What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

High Definition Coverage

Johnny Bravo

Juniors
This is not true, I pick up every sd & hd channel except 9, however I pick up 9 analogue.
Then you are a very rare exception to the rule. Generally even if it's snowing on the analogue broadcast, most people will still get the HD broadcast pretty clearly. Digital uses the same spectrum space of your regular SD channels. But uses less of it, with better error correction, which is why it is very odd for you to not be able to receive the digital broadcast if you can receive the analogue.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I know that Channel 9 has purchased the rights for the UK Superleague this year. Apparently they will show it live and then replay it next day at a friendly hour. That's heaps better that Foz Sports who showed games a week late and during weekday working hours.

I'm assuming this will be shown on their new HD Channel. Does anyone know?

I hope it goes out on HD, I'd rather wait a week on Fox than not at all on 9 Perth!

ozbash

Referee
Are you sure your watching Foxtel HD?
I find the HD pictures on 9 to be very clear. And why would HD be any different in any part of the world?

they both have the HD logo beside them.

As to the difference, I dont know. My bro-in-law lives in melb and he says kiwi HD is sh*t and Fox is great.
When he comes home he says what I say, so I dont know.

American HD is rubbish

Parra

Referee
I get more crappy interference with digital channels than I did with analogue using the same antenna & cables.

HD stuff does have some noticeable variance - some of the Nascar & Hockey from the US is great quality as is some NFL. Other NFL is less so - even though they are all HD.

The cricket from 9 in HD has been very good, the difference is noticeable to anyone when you flick from SD to HD whilst watching.

The best stuff to show off HD is the true HD nature shows on discovery - the macro close-ups with insects etc. There is not so much need for this in sport broadcasts.

Johnny Bravo

Juniors
there supposed to be 20-30 odd channels coming out for digital tv in the next month or two i believe....adding more sports such as the NBA....oh yeaaaa
No, it's 15 channels all up... And it's only current broadcasters basically adding another channel.

Basically ABC, SBS, 7, 9, Ten will all have 3 channels, and it's because of the digital cutover, not having to broadcast in analogue frees up spectrum space.

beave

Coach
they both have the HD logo beside them.

As to the difference, I dont know. My bro-in-law lives in melb and he says kiwi HD is sh*t and Fox is great.
When he comes home he says what I say, so I dont know.

American HD is rubbish

I disagree about the yank HD being rubbish, having seen what they get over there first hand on a HD Tv and it looks spectacular.........maybe the signal getting relayed to you is terrible or weak for some reason.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Does WIN have a seperate HD channel? Haven't found it if it does.

I'm pretty sure it would... all Nine affiliates should have their own HD channel... NBN certainly does (SD is Ch 8, HD Ch 80). Checking on Wikipedia, it appears WIN is the same - 8 SD and 80 HD.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
If you've got a plasma or lcd tv built in the last 2-3 years, chances are you've already got a tv with an inbuilt hd tuner. If not, you'll need to get a hd set top box, which can be bought at your local department store like Big W for $80-100..

Ok i've got an HD compatible TV (Tevion from Aldi wooo!!) which outputs higher than SD, probably 1080i (or p, whichever one's lower) and it allows ggood visuals from my 360 and ps3.

i'm certain it doesnt have a tuner in it so I'd need a settop box?

the tv aerial is crap and i get heaps of snow, does this ened to be fixed? one of the reasons i dont bother fixing it is cos 9 turns out ok (and thats where the footy is!). running a crappy aerial through an HD box, will that give a better pic or just HD with snow?

ozbash

Referee
I disagree about the yank HD being rubbish, having seen what they get over there first hand on a HD Tv and it looks spectacular.........maybe the signal getting relayed to you is terrible or weak for some reason.

maybe, although all our signal is satelite.

Johnny Bravo

Juniors
Ok i've got an HD compatible TV (Tevion from Aldi wooo!!) which outputs higher than SD, probably 1080i (or p, whichever one's lower) and it allows ggood visuals from my 360 and ps3.

the tv aerial is crap and i get heaps of snow, does this ened to be fixed? one of the reasons i dont bother fixing it is cos 9 turns out ok (and thats where the footy is!). running a crappy aerial through an HD box, will that give a better pic or just HD with snow?
If it's a tevion, I highly doubt it'd have a tuner in it. You'll need a HD set top box. By the sounds of it, your tv will accept a 1080i signal, but the screen resolution is probably 480p (as most 720p+ tv's come with an inbuilt tuner). All of that is irrelevant though, you'll get much clearer picture with a digital set top box.

As to whether you'll get snow or not, digital never gets snow, but it gets "artifacts", basically blocks of picture that will have a glitch in it, and sound popping etc. That is all dependant on your aerial, but hard to gauge depending on your analogue signal, generally there should be an improvement. Your best bet, if you want HD television is to buy a set top box and see how it performs, if the picture is still an issue, you may need to get your aerial re-aligned which will probably cost around $100 depending on the time it takes.

bobmar28

Bench

I don't think it's your antenna. A poor reception on HD usually will cause pixelating not snow. You may be getting an SD signal. Are you sure your TV is HD?

Pierced Soul

First Grade
I don't think it's your antenna. A poor reception on HD usually will cause pixelating not snow. You may be getting an SD signal. Are you sure your TV is HD?

yeah it's HD albeit a cheap one, it cost me $900 for a 42" so quality isnt exactly the best. i'm certain its the aerial cos the old tv (SD) got snow and distortion as well and we know its the antenna cos when we get high winds the picture becomes quite variable and switches between wtachable and unwatchable.

we neevr bothered fixing the antenna out\rselves cos where it's located is a large drop and given i dont care enough to watch tv in general falling off doesnt seem worth it (same with my laziness to get it fixed)

2black2strong

Juniors
Yeah but Digital Tv doesn't get any snow brother. If there is a bad picture the screen will break up into pixelated boxes and flashes of green then go completely blank if the signal is really bad. No snow.

Sounds like you need a Digital Set top box, they're really cheap now. I think I picked one up last year from K-mart for $25 or something. I've got a built in tuner with my tv now but that $25 one worked good while I needed it.

Johnny Bravo

Juniors
Yeah but Digital Tv doesn't get any snow brother. If there is a bad picture the screen will break up into pixelated boxes and flashes of green then go completely blank if the signal is really bad. No snow.

Sounds like you need a Digital Set top box, they're really cheap now. I think I picked one up last year from K-mart for $25 or something. I've got a built in tuner with my tv now but that $25 one worked good while I needed it.
He's already said he doesn't have a HD tuner in his TV, but he has a HD compatible TV.

ozbash

Referee

Are you able to get HD via an antenna ?

I thought HD was a digital transmission and could only be carried by cable or satelite..