What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

High Definition Coverage

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I only ever notice SD picture quality watching some Cowboys games at DFS and the odd game at outer suburban grounds (Penrith, Campbelltown, even Brookvale) on occasion, otherwise it always seems to me to be HD?

beave

Coach
well I don't think we have any HD cameras up here, I have never seen one of our home games shown in HD on the foxsports HD channels............. not that I would have really wanted to see Carl Webb's gunt in my lounge room every second weekend in such glorious fashion..................

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Now you only have to see it once a year up there... if that :p

the1

Juniors
I can tell always when it is not full HD, and that is mostly always.

Why can't they give us 1080p? I'd settle for 720 to be honest.

El Diablo

Post Whore
I only ever notice SD picture quality watching some Cowboys games at DFS and the odd game at outer suburban grounds (Penrith, Campbelltown, even Brookvale) on occasion, otherwise it always seems to me to be HD?

the 9:30pm game is usually always upscaled SD. a lot of times the 7:30pm game is too

Warriors home games are always HD. at least the kiwis get it right

beave

Coach
Now you only have to see it once a year up there... if that :p

ziiiiiiiiiiiiiing!!!

I don't think we play them up here this year........... I will have to look at the draw. No doubt the fat f**k will carve us up, but I will still abuse the living sh*t out of him............ no different to the last 5 years though really.

the1

Juniors
I couldn't complain with Channel 9's HD coverage last year. Nine HD knew what they were doing. Each game was true HD.

seanoff

Juniors
most of the TV production in Aus is outsourced, this includes sport.

www.globaltv.com.au

kerry stokes has a company called zer01zer0 who have commissioned 2 sony HD vans in 2010.

the ABC have 8 OB vans for hire SD only i tihnk.

atm i don't think there is enough hardware to cover

AFL, NRL, V8s all through winter all in HD.

seanoff

Juniors
I can tell always when it is not full HD, and that is mostly always.

Why can't they give us 1080p? I'd settle for 720 to be honest.

because it takes a huge amount of bandwidth to do so. changing the i to p on the end of 1080 doubles the amount of info broadcast.

maybe when the NBN gets up, if you are prepared to pay for the 100Mb link, you can get 1080p TV.

Quidgybo

Bench
HD channels on fox are mpeg4 and have a larger bandwidth (19mbit i think?), so the quality is better. FTA HD is mpeg2, around 10-11mbit, and they even reduced it from 14-15mbit about a year ago I think. So the HD quality isn't great on FTA, but it is still better then the PDTV crap.

It is moronic that we can watch 1960's movies over on GEM, and we have to watch live sporting events and many other modern programs in SD.
Well you want to know what's really silly? With a 20Mbit multiplex split into two SD channels using 4Mbit each and a HD channel running at 12Mbit there's no technical reason the bandwidth can't be dynamically reallocated on the fly. Want to show a football match on the main channel? Then allocate the 12Mbit to that for two hours and show it in HD while showing SD programming on the other two channels. Showing a talking head reading the news on the main channel? Drop the bitrate back to SD at 4Mbit and show a HD show for half an hour on one of your two other channels. The point being that as long as you define the standards for the receivers properly there's no need to lock one channel in as HD and the other two as SD. You re-allocate the bandwidth as it makes sense on a program by program, timeslot by timeslot basis. On a technical level, it's a trivial exercise.

Leigh.

Last edited:

flippikat

Bench
Well you want to know what's really silly? With a 20Mbit multiplex split into two SD channels using 4Mbit each and a HD channel running at 12Mbit there's no technical reason the bandwidth can't be dynamically reallocated on the fly. Want to show a football match on the main channel? Then allocate the 12Mbit to that for two hours and show it in HD while showing SD programming on the other two channels. Showing a talking head reading the news on the main channel? Drop the bitrate back to SD at 4Mbit and show a HD show for half an hour on one of your two other channels. The point being that as long as you define the standards for the receivers properly there's no need to lock one channel in as HD and the other two as SD. You re-allocate the bandwidth as it makes sense on a program by program, timeslot by timeslot basis. On a technical level, it's a trivial exercise.

Leigh.

This makes sense.

if it's an easy enough thing to do, technically, then why not let the programming dictate the bandwidth???

smithie

Juniors
I forgot how bad league looks in Standard-Definition, and at least two seasons of this sh*thouse quality to go. Thanks Channel Nine.

God I hope OneHD gets league for 2013 onwards.

On fox sports tonight they broadcast the grand final of the Australian baseball league in HD (yes the baseball league!!)

WTF are you doing nine ?! Gyngell you are a joke