What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

High Definition Coverage

Tap Twist Snap

Juniors
Talk about going backwards at a rate of knots. With all the garbage they are putting on these secondary channels and the total lack of care the stations are giving to the things that actually rate, I can see the day not too far off where all content will come across the internet and these TV stations will be worth nothing.

NRL really does need to put it's foot down and demand the rest of the finals games be shown in HD standard def looks like garbage on a decent TV (well decent sized HD TV).

Last edited:

applesauce

Bench
So if the anti-syphoning laws are finalised by Jan 2011, will they be in effect immediately or do we have to wait till our contract expires or a set date by the government?

I would love to see it come straight in and sort the f**kheads at 9 out in time for the 2011 finals.

El Diablo

Post Whore
HD TV's are being made useless by FTA networks with stupid multichannels like 7Mate and GEM being solely used for HD

these channels would get 1/5th of the ratings the main channel do

i can see this causing even more people to download TV shows. they'll get them quicker with no ads and in HD

seems Pay TV and Blu-ray are now the only reasons for anyone to buy a HDTV

i hope stores warn new buyers that having a HDTV is a waste of money when there's f**k all of it!

Eels Dude

Coach
HD TV's are being made useless by FTA networks with stupid multichannels like 7Mate and GEM being solely used for HD

i can see this causing even more people to download TV shows. they'll get them quicker with no ads and in HD

i hope stores warn new buyers that having a HDTV is a waste of money when there's f**k all of it!

Can you even buy decent brand new televisions that AREN'T HD though? Consumers really have no choice but to buy HD these days as that's all on offer.

franklin2323

Immortal

7mate isn't HD all the the time. 70 will broadcast mostly a simicast of normal 7 or the odd occastion be 7mate. I can guarantee Bathurst and the AFL GF, Tennis and other sport 7 has will be in HD. other programs will also. I heard Leckie say they just upgraded the camera's and it's a waste if X Factor and Sport isn't in HD.

Weren't 9 banging on about the ashes in HD??? Haha yeah right idiots!!!

Has anyone emailed the NRL ??? Maybe they aren't aware that's it's happening. As of last night my epg hadn't shown the new channel

smithie

Juniors
http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2010/09/nrl-grand-final-in-hd.html

NRL Grand Final in HD

GEM will be playing the NRL Grand Final in High Definition on October 3rd.

Pre-match entertainment will begin at 4:30pm AEDT and the game plays at 5pm in Sydney and Melbourne.

It plays an hour earlier in Brisbane, half an hour earlier in Adelaide and thre hours earlier in Perth due to Daylight Saving.

Some readers have noted that NRL is not played in High Definition on GEM this weekend despite Nine’s initial Press Release: “GEM will be a mix of new content, classic comedies, cherished drama series, all-time favorite movies, and all of Nine’s sport coverage in high definition.”

The match will also be aired in 3D on digital channel 40.

hellteam

First Grade
I just had a look at the tv guide for Friday and noticed that Nine's new HD channel GEM starts this Friday at noon. This means NineHD is no more and this weekends Preliminary Finals will NOT be broadcast in HD.

According to the guide, Nine's new HD channel will be showing Getaway @ 7:30pm followed by Jindabyne @ 8:30pm on Friday night.

This is disgraceful. Earlier in the year Nine were trying to get people to invest in 3DTV for Origin and now games won't even be broadcast in HD.

The new channel will just be 99 or somethin like that. Just like the 7Mate channel is on 77 and 7HD is still available on channel 70. It does not mean NineHD is no more...

You can just use the 7 and 9 HD channels can't you? Channels 70, 90 etc...

Channel 7 brought in this new 7Mate channel, it is on channel 77, and there is still a Channel 7 HD, on channel 70.

The same thing will happen with 9, the HD version will still be available on channel 90 I'm sure.

Is that even what you guys are talking about?

Last edited:

user_nat

Coach
You can just use the 7 and 9 HD channels can't you? Channels 70, 90 etc...

Channel 7 brought in this new 7Mate channel, it is on channel 77, and there is still a Channel 7 HD, on channel 70.

The same thing will happen with 9, the HD version will still be available on channel 90 I'm sure.

Is that even what you guys are talking about?

This is not the case. 7mate currently is just place holder (it is just a rebroadcast of 7 SD, you can only have 3 steams but 1 steam can be on many channels).

Once GEM and 7mate actually launch later this week they will replace 9HD and 7HD. Just like ABC News 24 replaced ABC HD.

This is because they are only allowed 1 HD and 2 SD channels. So 9 will had GEM (hd), GO and 9. 7 will have Mate (hd), 7two and 7. Next year 10 will have ONE (hd), 11 and 10.

Even if they were allowed more channels it wouldn't really work due to limited bandwidth available.

Last edited:

hellteam

First Grade
wrong. channel 70 is staying and will alternate between the 2!!! 71 normal. 72 is 7two 73 is 7mate.

Why can't 9 do something similar??

Not according to this.

http://www.theage.com.au/digital-li.../nines-gem-goes-both-ways/20100913-1589m.html

The feminine GEM is set to begin broadcasts on September 24, just before Network Seven's blokey 7mate launches on AFL Grand Final Day. Like 7mate, GEM comes at the expense of the network's HD channel. So after this footy season, SBS will be the only network left with a high-def simulcast of its main channel - which is a kick in the guts to many people who spent extra on a HD-capable TV, set-top-box or digital recorder.

hellteam

First Grade
Foxtel/Austar have oodles of bandwidth to play with so there will be no issue for them to supply their regular HD channels

Yeah I know that, but how will they show Nine and 7 in HD? That would be impossible, seeing as there is no feed, wouldn't it be?

So in other words, even if people have Foxtel HD, they still wouldn't get 7 and 9 in HD I assume..

Canard

Immortal
I think he is getting confused with Channel 9 games being re-broadcast on Foxtel.

Obviously Foxtel broadcast games will be in HD.

Canard

Immortal
I think he is meaning when a Channel 9 game is being re-broadcast on Foxtel.

Obviously Foxtel broadcast games will be in HD.