What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hayne escapes suspension, no such luck for Gibbs

WallyG

Juniors
Very, very nice. Let us know if she responds to you. When I opened the paper on Sat morning and read this, I thought she must have re-submitted the article from the previous clash. She seems to be on a Sharkies/Parra witch hunt.
By the way, who died and made her a league expert anyway?

FUIFUI_MOIMOI

Juniors
Eels face losing Hayne after Tigers' complaint

Glenn Jackson | August 24, 2009

Parramatta's finals prospects may hinge on the quality of extra vision the NRL match review committee requests today of an incident after the final whistle involving star player Jarryd Hayne and Wests Tigers forward Gareth Ellis.

The committee is likely to ask for extra footage of the incident, which occurred immediately after the Eels' 26-18 victory over the Tigers on Friday night.

The Tigers' complaints that Hayne used his forearm on their English import will be investigated by the panel today, as well as potentially another incident in the first half involving the star Parramatta fullback and John Morris.

Footage shown on the night of the later incident, which led to Hayne, who scored the match-sealing try for the Eels, accusing Ellis of being a sore loser and grandstanding for the cameras, was inconclusive. That has left the match reviewers little option but to pursue the matter further, given the incendiary comments by both camps in the aftermath as well as the footage which shows Ellis holding his face.

The Eels have won six consecutive matches, largely on the back of Hayne's brilliance, and even a short suspension could cruel their finals hopes. Their remarkable run has only left them in ninth spot, and they now face Penrith on Friday night in a match which could decide whether both sides are finals-bound or not.

The Tigers' own hopes were dealt an almost terminal blow on Friday night, and the aftermath may get worse for them. Tigers prop Bryce Gibbs's knees-first challenge on Eels winger Luke Burt, which resulted in an eight-point try, will also be heavily scrutinised by the match review committee after being placed on report by the on-field officials.

But at Newcastle, veteran Adam MacDougall has insisted he was the unfortunate victim in a case of mistaken identity after being reported for a high tackle on North Queensland's Travis Burns on Saturday night.
The centre was penalised by referee Jason Robinson after a three-man tackle on Burns in the 80th minute, leaving Burns dazed but MacDougall confused.

''I was put on report, but I wasn't even in the tackle,'' MacDougall said. ''I honestly can't tell you what it was for. I was just in shock … two guys ended up on the ground and I wasn't one of them.''

Cowboys players remonstrated with MacDougall as Burns lay prone on the ground. ''The Cowboys were obviously trying to get me to react and throw a punch, but I was aware of the fact they were trying to bait me,'' MacDougall said.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/lhqnews/...igers-complaint/2009/08/23/1251001811922.html

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25970918-2722,00.html

Eels in dual battle to save Hayne

Stuart Honeysett | August 24, 2009
Article from: The Australian

JARRYD Hayne faces an anxious wait this morning with the NRL's match review committee requesting additional television footage to determine if the Parramatta fullback dropped a forearm on Wests Tigers backrower Gareth Ellis.

That comes as Eels chief executive Paul Osborne confirmed he had approached the NRL last week over concerns his star player could be targeted by rugby union and that he has suspended all contract talks until the end of the season.

Tigers coach Tim Sheens said he was aware of something happening between Hayne and Ellis following the Tigers' loss to the Eels at the SFS even though both players later downplayed the incident. The two appeared to pull at each other's jumpers before Ellis fell over and Hayne landed on top of him with his forearm, but it is understood the initial replays are inconclusive and the match review committee needs additional footage to proceed with a charge.

Even a basic grade one striking charge would be disastrous for Hayne and the Eels' finals push as he has loading to be added from a dangerous throw against Brisbane last season -- meaning a one week suspension at least.

That would sideline Hayne for the Eels' match against Penrith at Parramatta Stadium on Friday night -- a game both clubs need to win or run the risk of finals oblivion.

"I'm not that concerned about the incident," Osborne said.

However, Osborne was worried enough about the future of the player regarded as the hottest in the game to visit NRL headquarters last week for a meeting with marketing manager Paul Kind and chief executive David Gallop.

The Parramatta boss said he was wary of Hayne becoming a target for rugby union clubs overseas although a new Melbourne Super 15 franchise could also be an option if Australia is awarded an extra team for the 2011 season.

Hayne is also managed by Wayne Beavis, who recently negotiated a lucrative contract for South Sydney utility Craig Wing to join a Japanese rugby union club.

"I'm more concerned about him going overseas to play rugby somewhere than I am for another NRL team," Osborne said.

"I made that pretty clear to the NRL -- he's the best player in the game at the moment -- and there's been precedents before."

The NRL provided some assistance to help keep former Newcastle champion halfback Andrew Johns in the game when he was contemplating a switch to rugby union in 2004.

However, it is understood the league is reticent to get involved in such matters ever since former St George Illawarra centre Mark Gasnier signed with French rugby union in 2007 after several third party agreements organised by the Dragons failed to materialise.

