What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

High Definition Coverage

adamkungl

Immortal
League fans realised years ago that Nein are scum. And it just keeps getting worse. Hope they lose the rights, and don't get the AFL either. That would put them in the sh*tter

Jono1987

Juniors
There's a reason I bought an expensive full HD television...Thankfully I get full use out of it with Fox Sports. Complete and utter joke that a business such as Nine will not be showing sport in HD.

bobmar28

Bench
It needs to be written into the next contract. Along with other stuff like time shown, promotion etc.

Loudstrat

Coach
Half you whingers aint even Saints or Broncos fans - the only teams shown on FTA (plus obviously the random club that plays them - unless its Canberra or NZ, when they show old Jerry Lewis movies instead)

smithie

Juniors
I have been fearing this since Nine reneged on showing the Ashes on GEM. HD is not something viewers would like, it's what is expected. I can watch 3 to 4 NFL games a week live, in HD and on free-to-air, but when it comes to the NRL it's one live, two delayed and probably no HD. This needs to be sorted out before the season starts.

This is a joke considering 4KTVs will be on the shelves by 2013. The sooner the Ten Network get the tv rights the better.

Doug2234

First Grade
O well. I have Fox Sports..

and unless Dragons are the second game on Friday Night i wont watch it.. More ads then game time so i just watch the replay the following morning in HD...

smithie

Juniors
O well. I have Fox Sports..

and unless Dragons are the second game on Friday Night i wont watch it.. More ads then game time so i just watch the replay the following morning in HD...

Thank god I have a home theatre PC so I can pause the 2nd Friday and Sunday games for 30 - 45 minutes and then start watching and skip all the adverts.

Doug2234

First Grade
Thank god I have a home theatre PC so I can pause the 2nd Friday and Sunday games for 30 - 45 minutes and then start watching and skip all the adverts.

yeah true that... i do the same on the Foxtel box if i do end up watching it..

supera

Juniors
yeah, as someone without pay television, the way the FTA stations (apart from 10/one) have come to treat sport fans is disgraceful. not so much that they aren't showing it, but that they lied about it!

El Diablo

Post Whore
yeah, as someone without pay television, the way the FTA stations (apart from 10/one) have come to treat sport fans is disgraceful. not so much that they aren't showing it, but that they lied about it!

you'd think that since they did lie they would take the first media release off their site

that just shows how stupid 9 are

Perth Tiger

Bench
Has there been any word yet on how they are going telecast games in the freak states given the new anti-siphoning list? Or does that not come in until the new TV deal?

supera

Juniors
foxtel's replay of channel 9 games may be on the HD channel, but i'm pretty sure they aren't broadcast in HD - just upscaled SD. if 9 aren't showing it in HD, then they aren't going to film it in HD to then just pass it on to fox.

El Diablo

Post Whore
9 filmed the ashes in HD as when it was shown on Fox Sports it wasn't upscaled SD

so 9 are just merkins

user_nat

Coach
Really it's the governments fault for choosing to use such a crap system that only allows each network to have 1 HD channel.

Also very stupid of Nine to use that one HD channel for women targeted programing. Exactly the kind of people who want to watch things in HD I'm sure.

7 was slightly smarter with 7mate.

Last edited:

Quidgybo

Bench
Has there been any word yet on how they are going telecast games in the freak states given the new anti-siphoning list? Or does that not come in until the new TV deal?
Neither. The new syphoning list can be brought in immediately as it's regulatory law administered by the Department of Communications. The list can be reviewed and updated as the Department sees fit. But the new rules allowing broadcast on digital multi-channels (illegal under the current act) and broadcast within four hours (no such rule in the current act) will require amending legislation to be passed by the Parliament. So until that is passed (foreshadowed for the first quarter of this year I think), you won't see any change as far as the NRL is concerned. But once passed the changes will become effective as soon as the Parliament and Queen Lizzy say so - regardless of any existing contracts between sports and their broadcasters. The law is the law.

Leigh.

franklin2323

Immortal
Really it's the governments fault for choosing to use such a crap system that only allows each network to have 1 HD channel.

Also very stupid of Nine to use that one HD channel for women targeted programing. Exactly the kind of people who want to watch things in HD I'm sure.

Not really. The networks chose this dumb set up. Using the HD channel to play black and white and 90's sh*tcom's withouth Widescreen.

Channel 9 still has Channel 40. HD and 3D and nothing on the channel useless turds they are

flippikat

Bench

That baffles me - why would the Government put restrictions on the number of HD channels per network?

If the technology allows them to squeeze 2 or 3 HD channels into their frequency - let them, I say!

Gee, I would've thought that more HD channels would ENCOURAGE people to buy new digital TVS..

it means more TVs sold (good for the retailers), more people enjoying HD, and a less of an effort to get people to make the change when analogue is switched off...

We have no such restrictions here in New Zealand, it's just a matter of cost whether networks carry none, one, or multiple HD channels.. and we're not switching off analogue for 2 more years.

Shame none of the free-to-air channels actually have much sport, but that's another issue.... (no anti-syphoning laws)