What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

High Definition Coverage

beave

Coach
I do strat, some people actually want to see the game being treated with the respect it deserves and shown in the current standard/technology.

Serc

First Grade
Not being able to see the footy in HD (after seeing it in HD for the last season or two - when did it start by the way if anyone knows?) is the sort of thing that the average punter in NSW or QLD is going to notice...unlike the showing of NRL at ungodly hours in Melbourne that most people don't know about, this is the sort of thing that is going to ensure that Ch 9 is in a helluva lot more people's bad books.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
This dates back to the Ashes, for some reason I have no idea about, they decided not to.

El Diablo

Post Whore
WTF happened to that?

Instead tonight GEM has the Antiques Roadshow on

yes

http://channelnine.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=7960634

Channel Nine Announces a new GEM

Following on from the outstanding success of the GO! multi-channel, the Nine Network today announced plans for a third channel, GEM, which will launch on Sunday, September 26 aimed at the sophisticated, discerning viewer.

GEM will be a mix of new content, classic comedies, cherished drama series, all-time favorite movies, and all of Nine’s sport coverage in high definition.

GEM is designed to complement Nine’s premium channel, and the network’s number one multi-channel, GO!, attracting females 35+ and grocery buyers.

Leading the GEM lineup is the acclaimed new US drama series The Big C, starring Laura Linney as a woman making the most of her life after being diagnosed with cancer. Also starring Oliver Platt and Oscar nominee Gabourey Sidibe, The Big C’s recent premiere achieved record ratings for the US Showtime network.

The cult favourite Weeds will also be seen on GEM in a new season. Other first-run imports include Southland, Miami Medical, Secret Diary of a Call Girl, The New Adventures of Old Christine, and the lifestyle programs Wife Swap, Secret Millionaire USA, The Chopping Block USA and How Clean Is Your House?

Also on GEM will be a new season of Random Acts of Kindness (previously seen on Nine) featuring Shelley Craft, Scott Cam, Dr Andrew Rochford and Simmone Jade Mackinnon, treating everyday Australians to well-deserved rewards.

Rounding out the schedule will be the classic comedy Friends, stripped to air every week night, Aussie gold dramas McLeod’s Daughters, Sea Patrol and The Alice, and the hit US crime shows CSI, CSI Miami, CSI New York, The Closer and Cold Case, along with great movies such as Million Dollar Baby, The Aviator, 21 Grams and Being Julia.

Nine CEO David Gyngell said GEM would build on the network’s tearaway success with the GO! channel, which by a big margin is Australia’s most popular multi-channel across the key demographics and total people.

“GEM is what its title suggests – a general entertainment and movie channel, carefully crafted and targeted like GO! before it, to appeal to a wide audience cross-section and complement Nine’s existing successful brands,” Mr Gyngell said.

GEM will also include news and current affairs programs that will be different but complementary to those on the main channel. “We have a very significant investment in news and current affairs and some of that content will be repackaged to the style of GEM,” Mr Gyngell said.

High definition sport will be seen on GEM until the digital switchover in December 2013.

To receive GEM from September 26, viewers need to tune in to channel 90 on an HD-capable digital TV, PVR or set top box. If you have an analogue television you will need to connect your old TV to an HD-capable digital set top box, PVR, or digital recorder and tune in to channel 90.

GEM is also available on FOXTEL for cable subscribers only on Channel 209 from Septmber 24th.

:roll:

Call (02) 99069999. And give them a massive spray I just did

Probably gave them a fair old spray after that effort from parra;-)

HD coverage in this country is a disgrace. Sport is made for HD coverage yet nine and seven run away from it. They are f**king dunces

Give all sport to ten & fox

Stagger Lee

Bench
Devils advocate

First off let me say that ch9 give me the shiits

BUT I think the investment required to make all games HD would be massive so they may be holding back till they win ( or lose) the next lot of broadcast rights

or it could be that they are a set of billy hunts :sarcasm:

Last edited:

El Diablo

Post Whore
Devils advocate

First off let me say I ch9 give me the shiits

BUT I think the investment required to make all games HD would be massive so they may be holding back till they win ( or lose) the next lot of broadcast rights

or it could be that they are a set of billy hunts :sarcasm:

channel 9 are using HD cameras so that has nothing to do with it

when you watch replays of 9's games on Fox Sports HD you get a great picture

the people in NZ would also probably get it live in HD from 9

that's what makes it even worse. knowing the game is being filmed in HD and they won't f**king show it on GEM

it was the same for the ashes

Last edited:

Stagger Lee

Bench
channel 9 are using HD cameras so that has nothing to do with it

when you watch replays of 9's games on Fox Sports HD you get a great picture

the people in NZ would also probably get it live in HD from 9

that's what makes it even worse. knowing the game is being filmed in HD and they won't f**king show it on GEM

it was the same for the ashes

Fair enough I stand corrected ....and so ch9 are a set of billy hunts

adamkungl

Immortal
f**k nine. I hope nothing more than 9 lose the tv rights next year. Then i never have to hear rabs and gus's senile rantings ever again. I'll miss Freddy though.