What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

High Definition Coverage

Are you sure your watching Foxtel HD?
I find the HD pictures on 9 to be very clear. And why would HD be any different in any part of the world?

Its different mostly becuase of the Bit rates each individual broadcaster would decide to use. Generally they would mostly be filmed at a similar quality ( depending on equiptment) but the higher the bit rate used during actual broadcasting means a higher standard of broadcast. Most aussie networks dumb down the bit rate most likely so their antiquated broadcast teachnology can cope with the signal.

Johnny_L_O

Juniors
Here in the UK the Super League has been broadcast in HD for 2 years now and is pretty good. Another thing though comes down to the lighting in the stadium, especially for a night game. All clubs had to have a £300,000 ($600,000) upgrade on the floodlights before sky put it on HD. I know the 1st year Hull KR were in SL Sky had to bring thier own floodlights because KR's were not good enough for a HD broadcast.

Also I am surprised that someone mentions U.S HD as poor because in England I find them to be the best. I am sitting here watching the NFL now and the picture quality is awesome... no grainyness in the dark bits or anything like that.

Cricket over here is also very good in HD and obviously Premiership Football.

How many HD channels have you guys got now anyway? We have just hit 30 last month with a 31st coming in sometime in the next few weeks.

Here in the UK the Super League has been broadcast in HD for 2 years now and is pretty good. Another thing though comes down to the lighting in the stadium, especially for a night game. All clubs had to have a £300,000 ($600,000) upgrade on the floodlights before sky put it on HD. I know the 1st year Hull KR were in SL Sky had to bring thier own floodlights because KR's were not good enough for a HD broadcast.

Also I am surprised that someone mentions U.S HD as poor because in England I find them to be the best. I am sitting here watching the NFL now and the picture quality is awesome... no grainyness in the dark bits or anything like that.

Cricket over here is also very good in HD and obviously Premiership Football.

How many HD channels have you guys got now anyway? We have just hit 30 last month with a 31st coming in sometime in the next few weeks.

You have hit the nail on the head in regards to lighting , which in turn does tend to help the daytime broadcasts ( Like cricket and premier league)

Fox this year tended to do HD broadcasts mostly from the more modern grounds which have the better lighting ( skilled , SFS , ANZ ) some grounds in the NRL are likely not up to standard.

We have 10 HD channels , 5 free to air and another 5 on Fox.

perverse

Referee
the lack of progressive HD signals in this country is pretty disgraceful imo. i notice the difference massively on my TV tuner on my PC. SBS and i think ABC HD are both progressive... the rest is interlaced bullsh*t.

frustrates the crap out of me.

Would this mean games on 9hd would go national? Or is that asking too much?

Under current law , no.

Sport that is covered by the anti syphoning list is not allowed to be broadcast only on the HD channel. Which is a pretty crazy law considering the regional nature of our football codes and the current low prices of HD set top boxes.

However there has been talk of change to this law , not sure where its at though.

Bluebags1908

Juniors
I know that Channel 9 has purchased the rights for the UK Superleague this year. Apparently they will show it live and then replay it next day at a friendly hour. That's heaps better that Foz Sports who showed games a week late and during weekday working hours.

I'm assuming this will be shown on their new HD Channel. Does anyone know?

_Johnsy

Referee
the lack of progressive HD signals in this country is pretty disgraceful imo. i notice the difference massively on my TV tuner on my PC. SBS and i think ABC HD are both progressive... the rest is interlaced bullsh*t.

frustrates the crap out of me.

exactly, I get every channel in SD & HD, except 9, 9 only broadcast in analogue. Yet 5 minutes drive down the road, you get channel 9 in digital. the worst thing is I am a 15 minute drive from the gold coast.

Get your sh*t together 9

beave

Coach
U serious??????

God even up here we get WIN in digital, you might have to move back mate ;-)

LeagueLegend

Juniors
To get HD tv you'll need a HD capable TV. Resolultion of 720p or higher. Standard TV has a resolution of 576. Don't get too hung up about the numbers though, just ask when you get a new tv if it is is HD. Your existing aerial should be fine but if it's a bit dodgy with your current signal an upgrade may well be worth it.

Last edited:

Johnny Bravo

Juniors
ok so being oblivious to tv ( i only watch footy on it) what do i need to get HDtv?
If you've got a plasma or lcd tv built in the last 2-3 years, chances are you've already got a tv with an inbuilt hd tuner. If not, you'll need to get a hd set top box, which can be bought at your local department store like Big W for $80-100.

Instead of just getting SBS, ABC, 9, Ten, 7... You'll get 3 channels for each station... SD, HD and Digital. Many of the stations now include alternative programming on the different broadcasts, so it's well worth the investment.

Johnny Bravo

Juniors
To get HD tv you'll need a HD capable TV. Resolultion of 720p or higher. Standard TV has a resolution of 576. Don't get too hung up about the numbers though, just ask when you get a new tv if it is is HD. Your existing aerial should be fine but if it's a bit dodgy with your current signal an upgrade may well be worth it.
If analogue works on his existing antenna, digital will. Digital can work better with a weaker signal than analogue.

Whether he has a HD tv or not is irrelevant, the tuners can downsample it if his tv is not capable of receiving a HD signal.

Johnny Bravo

Juniors
That's like buying a ferrari with a 2-stroke mower engine - why bother?
Because the channels have different shows being broadcast currently, and they will continue to diversify over the coming years. Channel 10 are launching a 24/7 sports channel that will only be available via HD.

There is no need to spread misinformation because you don't rate it as relevant, or important. I hate watching television in standard definition as much as the next bloke, but to some it's not important.

LeagueLegend

Juniors
There is no need to spread misinformation because you don't rate it as relevant, or important. I hate watching television in standard definition as much as the next bloke, but to some it's not important.

It's misleading to suggest you are getting HD when your screen is only capable of SD despite what the tuner can do.

Last edited:

Johnny Bravo

Juniors
It's misleading to suggest you are getting HD when your screen is only capable of SD.
Are you, or are you not able to watch the broadcast? I've already said it "downsamples" the picture. You telling someone to go out to get a $2000 tv because it's the only way they can watch HD broadcasts, when clearly the OP said he only watches it for sport and does not really care, is misleading.

And you can still notice the difference on a HD broadcast on a SD tv, over a regular analogue transmission anyway.

If all channels broadcast the same content, I'd agree with you. But there are plenty of reasons other than "better picture" to go out and buy a HD set top box. I'm watching the NFL on Ten HD at the moment, Dr Phil is probably on Ten SD.

Latest posts