dragons.

The Sydney Roosters is the trading name of the Eastern Suburbs Rugby League Club. It is the one and same entity.