What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

High Definition Coverage

Tap Twist Snap

Juniors
I don't know what equipment fox has upgraded for broadcast the other night. I would assume their cameras would be set up for 720p which they say is what fox say ESPN swears by for sport.

"720p delivers an image that stays sharper during motion, which some program producers believe is a better choice for certain programs"

720p = 60fps

http://hd.foxtel.com.au/what-is-hd/hd-basics.php
http://www.hdtv.biz/resolution.shtml

Edit: in the end as long as they have the same standards at every game then it's fair but if they use super slow mo HD at one game and some blurry second rate gear at another then it isn't a level playing field for all teams.

Azkatro

First Grade
I don't know what equipment fox has upgraded for broadcast the other night. I would assume their cameras would be set up for 720p which they say is what fox say ESPN swears by for sport.

"720p delivers an image that stays sharper during motion, which some program producers believe is a better choice for certain programs"

720p = 60fps

http://hd.foxtel.com.au/what-is-hd/hd-basics.php
http://www.hdtv.biz/resolution.shtml

Edit: in the end as long as they have the same standards at every game then it's fair but if they use super slow mo HD at one game and some blurry second rate gear at another then it isn't a level playing field for all teams.
I know, ESPN have a clue by the looks. Unfortunately, Fox Sports does not.

First FOX SPORTS HD. FOX SPORTS will expand its service to cover a range of local and international sports in 1080i HD. During its first year of operation, FOX SPORTS HD will include selected games each week from the AFL, NRL, Super 14, A League, Domestic Cricket including 20/20 and local Wallaby and Socceroos games, not to mention key international events like the English Premier League, PGA Golf, Wimbledon and other International Tennis, which will build over the seasons to thousands of hours of fresh HD programming each season. FOX SPORTS HD will be in 1080i.
(source: http://hd.foxtel.com.au/blog/2008/02/foxtel-hd-sport-channels.html)

Makes you sick, doesn't it ... oh and if anyone tries to tell you that 1080i is better, or even as good as 720p for watching sports, don't listen to anything they say ever again!

From what i have seen so far ESPN HD has it all over fox sports HD.

I watched a replay of the tigers V roosters game this arvo and it was a little dissapointing. the image was clearly very sharp but it showed a lot of grain. I think this may have had something to do with the rain but still the 720p on espn baseball was much better.

not sure why they have gone the 1080i option , maybe just a marketing thing.

If you have a decent receiver you may be able to scale the 1080i to 720p.

Dogs Of War

Coach
If channel 9 broadcasts league in HD, then would that mean they would be allowed to show it on there HD channel in Melbourne and other states at a reasonable time? They could still have regular programming on there normal SD channel, and thus wouldn't lose out in the ratings if that is the worry, while at the same time building an audience in the other states.

St. Brett

Juniors
I noticed this on Monday night.

I didn't say anything to the olds though.

I thought, 'this looks like NTSC American vision.'

It was a bit blury on my eyes.

We actually changed the digital reception on our TV with the remote and dropped it back to standard as the full on digital is too blury and colored in my opinion.
Not good on the eyes.

Caged Panther

First Grade
I read in the paper today that Channel 9 will finally get around to starting to broadcast some games in high definition from 2009.

Better late than never given Channel 10 and 7 have been doing this for the AFL since last year.

Last edited:

thug jimmy

Juniors
ahhh good stuff.

i bought a new hd tv and foxtel charge $200 to install the HD box then charge an additional $40 a month. definately wont be getting that you f**kin rip offs!!

Would it really be that much better?

YEP!!

I always thought there wouldn't be much difference, but I watched an NFL game in HD on TEN the other day and absolutely fell in love with HD especially after switching channels to Foxtel and watching their telecast of the same game. The difference was like night and day

Dogs Of War

Coach
Thank god. I am so sick of watching games in standard def. Hopefully foxtel jumps into the act as well. Though I refuse to pay extra money for it.

Azkatro

First Grade
Would it really be that much better?
In my opinion, not a great deal - IF they broadcast games in 1080i. As the Olympics demonstrated, once you start to get a lot of movement in interlaced it just gets messy. Sports should, by law, be broadcast only in 720p.

Razor

Coach
ahhh good stuff.

i bought a new hd tv and foxtel charge $200 to install the HD box then charge an additional $40 a month. definately wont be getting that you f**kin rip offs!!

If you're not on contract ring up and ask to be connected to HD. They'll tell you the cost. Ask them if it's possible to be free. They'll say no. Then say "I'll like to cancel please". They'll then go and speak to their supervisor. They'll come back and give another price (for me they gave $100 installation). Say "No I'll still like to cancel please". They'll then go and speak to their supervisor again, adn come back and give it to you for free. Although you still have to pay the extra per month for the HD channels(apart from the fta HD channels). The monthly subscription fee for HD is the same as for the IQ, so if you already had that, then it's no extra.

Latest posts