What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Have Wests Tigers won 16 Premierships?

Spot On

Coach
When 2 clubs merge into one new club, those premierships , spoons, club records etc. do not count toward the merged ventures records. Else you could just merge 5 or 6 clubs into one and claim 30+ premierships.

Tigers and Dragons each have one in their short existence as merged clubs. But that is still 1 more than the Sharks have. :) trying to claim other clubs records is a bit of a joke. Would Sharks fans feel like they won a premiership if they merged with Panthers, Eels or some other club with a a premiership? Im betting they wouldn't.

Exactly.

If I were a St George supporter I wouldn't differentiate between the two and I don't think any Dragons fans do either.

Make any arguments you want - you won't convince a single Dragons fan their club is different from the one they've always followed. It's just now it's bigger, stronger and with more family members. If you think that's a reason for them to be upset or ashamed of themselves then you're just mental.

But the fact remains that the St George Dragons don't exist so their 15 premierships are null and void.

Since the joint venture anyone I knew or met who is a Saints supporter thinks nothing changed, even when happily driving to the Gong and back.

Since the joint venture any Steelers fans I knew and the ones I meet once in a while still in the scarlet don't follow a team any more and it's a moot point if they still watch NRL as well.

Still, life goes on.

Lambretta

First Grade
But the fact remains that the St George Dragons don't exist so their 15 premierships are null and void.

The club is not null and void - they formed a joint partnership with the Illawarra Steelers

St George as a stand alone organisation still exists. They still have teams registered in the Harold Mathews and SG Ball competitions

Lambretta

First Grade
Since the joint venture anyone I knew or met who is a Saints supporter thinks nothing changed, even when happily driving to the Gong and back.

Since the joint venture any Steelers fans I knew and the ones I meet once in a while still in the scarlet don't follow a team any more and it's a moot point if they still watch NRL as well.

Still, life goes on.

I work with quite a few people from Wollongong.
St George seems to be the family team for all of them.

I'm not sure if they were Dragons fans prior to the merger or not. I haven't asked. But most people from the Gong I've met seem to follow the Dragons.

I work with quite a few people from Wollongong.
St George seems to be the family team for all of them.

I'm not sure if they were Dragons fans prior to the merger or not. I haven't asked. But most people from the Gong I've met seem to follow the Dragons.

Yeah. I reckon most people DGAF. They support the local team. TBH I used to rib mates about St Merge but it's been 16 years. That's a whole generation and another coming up that have no affinity to Wests/Balmain or Steelers. I wonder if Man Utd fans still get hung up about their merger?

bottle

Coach
I like the part where the fact that Saints have won 16 premmys gets under the skin of the haters so much that they spend many otherwise productive hours railing against it, a little like tilting at windmills
It delivers me great amusement.

BrissyRedV

Bench
I like the part where the fact that Saints have won 16 premmys gets under the skin of the haters so much that they spend many otherwise productive hours railing against it, a little like tilting at windmills

Gold :lol:

cooko

Juniors

I find the current tigers and dragons teams amusing. If they were my teams I'd probably want to live in the past too.

It looks like we won't need to worry about the 17 premierships debate for a long while yet...

BrissyRedV

Bench
I find the current tigers and dragons teams amusing. If they were my teams I'd probably want to live in the past too.

It looks like we won't need to worry about the 17 premierships debate for a long while yet...

Good to see you have accepted we have 16 premierships. Look forward to the 17 debate hopefully sooner than you think.

The club is not null and void - they formed a joint partnership with the Illawarra Steelers

St George as a stand alone organisation still exists. They still have teams registered in the Harold Mathews and SG Ball competitions

As an NRL entity they are null and void. St George Illawarra have won 1 premiership, how anyone can argue with that is amazing.

It's got nothing to do with haters, It's all about Facts. Anyone who says that Stg Illa have won more than 1 premiership are wrong, nothing else needs to be said.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
When two organisations merge, the previous entities cease to exist and become a single entity.

When two organisations create a joint venture, the organisations continue to exist in their own right and create a third entity (the joint venture).

Hence, the St George Dragons Rugby League Football Club and the Illawarra Steelers Rugby League Football Club continue to exist as separate entities however they each participate in, and own, the St George Illawarra Dragons Rugby League Football Club.

Not sure about West Tigers structure.
pretty much correct.

Tigers was a 50/50 merger in the NRL and the lower grades were allowed to be seperate in the interim to try and keep both sides from having some petulant bitchfight.

worked out well.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
how is this thread still alive?

Furthermore, I'm pretty sure the St.George DRLFC was established prior to 1921. They almost had a team in the 1908 premiership.

And if we're getting pedantic about Foundation clubs, you could loosely claim Parramatta as one, given that Cumberland had a side that represented the Parramatta region and wore blue and gold.

And if we want to get more accurate, then there'd only be one Foundation club - Newtown, as the Marrickville RU team were the first team play against the NZ All Golds in 1907 (under RU rules, but they participated in promoting a rebel code to RU). Nearly all of Marrickville's players ended up playing for Newtown in 1908.

magpie4ever

First Grade
pretty much correct.

Tigers was a 50/50 merger in the NRL and the lower grades were allowed to be seperate in the interim to try and keep both sides from having some petulant bitchfight.

worked out well.

MU,

Have you got any physical evidence that the Wests - Balmain (Wests Tigers) is a merger and not a joint venture; as both clubs still exist?

Latest posts