What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hellberg Finalists

shiznit

Coach
If your row or play Rugby you are usually in with a good chance of winning some awards.
you reckon??

i reckon if your an All Black your at a disadvantage. because of our high expectation of them anything less than perfection isn't good enough for them.

The All Blacks can win 15 of 16 games and win all silverware possible and still miss out to a team that won 1 in 9 last season.

the question i have is.... How the hell can the All Whites can beat the All Blacks... when the AB's were nominee for team of the year in the laureus sports awards... :lol:

so the WORLD sports media considers the All Blacks as an elite sports team in the company of the World Champion Spanish Football Team, The LA Lakers, The European Ryder Cup Team & The Red Bull F1 team... yet the local 'experts' cant have them beating a team who won 1 in 9 this season... :lol:

Jesbass

First Grade
you reckon??

i reckon if your an All Black your at a disadvantage. because of our high expectation of them anything less than perfection isn't good enough for them.

The All Blacks can win 15 of 16 games and win all silverware possible and still miss out to a team that won 1 in 9 last season.

the question i have is.... How the hell can the All Whites can beat the All Blacks... when the AB's were nominee for team of the year in the laureus sports awards... :lol:

so the WORLD sports media considers the All Blacks as an elite sports team in the company of the World Champion Spanish Football Team, The LA Lakers, The European Ryder Cup Team & The Red Bull F1 team... yet the local 'experts' cant have them beating a team who won 1 in 9 this season... :lol:

I think you dropped these...

Lemon%20Icon.jpg

Lime%20Icon.jpg

;-)

shiznit

Coach
I think you dropped these...

Lemon%20Icon.jpg

Lime%20Icon.jpg

;-)
im not sour at all... i could care less about who the actual winner is... to be honest i would rather the rowers win it as the all blacks need to win the WC.

i just find it embarrassing as a NZ'er that our local 'experts' have decided that a team who were essentially mediocre last year were the best sports team we had.

but its not the AW's fault... its the judges...

Sam_the_man

First Grade
Christ doesn't the Halbergs sum up New Zealand well? The All Whites tried real hard and while they only won one game in 10 we have to support there mediocity with the team award.

Meth

Staff member
I am not a soccer fan at all, but I can appreciate the comparative scale of the All White's achievement and recognize them as worthy winners. Just to get in the World Cup in the first place probably would have been enough, let alone finishing unbeaten. It stopped the whole nation.

Sam_the_man

First Grade
Let me pose this question to all the good posters of this forum. The kiwis won the Tri nations in 2005. Won the world cup in 2008. Won the Four nations in 2010 but never not won the Halberg team award.
Is it now impossible for the Kiwis to win the award at all now?

Meth

Staff member
Let me pose this question to all the good posters of this forum. The kiwis won the Tri nations in 2005. Won the world cup in 2008. Won the Four nations in 2010 but never not won the Halberg team award.

Should have won it last year for their world cup win

Martli

Coach
So, we give the title to a team that one a total of one game last year. Awesome, way to reward mediocrity New Zealand.

All Blacks, Kiwis and Silver Ferns all deserved it more than the All Whites. f**k that. That exactly what is wrong with our f**king country.

Meth

Staff member
So, we give the title to a team that one a total of one game last year. Awesome, way to reward mediocrity New Zealand.

All Blacks, Kiwis and Silver Ferns all deserved it more than the All Whites. f**k that. That exactly what is wrong with our f**king country.

really?

You can't see how much of a bigger deal football is in the world than Rugby, League and Netball combined?

Micistm

Bench

Have a listen to the likes of Brendon Telfer on Radio Sport when he's talking Halbergs. That will leave you in no doubt and pompous and snobby nature of the Halbergs...and frankly the Kiwis have not got a sh*t show of ever winning it.
A World Cup win should have been an open and shut case that year. No disrespect to the Ever-Swindells, fine atheletes. But to beat the Aussie league team, the team they themselves described as their 'best ever', in their own home world cup...in a game they just weren't supposed to win- it was unwinnable according to everyone (including our media)...well that's every criteria of the Halbergs right there.
Except for the Halberg judges who treat the League team like embarrassing relatives.
And let's not even go into Sophie Pascoe, the girl who the same year got five olympic swimming golds (who's done that before?!)-got snubbed too. Telfer had a hundred and one reasons there too, apart from the obvious one that they didn't rate the paraolympics as highly...the token nomination was enough.

I feel a bit sorry for the All Whites, they did well last year and are stuck in the middle. The Halbergs are just cringworthy, because the judges change the criteria yearly to suit their own arguement, then they pick who they want. It's a joke really.

Meth

Staff member
I love League. I hate football. But objectively the All Whites even getting into the football world cup is equally as momentous an achievement as the Kiwis winning the League 'world cup' (if not a greater achievement)

ozbash

Referee
really?

You can't see how much of a bigger deal football is in the world than Rugby, League and Netball combined?

The Halbergs arnt a world event though, they're a kiwi deal.

See Dick Taylor (one of the judges) has resigned in protest..

Sam_the_man

First Grade

Martli

Coach
really?

"I'd rather be 1st in a small Iberian village than 2nd in Rome"

How big a game is doesn't really matter. How big is shot put? Valerie Adams still got female athlete of the year (Deservedly so by the way) because SHE DOMINATED HER SPORT. The All Whites got votes for feel good factor, a pat on the back for trying their hardest. The All Blacks won a grandslam, the bledisloe cup and tri nations, the Silver Ferns won a Commonwealth gold and probably some other sh*t I don't care about, the Kiwis won the four nations; they all dominated their sport in 2010 and deserved their title way more than the All Whites.

It's a f**king joke.