What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

High Definition Coverage

Karmawave

Bench
It wasn't full HD no. But I doubt the cricket was either. I'm pretty sure both are 1080i. 1080p broadcast would be very, very rare.

The cricket looked 5 times better. And it had the HD logo constantly on the screen. And it was heavily promoted as HD.

Just the same way Foxtel promote NRL in HD heavily in their advertising and through their commentators.

I've never once heard Channel 9 promote the use of HD in any advertising or commentary for the NRL.

The set up was the exact same as last year.

As someone mentioned earlier it was SD.

The picture looks better on the HD channel than the normal 9 channel, but it fails heavily when compared to the HD used by Foxtel for NRL.

People getting excited about Ch9 using HD for the games this year need to calm down a bit, because nothing has changed from 2008.

If you want true HD NRL, the only place it seems its going to happen this year is on Foxtel once again.

Ch 9 NRL, so far behind in technology its laughable really.

Sleep

Juniors
Didn't someone say earlier in the thread Foxtel only broadcasts it in 1080i themselves? That's not full HD either. HD is anything from 720P upwards.

The game looked far better on the HD channels tonight than on SD. The HD logo was definitely flashed in the upper left corner at the start of the Cowboys/Broncos game.

People who've recorded the game said it was in 1080i too. Regardless it's an improvement. Not worth complaining about. :D

Karmawave

Bench
Didn't someone say earlier in the thread Foxtel only broadcasts it in 1080i themselves?

The picture on CH9 is fine. But it was fine last year too.

I'm pretty certain anyone here who has Foxtel HD and watches the NRL on it, would be left with no doubt that the picture on Foxtel is superior to that shown tonight on Ch9.

Whatever the reason for that is, I have no idea.

I can only assume that Ch9 are not broadcasting it at the same level as Foxtel - whatever the jargon is.

People can pull out all the technical jargon in the world, but the reality is, at least to my eyes, the Foxtel NRL HD and CH9 cricket HD pictures both appear to me to be much better than the pictures provided for the NRL on Ch9.

Forget the jargon, the eyes don't lie.

renouf

Juniors
I have to admit after looking through the cap for both games, it is pretty ordinary quality. Pretty much the same as last year...

Some of the wide shots look HD, but then they change to another camera, ie a close up, and it's crap.

The Melbourne game seemed to be slightly better quality too, but again the odd camera shot looked crap aswell

Last edited:

renouf

Juniors
There was definitely an orange HD logo shown at the beginning of each half... ch9 are playing games with us it seems.

The cricket looked 5 times better. And it had the HD logo constantly on the screen. And it was heavily promoted as HD.

the cricket did look better , but only the test cricket. And the simple reason is HD requires as much light as possible, therefore all daytime sports are going to look better.

Just the same way Foxtel promote NRL in HD heavily in their advertising and through their commentators.

I've never once heard Channel 9 promote the use of HD in any advertising or commentary for the NRL.

agree with you here , poor effort by nine. If your going to broadcast it in HD why not make a song and dance about it?

The set up was the exact same as last year.

no , they didnt broadcast HD last year.

As someone mentioned earlier it was SD.

ah , no it was HD.

simply put there was daylight between what was on the HD channel and SD channel.

The picture looks better on the HD channel than the normal 9 channel, but it fails heavily when compared to the HD used by Foxtel for NRL.

failed heavily is over the top. Sure FOX HD does look better , but fox have the ability to broadcast with a much higher bit rate than nine can. There is little nine can do about this until they do a pretty big upgrade of their broadcasting facilites. Broadcasting through a cable or a dish allows for much higher bit rates.

[People getting excited about Ch9 using HD for the games this year need to calm down a bit, because nothing has changed from 2008.

im puzzled where you are getting this from , nine did not broadcast the NRL in HD last season. What we saw tonight was a significant upgrade.

If you want true HD NRL, the only place it seems its going to happen this year is on Foxtel once again.

give it time ffs.

this was there first effort , i remember watching the tigers v roosters game that was the first fox did in HD and it has improved greatly since then.

