What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

High Definition Coverage

brendothejet

First Grade
sorry to spoil the party folks but most of the time you aren't watching HD.

Speaking from direct industry experience, some of the cameras out on these shoots aren't HD.

The picture quality can only be as good as the weakest link, therefore...survey says.

You are getting a better picture quality through HD/Digital boxes, but you are not getting True,1080p HD.

It will be a while before that happens.

A broadcast camera costs around $200k, more for HD. Why, in current economic strife would channels get rid of perfectly working equipment, for something the viewers can't even tell the difference between?

dragonic

Juniors
True, true...

But I would be happy with 720p even - it's very hard to tell the difference between 720 and 1080 even on a 46" plasma.

sorry to spoil the party folks but most of the time you aren't watching HD.

Speaking from direct industry experience, some of the cameras out on these shoots aren't HD.

The picture quality can only be as good as the weakest link, therefore...survey says.

You are getting a better picture quality through HD/Digital boxes, but you are not getting True,1080p HD.

It will be a while before that happens.

A broadcast camera costs around $200k, more for HD. Why, in current economic strife would channels get rid of perfectly working equipment, for something the viewers can't even tell the difference between?

No broadcast company in the world broadcasts sport in 1080p. There are a few channels in the us experimenting with 1080p broadcasts for movies though.

Channel nine through the use of Global TV's outside HD broadcast truck have full access to a complete HD broadcast( all the cameras) so there is really no excuse here.

True, true...

But I would be happy with 720p even - it's very hard to tell the difference between 720 and 1080 even on a 46" plasma.

we will get 1080i , like they do for the cricket.

really though rugby league should be broadcast as a progressive picture. In saying that though fox sports 1080i picture last year looked pretty bloody good.

Sleep

Juniors
The difference between SD and HD when watching the cricket is huge. I'd love to see Rugby League in 1080i but I'm not holding much hope for it.

The NFL and NBA look insane. I'm assumming they're in 1080i as well.

720p is the minimum for it to be classed as HD.

HDWicked

Juniors
Yeah thats why I asked JUST because the football will be on Nine HD dont mean the game will be in HD could just be in SD....I know this happened last year as well with the footy.... the games were on Nine HD but looked the same as the SD channels! Through watching Fox Sports HD Rugby League... you can tell the difference

Perth Red

Post Whore
Don't care about the resolution as long as it is on live nationally on the HD channel! No reason it shouldn't be and would be a cheap, no risk way of showing RL nationally.

JT_

Juniors
I'm pretty sure Fox Sports show HD in 1080i. It's pretty stunning too. Like someone said earlier, Nine's HD defnitely will not be 'true HD'.

kkingston

Juniors
Why cant channel 9 just use their cameras from the cricket that where high definiton. They dont have any AFL to cover so no excuse

Why cant channel 9 just use their cameras from the cricket that where high definiton. They dont have any AFL to cover so no excuse

they arent their cameras.

They belong to global television, channel nine use them for sports broadcasts.

but i would imagine there is some sort or contract in place , global wouldnt have upgraded to HD unless they knew those cameras would be used.

HD it is :D

and its pretty good 5.1 sound aswell.

whats strange though is they havent mentioned once that it is HD, they also dont have the HD watermark up there like they did for the cricket.

you would think they'd be pushing the fact.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
First RL on my new LCD tonight, and now i undrstand what the fuss is about switching between Nine HD and Channel 9 through Fox is like Jennifer Hawkins to Steven Hawkins

junior009

Juniors
First RL on my new LCD tonight, and now i undrstand what the fuss is about switching between Nine HD and Channel 9 through Fox is like Jennifer Hawkins to Steven Hawkins

As do I. Never bothered checking it out until tonight. Will be upgrading to Fox HD on Monday and watching HD whenever possible.

When switching back to 9 on fox it was like there was a stocking over the screen.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
As do I. Never bothered checking it out until tonight. Will be upgrading to Fox HD on Monday and watching HD whenever possible.

When switching back to 9 on fox it was like there was a stocking over the screen.

Yeah your right I thought I was blind drunk it was that fuzzy,,, gonna be hard to sit through a grainy super saturday.

If Fox Satelite HD included all FTA channels like they do on cable I would swap in a heartbeat

Azkatro

First Grade
HD it is :D

and its pretty good 5.1 sound aswell.

whats strange though is they havent mentioned once that it is HD, they also dont have the HD watermark up there like they did for the cricket.

you would think they'd be pushing the fact.
It was? I remembered to check at half time when Sterling and Gould were talking and thought oh, it is HD. Then the action started again and it pretty much turned to sh*t I thought, so I figured maybe it isn't HD. But I guess that is the interlaced beast in a nutshell right there.

renouf

Juniors
recorded both the games tonight, and they were 1080

Not sure why 9 didn't have the HD logo on screen, like they do with the cricket

Sleep

Juniors
I missed the start of the Storm/Dragons game but at the start of the Cowboys/Broncos game the HD logo was up in an orange box in the left hand corner for a few seconds.

It was great to watch the games in HD. Woo!

Karmawave

Bench
It didn't show the HD logo because frankly there was no way in the world tonights telecast was in FULLHD. Not a chance in hell.

It was nothing like the crystal clear picture we had during the summer for the cricket.

Are you guys blind?

Believe me, if they were broadcasting that telecast tonight in the highest possible definition, we would have heard about it every 3 minutes from the commentators, and in the lead up segueways, and lead up advertising and on the Footy Show, and everywhere else...

It looked OK, but FULLHD, no way in the world.

The day Ch 9 throw up the HD logo on it, and start promoting it like their lives depend on it, is the day the NRL will be in HD.

Because it wasn't tonight.

Sleep

Juniors
It wasn't full HD no. But I doubt the cricket was either. I'm pretty sure both are 1080i. 1080p broadcast would be very, very rare.