What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Have Wests Tigers won 16 Premierships?

Owen Da Saints

Juniors
Melbourne were never in that game; Manly played excellently and nobody would've beat them that day. Plus it's not like Melbourne were definitively the best team of '08; three teams finished on top, only separated by points difference.

In '99 the Dragons were up 14 points against a team they'd beaten by 20+ earlier that finals series. I'm not sure, but that might be the biggest lead given up in a grand final.

So what you're saying is a team that made it to the grand final in their 1st year (as St George Illawarra) from 6th position losing against a higher ranked team is more of a choke than ..... a team that won their 3rd consecutive minor premiership losing by a record score against a lower ranked team while cheating the cap by over 2 million dollars and were defending premiers ? :crazy:
That'll do me !

Last edited:

Jerkwad2000

Juniors
Dragons say they were established in 1921 on their merchandise. Why? Cause they consider themselves the same entity - which they clearly are not.

innsaneink

Referee
WTs have existed for 14 years.....
...and you think we've won 16 premierships?

We been busy...and I missed a lot

The 1948 Grand Final shows the stupidity of this argument. How can the Wests Tigers both have won and lost the Grand Final? The 1948 Grand Final was Balmain v Wests.

so does this mean that the West Tigers have 21 Wooden Spoons (Magpies 17 + Balmain's 4) in their 14 years in the comp??? And the St George Illawarra team with 6 (3 each for St George and Steelers).

So in hindsight, silly topic. Have won 1 comp each!

Explain the difference.

When two organisations merge, the previous entities cease to exist and become a single entity.

When two organisations create a joint venture, the organisations continue to exist in their own right and create a third entity (the joint venture).

Hence, the St George Dragons Rugby League Football Club and the Illawarra Steelers Rugby League Football Club continue to exist as separate entities however they each participate in, and own, the St George Illawarra Dragons Rugby League Football Club.

Not sure about West Tigers structure.

Knight Vision

First Grade
I'm somebody who believes that history is very important to a sport - I like to see it being celebrated.

I'm just wondering how the NRL consider the history of the Premierships to be awarded.

Apparently Wests Tigers and St George Illawarra Dragons are considered seperate clubs - with no history whatsoever. I don't think this is right at all. These clubs clearly did not appear out of nowhere.

Should Wests Tigers have 16 Premierships? And should St George Illawarra Dragons also have 16 Premierships?

If that were the case there would only be 5 Premierships with no modern NRL team connection - Newtown Jets' 3 (1910, 1933, 1943) and North Sydney Bears' 2 (1921, 1922).

If the Central Coast Bears ever get into the NRL again should they start on 2 Premierships?

It is the same with foundation clubs. Apparently there are only two foundations clubs left but in reality there are three.

1999 destroyed so much history. It destroyed all foundation links (apart from the Roosters). 101 years very nearly destroyed.

Should the game link back to the past and the Dragons and Tigers in particular reclaim their roots? The Tigers could say "Formed 1908" on their badges for example.

Or is it rewriting history?

It just sounds like out of 104 Premierships, 35 are not connected to any modern team - which is not really true of 30 because... well they are...

(FYI I am not a Tigers nor a Dragons fan)

Using this logic Newcastle should be considered a foundation club

When two organisations merge, the previous entities cease to exist and become a single entity.

When two organisations create a joint venture, the organisations continue to exist in their own right and create a third entity (the joint venture).

Hence, the St George Dragons Rugby League Football Club and the Illawarra Steelers Rugby League Football Club continue to exist as separate entities however they each participate in, and own, the St George Illawarra Dragons Rugby League Football Club.

Not sure about West Tigers structure.

Spoken like a true Dragon's fan.

Pugzley

That Third entity (St George Illawarra Dragons Rugby League Football club) entered and won the 2010 NRL competion. Not the First Entity (St. George Dragons Rugby League Football club) nor the Second Entity (Illawarra Steelers Rugby League Football club).

One.

SoftSydney

Juniors
12 + 3 + 1 = 16

If you want to say that Wests don't have 16 then you have to say the the Sydney Rooters only have 2 (2002, 2013) and Eastern Suburbs have 11.
Do Newcastle have 0 premierships because they are now possibly a different legal entity to the one that won 2 premierships? Same with Souths?
has any team that's re-structured their organisation get their slate wiped clean?

clutching at straws :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Saints did not restructure they merged with another club the name was splt and so was the strip, they have saints jersey Illawarras socks and their name is a combination of the two clubs that have come together to form a new club.

If u cant accept that then look at the records it lists SGI and WT as both with i premiership. GAME OVER

Latest posts