What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hindmarsh Announces Retirement

Springs

First Grade
Round 26 better sell out. It's sad that it's going to be announced this early in the year. Sad that nothing has happened to convince him to go one more year.

Maybe it might be extra motivation for his teammates. It won't really be the same next year, he better be going out on his own terms.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
What a sad sad day.

Nathan Hindmarsh you are a true legend of the game, and i feel priviledged to have watched your career. You are the heart and soul of this club and will leave a huge hole to fill.

Please pick yourseleves up boys and give this man what he deserves. Please

This. :(

I think all Parra fans have had the privledge of watching his whole career.

Well done Hindy, you're a true champion.

tresurehunt

Juniors
im pretty sure i seen hindy before this years comp started saying this would be his last year,but there was no big press conference or anything.
anyway, lets see know if this changes some attitudes in our roster,if they cant lift for the remaining season they just arent good enough,if your not good enough,your not good enough,thats it...

Parra Pride

Referee
I reckon we should build a 12 foot tall solid gold statue of Hindy in the middle of Parra stadium.

#MakeItHappen

Snoochies

First Grade
Hindmarsh Announces Retirement

Doug MacDougall
Eels Media

Thursday 29 March 2012 2:24 PM

00022313-image.jpg

CLICK HERE TO VIEW NATHAN'S RETIREMENT ANNOUNCEMENT
Arguably the greatest player to have pulled on a Blue and Gold jersey, Pirtek Parramatta Eels captain Nathan Hindmarsh has this afternoon announced he will retire at the conclusion of the 2012 season.
Hindmarsh, 32, released a video recording tonight with all the laid-back and self-deprecating character that Rugby League fans have come to know and love throughout his magnificent 15-year career.
In his video, available on the Eels website – parraeels.com.au – and in transcript below, Hindmarsh said he had always intended to make an announcement early this year after having made the decision to retire in late 2011.
Eels Coach Stephen Kearney has been aware of his decision for some time, with the Eels coach and management giving Nathan the latitude to announce his decision at his leisure.
“15 years at this legendary club. It’s hard to believe,” Hindmarsh said in his video.
“I made the decision late last year and informed the coach and people close to me that 2012 was going to be my last season.
“I know there has been a lot of speculation about my career of late and I thank the coach and club for giving me the time I needed to make this decision public.
“I was always going to announce it early on in the season, and ideally I would have liked to have done it coming off four wins. But that’s footy isn’t it.
“That’s why I’m announcing my retirement now. I love this club it’s been my life since I was 16. I’ve made lifelong friends, met my wife and watched my kids’ faces light up when I tell them they can come to work with dad.
“I’m hoping that by announcing this, it will take some pressure off my coach, my team mates and the club, so we can get back to focusing on what really matters… winning games.
“I will retire as a one club player which I am very proud of. I’m going to finish my career the same way I started - utterly and deeply exhausted - knowing I have tried my best and left it all on the field.”
Eels head coach Stephen Kearney paid tribute to Hindmarsh’s impact on the game over the past 15 years.
“He’s a guy who pretty much redefined how much work one human being can get through out there on the paddock.
“I don’t know how many times I’ve seen replays of him chasing down wingers and fullbacks, making that last ditch effort that’s the difference between winning and losing matches.
“He’s all about heart and that’s why he’s so respected by everyone who plays the game, as well as loved and admired by those who watch it.
“He’s always put the team and this Club first and they are huge shoes to fill.
“It’s been a tough start to the season for us but the lads are focused on improving from here, and making sure Nathan finishes his playing career on a high note.”
Eels Chief Executive Officer Bob Bentley said:
“Words probably can’t describe what Nathan means to this Club and our supporters.
“When people think of the Eels, they think Nathan Hindmarsh.
“He’s given his heart and soul to this Club on and off the field for his entire career and built his success on sheer hard work and dedication.
“Obviously it would have been terrific for Nathan to have had the chance to announce his retirement after a better start to the season for us, but we’re confident the team can turn this around and make it a season to remember.
“We’re already preparing for one hell of a send-off at the end of the year.
“Nathan is quite simply a living treasure of this rugby league club and we will be doing everything we can to give him the send-off he deserves.”

FULL TRANSCRIPT – NATHAN HINDMARSH RETIREMENT ANNOUNCEMENT
G’day guys, I think you all know what’s coming in this speech, so let me just say it straight - “I won Powerball last week and I won’t be back next year… ” No, no, that’s not right!
What I want you all to know is that I’ll be retiring at the end of this season… 2012 will be my last hooray.
S**t, 15 years at this legendary club. It’s hard to believe.
I made the decision late last year and informed the coach and people close to me that 2012 was going to be my last season.
I know there has been al lot of speculation about my career of late and I thank the coach and club for giving me the time I needed to make this decision public.
I was always going to announce it early on in the season, and ideally I would have liked to have done it coming off four wins. But that’s footy isn’t it.
That’s why I’m announcing my retirement now. I love this club it’s been my life since I was 16. I’ve made lifelong friends, met my wife and watched my kids’ faces light up when I tell them they can come to work with dad.
I’m hoping that by announcing this, it will take some pressure off my coach, my team mates and the club so we can get back to focusing on what really matters …winning games.
Announcing the end of my career is a bloody weird thing because life doesn’t stop. Rugby league doesn’t stop and the kids and Bon certainly won’t stop needing me. In some ways I think I’m announcing the end of the best years of my life. But really I’m just beginning a new chapter. I can’t wait to sit up in the stands with beer in my hand and my 3 boys sitting next to me.
I have some things in the pipe line for 2013 definitely involving kids, footy and the media. Let’s face it, I’m very important, I have many leather bound books. And my apartment smells of rich mahogany.
Rugby league is a roller coaster and I think the people who ride with you most are the fans. They are there for the ups the downs, the good times and the bad, and I can’t tell you how much I appreciate all your support. I love coming to a game and seeing all those familiar faces. You are the backbone of rugby league, keep turning up.
There are so many people who have been an integral part of my career but I will thank you all at a later date.
I will retire as a one club player which I am very proud of. I’m going to finish my career the same way I started - utterly and deeply exhausted - knowing I have tried my best and left it all on the field.
See you all at the game on Saturday… can’t wait!

http://www.parraeels.com.au/news-display/Hindmarsh-Announces-Retirement/49868

goosie

Juniors
parra might start putting in 100 percent for the rest of this season now and maybe win a couple of games lol

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I dont think he had much choice really.

Gonna be a sad day seeing the boys run out without Hindy, its just not cricket.

True EEL

Bench
Hope it was Hindy's decision and not something he felt pressured about from anyone. A true Parramatta and Rugby League Legend. An ornament to the game.
Congratulations on a wonderful career, just a shame - much like his good mate Nathan Cayless - he never got to taste premiership glory...

saint06

Juniors
A player that you guys can be very proud of. He earned the right to go out on his terms (and i hope that's what has happened).

A champion player and bloke.

One opposition player i always admired.

I'll be there the last round to see his last game, and give him a standing ovation.

Hopefully its a packed house.