What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hellberg Finalists

Martli

Coach
By the way, I'm not trying to belittle the All Whites efforts at all, they did well considering our soccer heritage is traditionally poor. But there were teams that deserved that award much more.

Meth

Staff member
"I'd rather be 1st in a small Iberian village than 2nd in Rome"

How big a game is doesn't really matter. How big is shot put? Valerie Adams still got female athlete of the year (Deservedly so by the way) because SHE DOMINATED HER SPORT. The All Whites got votes for feel good factor, a pat on the back for trying their hardest. The All Blacks won a grandslam, the bledisloe cup and tri nations, the Silver Ferns won a Commonwealth gold and probably some other sh*t I don't care about, the Kiwis won the four nations; they all dominated their sport in 2010 and deserved their title way more than the All Whites.

It's a f**king joke.

I take your point. I heard Telfer talking this morning and saying that there are so many factors that act a criteria for voters. So Adams absolute domination and subsequent award doesn't necessarily equate to All Blacks/Silver Ferns/Kiwi dominating and subsequently winning. If the size of the sport wasn't a factor, I could invent a sport and self-ordain myself world champion and then make a claim for a Hallberg (extreme scenario, I know)

Martli

Coach
Likewise I could pick a major sport where NZ has no real presence, try my hardest but ultimately fail and put in a claim for the halbergs....

Meth

Staff member
Yeah sure.

Like I said, there are so many factors that act as criteria for voters. Obviously, the larger scale significance of football on the world stage was one of the factors that got the All Whites over the line. It also gripped the nation's attention and imagination in a greater way than the All Blacks, Kiwis and Silver Ferns did.

Meth

Staff member
The Halbergs arnt a world event though, they're a kiwi deal.

See Dick Taylor (one of the judges) has resigned in protest..

He should just resign quietly, rather than media whoring

shiznit

Coach
Yeah sure.

Like I said, there are so many factors that act as criteria for voters. Obviously, the larger scale significance of football on the world stage was one of the factors that got the All Whites over the line. It also gripped the nation's attention and imagination in a greater way than the All Blacks, Kiwis and Silver Ferns did.
thats what i have a problem with... if the All Whites achievement's were so significant on the world stage...

how come they weren't nominated for world team of the year for the Laurieus World Sports Awards?? the All Blacks were nominated...

so effectively the WORLD's media classed them in a group that consists of the LA Lakers, Red Bull F1 Team, European Ryder Cup Team & the Spanish Football Team.

the significance of qualifying for the football world cup has been blown out of all proportion. and im actually a person who follows football. NZ have the easiest qualification path in the world.

shiznit

Coach
Let me pose this question to all the good posters of this forum. The kiwis won the Tri nations in 2005. Won the world cup in 2008. Won the Four nations in 2010 but never not won the Halberg team award.
Is it now impossible for the Kiwis to win the award at all now?
the biggest problem for the Kiwis is that there world cup is on the same cycle as the olympics.

Olympic Gold Medal > Any World Cup

Jesbass

First Grade
doesn't the Halbergs sum up New Zealand well? The All Whites tried real hard and while they only won one game in 10 we have to support there mediocity with the team award.

I guess to drive that point home, you'd need to show that what the All Whites did was an example of mediocrity, particularly in comparison to what the other finalists achieved.

Sadly, instead of celebrating everyone's achievements, many people seem more inclined to pick fights. (General statement, by the way.)

Jesbass

First Grade
the biggest problem for the Kiwis is that there world cup is on the same cycle as the olympics.

Olympic Gold Medal > Any World Cup

Not any more. That's precisely why we have the trophy for 5 years instead of 4. :thumn

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
He should just resign quietly, rather than media whoring
especially given the irony that he's a past winner who won a feel-good gold medal at the commonwealth games but was never able to get past his heats in the olympics.

thought somewhat stolen from elsewhere.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
I love League. I hate football. But objectively the All Whites even getting into the football world cup is equally as momentous an achievement as the Kiwis winning the League 'world cup' (if not a greater achievement)

not its not.
Who did they beat to get their?? a couple of our third world pacific neighbours.
Then two leg victory over a middle east team or something.

Perhaps if the all white could actually attack.
They played Defense the whole tournament.

Micistm

Bench
Let me pose this question to all the good posters of this forum. The kiwis won the Tri nations in 2005. Won the world cup in 2008. Won the Four nations in 2010 but never not won the Halberg team award.

In answer to your question- Yes, I honestly believe it is impossible for the Kiwis to have any chance at the Halbergs. Much like our champion softballers, who were successful for how many years...?

Because the judges do not rate the sports in the eyes of the world. Minor sports are not worth the same snob value.

mean

Juniors

They should've had penalty shoot outs to decide the winners of all the drawn games. Then maybe we would've had a lottery chance of being a winner in some of those games.

mean

Juniors
Because the judges do not rate the sports in the eyes of the world. Minor sports are not worth the same snob value.

Hone would say that's because all the judges are .......... and minority sports are for the minority.

Micistm

Bench
I take your point. I heard Telfer talking this morning and saying that there are so many factors that act a criteria for voters. So Adams absolute domination and subsequent award doesn't necessarily equate to All Blacks/Silver Ferns/Kiwi dominating and subsequently winning. If the size of the sport wasn't a factor, I could invent a sport and self-ordain myself world champion and then make a claim for a Hallberg (extreme scenario, I know)

Ah, but the problem is that Telfer is the perfect example of what is wrong with the Halbergs, being a judge himself. He contradicts himself. His reasons for the Kiwis not getting the award for a WC win was (at one stage) the size of the sport and the amount of effective competition they have. Although this morning I heard him change tack and suggest they were simply beaten by a more worthy winner (Rowing).
He has gone on to make various values for specific olympic medals (swimming taking precedence over windsurfing for example, that being the more 'important' medal)...but yet 'ummed' a lot about why Pascoe missed out with her five golds at one games.

That's the problem with the Halbergs. Contradictory, hypocritical, snobby and pompous.

Micistm

Bench
not its not.
Who did they beat to get their?? a couple of our third world pacific neighbours.
Then two leg victory over a middle east team or something.

That's a fair point. I think it was a big club, the amount of people screaming at the TV for the All Whites to throw everything into the last game, as a win was crucial to continuing in the comp.
However, the tactic was to keep the defence going, keep the unbeaten record intact, and pray for a miracle goal. It was negative tactics really.

And as the Halbergs are a New Zealand award, IMO it should be the context of what the sport acheivement means to us, not in World context.

Rich102

Staff member

The 'working class' game never stood a chance in the 'rich man's' world.
All the talk about $BW only really started after he changed to rugby.

Rich102

Staff member
I think a factor in the AB's not getting the team award is that they are expected to win it next year. (And they can't have it every year - can they?)