What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

High Definition Coverage

hrundi99

First Grade
Well when I'm watching full HD I can't really tell the difference... maybe I'm just not watching the right things?

Are you watching HD programs? Do you have a Blu-Ray player?

If not then yes, there won't be much difference.

Ziggy the God

First Grade
They are not allowed to show sports that are on the anti siphoning list only on their HD channel. So if the NRL is on HD in any market it must also be on the SD channel.

You can bet that by next year, that will not be the case. That is what Foxtel believes, and they are beating down the Governments door trying to stop it from happening.

JT_

Juniors
Does it really matter? The only major difference I notice is that whatever logo is usually in a corner has been moved a few inches towards the centre :crazy:

You must have a dodgy TV if you can't notice the difference in quality of HD to SD

Slick

Juniors
And how about showing the NRL footy show in HD in Sydney at 9:30 instead of the bloody AFL footy show! Why do I have to switch over to SD?

Perth Red

Post Whore
With more HD channels coming available I would hope that Ch9 show RL on a dedicated national channel some day. It seems being on HD won't make a jot of difference in SA, WA or Vic unfortunaltey.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
With more HD channels coming available I would hope that Ch9 show RL on a dedicated national channel some day. It seems being on HD won't make a jot of difference in SA, WA or Vic unfortunaltey.

Ten is making their second HD channel a sports dedicated channel. I hope the other networks follow their lead.

Johnny Bravo

Juniors
Well when I'm watching full HD I can't really tell the difference... maybe I'm just not watching the right things?
Just because they're on a HD channel it doesn't necessarily mean that they are filmed in full HD.

Some shows have incredible definition, others meh. Best real comparison you could get is find someone with Blu Ray and compare that to a regular dvd. The gap is massive.

Hanscholo

Bench
Would it really be that much better?

Yes, if you have a TV worth watching it on. HD is superb to watch anything in, sport in particular. I am normally pretty slow to wrap these kind of things, but going back to normal definition after using HD just isnt an option now, it is just that much better.

Munky

Coach
About time.

Watching the NRL is terrible on a big screen TV. It looks like an oversized Youtube video.

TiTTieS_[CNTDN]

Juniors
Just interested if anyone knows whether Foxsports and/or Channel 9 will be broadcasting NRL games this year in HD? I would have to say, seeing how many people now seem to have HD or better sets, that it is about time that they start doing so if they haven't already.

Caged Panther

First Grade
Yes to both fox and nine broadcasting some games in high def this year. Not sure about fox but nine will be doing at least one a week.

Geohood

Bench
After seeing sports like NFL and Cricket in HD its so much better than normal.. more than you would think.

ozbash

Referee
the HD telecasts from Aus and the U.S are total rubbish quality wise compared to NZ or U.K telecasts.

watching NRL throughFox is no different to watching it pre-HD. CH 9 is worse still..

bobmar28

Bench
the HD telecasts from Aus and the U.S are total rubbish quality wise compared to NZ or U.K telecasts.

watching NRL throughFox is no different to watching it pre-HD. CH 9 is worse still..
Are you sure your watching Foxtel HD?
I find the HD pictures on 9 to be very clear. And why would HD be any different in any part of the world?

Last edited:

beave

Coach
because everything is better in NZ eh bro???????????.............................

Last edited:

Actually Fox HD for rugby league was pretty bloody good this year. It started off a little scratchy but improved greatly as the season went along. Sure it wasnt quite up to the standard of an ESPN broadcast but they have been perfecting HD for 3 or 4 years now. The thing fox are doing wrong though is broadcasting sport in 1080i not 720p ( progressive pictures are better for fast moving images)

And Nine have very much improved their HD broadcating if the test match cricket is anything to go by. I was pretty stunned when i saw the quality during the first test.

Oh and if you think ESPN HD is total rubbish you need to get your eyes checked.

Last edited: