What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Henry: Backline spots 'up for grabs'

thickos

First Grade
Henry keeps open mind to Raiders '07 make-up
Peter Fitzgerald
Friday, 22 September 2006

Raiders coach Neil Henry has welcomed the club's new signings to "put their hands up" to be part of the leadership group in 2007 - and potentially even captain. Canberra is without a skipper for next year, with 2006 leader Clinton Schifcofske joining rugby union side the Queensland Reds in the Super 14 competition.
Henry, in Canberra yesterday to look at player rosters and to plan for the preseason, said he would make an announcement on a new captain after talking to senior players and coaching staff in the preseason.
The Raiders officially begin preseason training on November 6.
"There's a strong leadership group here already, guys like Alan Tongue, Troy Thompson and Lincoln Withers are tremendous ... they sort of stand out at the moment as guys who obviously have leadership qualities," Henry said.
"Also there's guys like Matt Bickerstaff and Glen Turner coming to the club as well who have got that experience, they might even put their hand up to be leaders as well.
"We've lost a lot of experience but I think we've got a good blend of the old and the new with a couple of young players being signed as well."
While the leadership will be one issue Henry will solve in the preseason, positional changes are also high on his agenda.
The Raiders have lost veterans Schifcofske, Jason Smith, Adam Mogg, Simon Woolford, Jason Croker and Michael Hodgson from their roster, something the coach knows will have a heavy impact.
Henry, his new co-assistant Mick Crawley and other coaching staff have spent the past two days locked in meetings preparing for next year, Henry's first as an NRL head coach.
The former West Belconnen captain-coach said deciding which players would fit into which vacant positions was something that would remain undecided until trials in February and March, but hinted the backline was largely up for grabs.
"With Moggy going, Phil Graham is a standout [on one wing], then you've got [Adrian] Purtell and Marshall Chalk and Colin Best is coming to the club too," Henry said.
"Then there's William Zillman and Bronx Goodwin, so the fullback/centre spot is one area.
"Michael Dobson will come into the mix with Todd Carney and Lincoln Withers in the halves and you've got Marc Herbert coming along. It's an exciting time for the halves, with Andrew Dunemann who can also play hooker."
Dunemann will join the Raiders from English club Salford.

http://canberra.yourguide.com.au/detail.asp?class=sport&subclass=rugby%20league&story_id=511594&category=rugby%20league&m=9&y=2006

thickos

First Grade
Zillman as a centre?? Maybe Henry wants him introduced to firsts like Daley was... centre in his young days then a move to five-eighth down the track?

skeepe

Immortal
Hmmm...

1. Bronx Goodwin
2. Colin Best
3. Phil Graham
4. William Zillman
5. David Howell
6. Todd Carney
7. Michael Dobson

Interesting...

aussies1st

Staff member
Article actually said Graham on one wing, does that means he moving back to wing?

Raider_69

Post Whore
skeepe said:
Hmmm...

1. Bronx Goodwin
2. Colin Best
3. Phil Graham
4. William Zillman
5. David Howell
6. Todd Carney
7. Michael Dobson

Interesting...

the more i think about it, the more i think this is the way to go
Howell is good finisher, not much in ways of creating, pair him up with Zillman who can create, the on the other side, two potent attacking weapons who can create and finish... Bronx chiming in where he can to link up with Zillman and Carney whom he has a good connection with as it is... whilst carney can concentrate on his running game and feeding these blokes quality ball and leave the organising and steering of the team to dobbo... lets us run in with maybe chalk on the bench for versitility and 3 big boys. Or even 4 big blokes and leave it for chalk/purtell and howell to fight it out for the remaining wing spot

edabomb

First Grade
Zillman and Howell will get absolutely carved up on defence IMO. Add Best to the equation on the otherside and we'll be letting in far more tries than we can score.

Brimmer

Juniors
Now I know I might cop a bit of flak but I reckon a zillman/dobson half combination with carney out wide might be an interesting mix as well. Carney is a gifted ball runner; any width would be to his advantage. Zillman/Dobson playing half either side of the ruck.

TiTTieS_[CNTDN]

Juniors
aussies1st said:
Article actually said Graham on one wing, does that means he moving back to wing?
I don't think so. I assume it just means the part of the field rather than the position (i.e 2 or 5).

aussies1st

Staff member
Zillman at centres doesn't sound too bad. Of course if they want Carney there that wouldn't be too bad either. Hes definitely got the running skills to play there and defence isn't too bad.

Mal Meninga

Bench
Henry's mentioned Graham, Purtell, Chalk, Best and Zillman in his backline with Dobson and Carney. I'm liking this.... alot.

Freddo

Juniors
they said the other nite on the footy show that todd carney is just a bigger version of jamie lyon what would happen playin carney in the centres

jed

First Grade
Marc Herbert [CNTDN] said:
Zillman and Howell will get absolutely carved up on defence IMO. Add Best to the equation on the otherside and we'll be letting in far more tries than we can score.
Right, because you've seen how much of Zillman's game?

Chachi

Bench
Zillman will go just fine in the centres. This would be an excellent option considering Bronx's form at fullback. To say he's a defensive liability there is a bit odd IMO - if he's got any issues (which I don't think he does) you're not exactly going to be able hide them in the halves or fullback anyway.

Edwahu

Bench
I cant think of a threequarter line for us next year that is not going to have a question mark over it defensively. Unless Kelly and Irwin are very good defensive players.

thickos

First Grade
Yeah so our backline has some defensive issues. It has for years. Take Schif out of the equation and our 2-5 have not been strong for a decade... if our forwards do their job then hopefully the backs won't have too much work.

Howell is good defensively, Zillman is not as small as he is made out to be.

Latest posts