What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

High Definition Coverage

i've got a set top box and it has the HD channels there but too bad it doesn't support HD ???

can anyone tell me what HD actually does? is the difference actually noticeable?

HD is increased picture resolution. ( by up to 5 times)

The difference is very noticeable on the right TV set and especially noticeable on larger TV sets.

watching the masters golf on HD earlier in the year was breathtaking.

Caged Panther

First Grade
It's absolutely pathetic that channel 10 have been broadcasting some AFL games in high def for the past 18 months but we still can't get even a showcase game like SOO done in HD on channel 9.

I don't usually complain to much about channel 9 but this is one area they have well and truly ****ed up in.

Tap Twist Snap

Juniors
I think HD is actually going to cause a bit of trouble. Beau Ryan's try tonight would have been a Try any other night previously this year as there is no way that it could have been slowed down that much to see his hand separating from the ball. It would have been just a blur. However tonight in HD for 1/20th of a second his hand separated from the ball which in the end ended up a knock on. Unless every game is in HD and slowed down that much then video refs shouldn't be able to use super slow mo like that to make decisions.

I think HD is actually going to cause a bit of trouble. Beau Ryan's try tonight would have been a Try any other night previously this year as there is no way that it could have been slowed down that much to see his hand separating from the ball. It would have been just a blur. However tonight in HD for 1/20th of a second his hand separated from the ball which in the end ended up a knock on. Unless every game is in HD and slowed down that much then video refs shouldn't be able to use super slow mo like that to make decisions.

your assuming the video ref was watching a high def image.

did they say he was during the coverage?

drake

First Grade
Nein broadcast a show that promotes their rivals' product in HD, but don't do the same for the premier showcase of their winter sports product.

WTF!?

Community television would do more for Rugby League than Nein.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
HD needs a crapload of infrastructure to broadcast (all the gear from the cameras right through to the set top boxes needs upgrading). Who actually pays for the camerawork at the games, the NRL or the broadcasters?

LeagueLegend

Juniors
HD needs a crapload of infrastructure to broadcast (all the gear from the cameras right through to the set top boxes needs upgrading). Who actually pays for the camerawork at the games, the NRL or the broadcasters?

A good point that many people do not understand. The lenses on the cameras need to be upgraded as well as the camera bodies too. Monitors in the trucks, the list goes on. It's a huge investment that they have to part with just to go HD.

Azkatro

First Grade
How did you determine something for 1/20th of a second? The frame rate of HD is the same as normal television, it is just a higher resolution. And 1/20th of a second is just something you made up, considering the frame rate of PAL is 25 frames per second.

Mish

Juniors
Spot on

For those who got the HD, how was it?

I doubt many have it as they only started installs yesterday.

Im getting it installed tomorrow si i'll be able to see next weeks game.

though reports i have read over at the dtvforums suggest it looks fantastic.

Danish

Referee

Nice rant, until you realise that HD has absolutely **** all to do with frame rate.....

You are thinking of the high speed cameras that are used for the cricket, tennis etc to give us those super slo mo shots of serena williams arse jiggling in a manner I can only describe as disturbing.

Latest posts