What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hayne~NFL~RU~Tits~Eels~Dad~Jailed~Mistrial~Jailed 5yrs~Retrial~Jailed~Appeal~Quashed-Sued

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
Well the AFL stripped Cable of his playing honours without a second thought. Hayne seems in s similar boat - except for his claims that he intends to still appeal...

There's been talk of stripping Ben Roberts Smith and his SAS colleagues of medals, if war crimes are prosecuted and proven. I'm pretty sure Milli Vanilli lost awards. And Rolf Harris was stripped of his CBE and his OAM after his court cases were exhausted.

It's not revisionist history, it's acknowledging the impact of future on the past legacies.
Jarryd Hayne, Milli Vanilli, Ben Roberts Smith and Rolf Harris all in the same post. Where else but the LU Parramatta forum.

Chipmunk

Coach
I think it's a bit rich that the NRL removes Hayne's Dally M's, when there is an Immortal who passed away before he could be tried after he was charged with what would likely be considered more serious crimes.

And so does his nightclub biting incident, his Kings Cross bullet dodging incident, and his "cash money fam" bikie video incident - all of which occurred while he Hayne playing league - and taken together with more recent incidents paint a pretty linked up picture.

emjaycee

Coach
And so does his nightclub biting incident, his Kings Cross bullet dodging incident, and his "cash money fam" bikie video incident - all of which occurred while he Hayne playing league - and taken together with more recent incidents paint a pretty linked up picture.

And yet the NRL chose to give him his DallyM's after at least 2 of these incidents you have referenced had already occurred. Bit harsh now to say "oh hang on, these incidents plus one that occurred when you were no longer playing NRL, all add up to you not deserving to keep those awards". And you claim it wouldn't be revisionist of them?

OK, maybe it's just your obvious dislike for Hayne getting in the way of fair play thinking?

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, and I respect yours which seems to be that Hayne's past awards should be sacrosanct even in light of his subsequent offending and jail terms.

As the AFL moved swiftly to draw a line in the sand with its past honours in light of recipients subsequent behaviour, I personally won't lose sleep when the NRL (and Parramatta club) eventually decide to remove Hayne's award status.

I think it's entirely fair from the perspective of the game (NRL) and previous employer (Parramatta club) - and it seems from the posted article that they may just be waiting for Hayne's legal team to either formally not take up or exhaust their appeals avenues before doing so.

emjaycee

Coach
So in your opinion, when is the line crossed between keeping your sporting recognitions and losing them, based on subsequent behaviour and what or who should be the arbiter of what level of behaviour is deemed unacceptable to keep such awards?

emjaycee

Coach
FYI - Barry Cable was stripped of his Hall of Fame and 'Legend' status which both have some relationship to his character and I have no problem with stripping people of character based awards, if findings of their character later reveal them to be dubious in this regard - Rolf, Jimmy and the SAS guys all got 'character' based recognitions, Hayne didn't. DallyM's are awarded on based on performance, not character.

Similarly Barry Cable's 3 x Sanderson awards for being the 'best and fairest player' in the WA AFL comp have not been removed from him and he is still listed on their website as the recipient.

1688272804071.png

Source: https://wafl.com.au/honour/sandover-medal

So in your opinion, when is the line crossed between keeping your sporting recognitions and losing them, based on subsequent behaviour and what or who should be the arbiter of what level of behaviour is deemed unacceptable to keep such awards?
When the people who bestowed the award say the line is crossed. They (in this case the NRL and/or Parramatta club) should be the arbiters - they have the (commercial) reputation to protect based on their response to criminal behaviour etc.

In my opinion, Jarryd's crime against a woman crosses the line for losing official recognitions, whereas Dylan's crime doesn't. Based on the relative gravity of the incidents which made made their way through the court system. I support the NRL making the inevitable decision, even if they're approaching it slower than the AFL did recently.

Latest posts