What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hayne, Folau and Jennings tipped for GWS

hineyrulz

Post Whore
More bullsh*t from Vlad and his Cronies, sad to think how many take what they say as gospel.

I dont think its possible to be an awful afl player these are all the skills you need drop, fumble, kick, catch, push, bump, miss and get a point for trying thats about all the skill you need isnt it???:crazy:

Best summation of Fumbleball iv'e seen.
Also only need to be on field 5 mins at a time...you are an important part of the 100+ rotation system..

Brutus

Referee
Well done to the AFL.

They are not interested in simply co-existing with rugby league in the Western Sydney, they want to take over. When questioned about this whole issue being "a war" they take two steps back and say "we didn't say anything about a war, that's the media". But the way they have approached this entire expansion thing has been nothing short of bullish and arrogant and I really hope it backfires on them. Actually poaching current rugby league players and talking up the signing of another three or so more signals the fact that they are out to destabilise RL in the hope of gaining maximum exposure. The latest comments from the GWS Marketing Manager proves this. They talk of the fact Hayne, Jennings and Folau only ever played league was because league was the only option which is absolute rubbish. You could apply the same 'lack of options' logic to AFL players in Melbourne.

I can only imagine the outcry in Melbourne if,say, the shoe was on the other foot. Knowing the Melbourne media though, they'd probably give the code trying to infiltrate into the AFL zero coverage unlike what we are seeing with GWS.

It's a shame RL doesn't have its house in order to seriously repel this obvious competitor.

Last edited:

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Ugh, more AFL bullsh*t... Weren't they going to buy Homebush stadium a while ago? They come out with ridiculous PR statements every few months that never amount to anything yet they are always given airtime by the media.

russ13

First Grade
Can't believe Jennings was mentioned. He can't kick the ball!

That's what I was thinking. What's the use of his speed if he got bounce the ball every 10 metres or so.

Anyway if Hayne re-signs with Parra in the next few week he won't be available & Falou is contracted with Brisbane until the end of 2012.

m0nty

Juniors
The fact that these names were mentioned in the press at all means they're no chance of getting poached. If there were serious negotiations with any current league player, they would be under wraps.

While a Kieren Jack would be nice, I think it's more important for GWS to get a Paul Kelly or Brett Kirk. A local boy with strong leadership qualities to build a team around.

Brutus

Referee
As Gus Gould pointed out in his article today "If you want to make front-page headlines in this town, pick a fight against rugby league"

That is exactly the strategy the AFL have taken. Union tried it and failed, be interesting to see what happens here with an even more cashed up competitor

Big R

Juniors
I dont think its possible to be an awful afl player these are all the skills you need drop, fumble, kick, catch, push, bump, miss and get a point for trying thats about all the skill you need isnt it???:crazy:

as opposed to run, get tackled and pass. I think AFL might be too advanced for him. He better stick with NRL

Rudderriffic

Juniors
As was mentioned earlier, I don't even know if Jennings or Folau can kick a ball. And, without being an expert on the game, I think kicking is somewhat important.

Why don't the afl go after the Australian high jumper that's apparently pretty good. You know the one, the pasty ginger guy that can run moderatly fast and jump high. Makes about as much sense as going after Folau and Jennings.

El Diablo

Post Whore
both were decent administrators tbh, one of them f**ked up the other was a Fitzgerald cronie.

both were good at their jobs.

i recall Hill copping a lot for all the signings that went on under him and Hagan and how players had been paid overs and would have stayed for less

roopy

Referee
I love that the first thing the Melbourne Union side did was announce they are looking at AFL players - never mind that turning an AFL player into a union player would be like turning a ballet dancer into a shotputer - it's instant and free publicity.

Time for us to start making offers to AFL players, and when it doesn't work saying they weren't good enough to play league.

skeepe

Immortal
Still reeling from the defection of Karmichael Hunt? I'd already forgotten about him and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

The great thing about these sort of statements about who from the NRL would be good in AFL is that they can never, ever be wrong. Grant Wooden would have been an all-Australian, so lacking in skills is that awful, awful game.

Johns Magic

Referee
Still reeling from the defection of Karmichael Hunt? I'd already forgotten about him and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

The great thing about these sort of statements about who from the NRL would be good in AFL is that they can never, ever be wrong. Grant Wooden would have been an all-Australian, so lacking in skills is that awful, awful game.

Alan Tongue would probably struggle though.