"In the short term we don't give any undertaking for any individual players but if sponsors showed interest we'd certainly refer them on," Kind said.

Regardless of any potential interest from the rival code or other NRL clubs, Osborne said he had suspended talks with Hayne -- who is contracted until the end of 2011 -- to allow him to focus on Parramatta's inspiring charge towards the finals.

Written off at the start of the year as they began rebuilding under coach Daniel Anderson, the Eels have been in dazzling form over the past six weeks with a red-hot Hayne leading the charge.

"Everyone is starting to froth at the mouth about it so we just thought it would be a good idea to put it on hold for a while and let him concentrate in footy," Osborne said.

Hayne might not be the only player to have a case to answer today with the match review committee also looking at an incident that saw Tigers prop Bryce Gibbs concede an eight-point try after dropping his knees into Eels winger Luke Burt.

The Tigers face the Gold Coast on Saturday night in a game they must win to keep their finals hopes alive and they could ill afford to lose another player to suspension after suffering a horrific injury toll.

The season of winger Taniela Tuiaki is over after he broke his leg while Chris Heighington (knee), Beau Ryan (knee) and Tim Moltzen (collarbone) are all in doubt to face the Titans.

FUIFUI_MOIMOI

Juniors
Ellis u big fkn girl, sore loser complaining cause his team lost. The siren goes and he tries to slam Hayne to the ground... He is lucky Hayne didn't crack him one.

El Diablo

Post Whore
whinging Tigers

be interesting to see if he gets suspended for a few games if he starts negotiating

if his manager wants to play silly buggers and we've made him a good offer then we should tell him to look elsewhere and use the money on others

caylo

Bench
tbh there is nothing in the Ellis incident, it doesnt even look like Hayne hits him flush and it definatly was accidental because hayne was being flung around after the siren. The incident on morris I cant seem to find so i have no idea what they are going on about then

Craig Johnston

First Grade
it's not ellis who is having a whinge, it's sheens and the coaching staff.

ellis was quoted after the match to say it was a nothing incident and that he was hurting more from the loss.

f**k off sheens you sore loser

FUIFUI_MOIMOI

Juniors
tbh there is nothing in the Ellis incident, it doesnt even look like Hayne hits him flush and it definatly was accidental because hayne was being flung around after the siren. The incident on morris I cant seem to find so i have no idea what they are going on about then

Remember the forward pass from benji that put Morris in the clear and hayne tried to shoulder charge him and he hurt himself?

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Around the 30th minute in the second half Caylo. Morris was changing direction and lowered his head. Nothing in it.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Wish I could be as confident as you. There was definitely something in the Ellis incident - I remember seeing Ellis' reaction, but prior to that I saw something and thought, "WTF was that?" But the 3am replay didn't bother replaying it.

But Hayne does have a history of a bit of a temper...

EELICIT

Juniors
Wish I could be as confident as you. There was definitely something in the Ellis incident - I remember seeing Ellis' reaction, but prior to that I saw something and thought, "WTF was that?" But the 3am replay didn't bother replaying it.

But Hayne does have a history of a bit of a temper...

I just watched it again, and there is definitely nothing in it. Ellis spun hayne around and launched him to the ground. Hayne simply curled his arm with ball closer to his chest so that he doesnt lose it cause it was somewhat of a loose carry. Ellis' head just happened to be in the way as hayne was curling his arm and falling to the ground. If anything Ellis should be tellins sheens and royce to stfu ! Ellis didnt react at all dont know what you mean by his reaction ???

EELICIT

Juniors
Absolute sooks ! Just looked at the so called incident and nothing in it at all. Just another thought about the injury toll on the tigers. We seem to injure alot of players in alot of teams week in week out. I'd like to think that its because we play aggresively and with shear bruteforce.

Glenn

First Grade

ellis was quoted after the match to say it was a nothing incident and that he was hurting more from the loss.

Least we know where some of the supporters get it from.

strider

Post Whore

i saw quotes from ellis after the game rambling on about how something hit him in the head .... seems he's had a sook too

oldmancraigy

Coach
Can the match review committee even do anything about an incident that occurred outside the boundaries of the match??? (ie - after the siren).

Ellis is a pinhead - trying to injure somebody after the siren, and he ends up hurting himself :lol:

There was nothing in it - and that's confirmed by the fact that they have requested 'additional footage' - clearly the standard footage has shown that there's nothing in it.

This little Tiger went to market
This little Tiger went home
These little Tigers went 'wah wah wah wah' all the way home....

Grow up losers!

Grail

Juniors
I said it during the game to the missus, that I'm worried about him getting suspended for the hit on Morris. It doesn't matter that Morris was falling, it never really does. He hit him flush across the back of the head. Can't remember much about the Ellis incident except for Hayne having a dig at him when Ellis was on the ground and Hayne was standing over him.

Glenn

First Grade
If Morris was upright at the time, then Hayne would be in hot water IMHO however with Morris on his way down by the time he reached Hayne, nothing in it.

Latest posts