Ch 9 NRL, so far behind in technology its laughable really.

the outsider broadcaster for tonights NRL was the same for the cricket. Nine use a company called global TV , they do all their outside sports broadcasts.

so , no nine nrl is the same technology as the cricket.

Last edited:
The picture on CH9 is fine. But it was fine last year too.

I'm pretty certain anyone here who has Foxtel HD and watches the NRL on it, would be left with no doubt that the picture on Foxtel is superior to that shown tonight on Ch9.

Whatever the reason for that is, I have no idea.

I can only assume that Ch9 are not broadcasting it at the same level as Foxtel - whatever the jargon is.

People can pull out all the technical jargon in the world, but the reality is, at least to my eyes, the Foxtel NRL HD and CH9 cricket HD pictures both appear to me to be much better than the pictures provided for the NRL on Ch9.

Forget the jargon, the eyes don't lie.

here's the deal.

both nine and fox are broadcasting at a resoloution of 1080i.

but fox have the ability to send the picture out at a much higher bitrate than nine.

Nine i believe are also using the MPEG2 codec compared to the newer MPEG4 codec used by fox sports HD.

but its important to realise that pretty much everywhere in the world pay TV is going to have a superior HD picture to that of their free to air rivals. So this is not a nine specific problem.

I think given time , nine will learn to deal with the complexities of HD broadcasting. The biggest problem they have is dealing with the different levels of light at all the different grounds.

It didn't show the HD logo because frankly there was no way in the world tonights telecast was in FULLHD. Not a chance in hell.

no sports broadcaster in the world is doing 1080p full hd

It was nothing like the crystal clear picture we had during the summer for the cricket.

Are you guys blind?

no , my eyes are fine.

as i said in my other post the cricket was better because of the daylight conditions.

this was also filmed by the same mob that do the cricket ( global Tv)

Believe me, if they were broadcasting that telecast tonight in the highest possible definition, we would have heard about it every 3 minutes from the commentators, and in the lead up segueways, and lead up advertising and on the Footy Show, and everywhere else...

they were broadcasting in 1080i .

not the theoretical highest possible , but the highest by industry standards.

It looked OK, but FULLHD, no way in the world.

The day Ch 9 throw up the HD logo on it, and start promoting it like their lives depend on it, is the day the NRL will be in HD.

Because it wasn't tonight.

your wrong.

It was? I remembered to check at half time when Sterling and Gould were talking and thought oh, it is HD. Then the action started again and it pretty much turned to sh*t I thought, so I figured maybe it isn't HD. But I guess that is the interlaced beast in a nutshell right there.

lighting conditions basically.

the lighting for the half time report would be superior for the size of the shot compared to the lighting at olympic park, which i assume is probably rubbish.

When you see the sunday day games they will look much better.

skeepe

Immortal
I agree it was in HD tonight... the demo loop always is :roll:

I'm so sick and tired of places like Canberra being treated as second class by the major FTA networks. We don't have them re-transmitted through Foxtel like the alleged "major" cities (when they say capital cities it really pisses me off... didn't realise Canberra was no longer a capital), Ten HD is something that happens to other people (not even the shows that used to be shown in HD here, such as House, NCIS etc are shown in HD anymore... demo loop FTW) and basically there are no plans to introduce it in the near future, not that they're telling us about anyway.

It stinks. The more the FTA channels treat everyone outside Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth like sh*t, the more viewers they lose.

Caged Panther

First Grade
Was definetely hd tonight I had picture in picture running for a little bit with a high def feed on one side of the tv and SD feed on the other the difference was obvious.

Munky

Coach
Some cameras were SD.

You could see some serious pixellation at different times when the angle changed...

smithie

Juniors
I just had a look at the tv guide for Friday and noticed that Nine's new HD channel GEM starts this Friday at noon. This means NineHD is no more and this weekends Preliminary Finals will NOT be broadcast in HD.

According to the guide, Nine's new HD channel will be showing Getaway @ 7:30pm followed by Jindabyne @ 8:30pm on Friday night.

This is disgraceful. Earlier in the year Nine were trying to get people to invest in 3DTV for Origin and now games won't even be broadcast in HD.

fourplay

Juniors
I wonder if ch9 execs all sit around a table each week and discuss different ways they can screw rugby league?

Latest posts