What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hindy's blog

Gronk

Staff member
Backs against the wall

I can’t say the mood at Parramatta is great at the moment. The boys are down and after two losses in games we should have won it’s not hard to see why.
So now tonight we take on Manly in what may be close to a season defining game. Nothing would give us more of a boost than beating the competition leading silvertails at Brooky and, with no one giving us a chance, who knows.
As a player I love it when you get given no chance in a game as that backs to the wall mentality really kicks in. We saw it last weekend with the Titans and hopefully we can replicate their result, although it won’t be easy.
The thing about games like this where nobody gives you a chance is it takes some of the pressure off. Obviously there is still pressure to win but the pressure of expectation is lessened.
A few things have happened this week. One is we have lost Feleti Mateo and there is no hiding it. It’s a huge loss for us. Feleti has been our best week-in-week-out and in my opinion has been close to the best player in the game this year. Not Greg Inglis, no disrespect there but I don’t know how Johnathan Thurston didn’t win best player in the Player’s Poll.
With the losses mounting up and the pressure being put on us I want to clarify that the weight of expectation early in the season hasn’t affected us. The media can write what they want, and do, but it doesn’t really affect us.
Of course the other big change is Jarryd Hayne is in the fullback jersey with Luke Burt having a rest.
Obviously I am mates with both guys but Luke and I go way back. It’s hard to put personal feelings aside when someone like Luke gets dropped, but he has known his form has been a little down.
As for Haynesy, well he has got his wish, so we will see how he goes.
As for tonight we have to shut down the likes of the Stewart brothers and Matt Orford, not to mention Steven “the Beaver” Menzies, if for no other reason than to shut the mouth of the most annoying ground announcer in the NRL.
I certainly don’t want to see Steve score a try and then hear “The Beeeaaaaaaverrrrrrrrrr”.
As for us we have to hold the ball and I would say complete 85-90% of our sets. No team completes theirs as well as Manly so to match them we have to be competitive and about 12 of our guys have to play their best footy.
The Player’s Poll came out this week and I can’t believe Willie Mason got voted Most Overrated. I actually penciled Mase down for something else last year as a gee up, but overrated, no way.
The guy has played for Australia and NSW, but he’s in good company with the likes of Braith Anasta and Brad Fittler being nominated for the award in the past. Actually, given that, I want the tag in 2009, so bring on the votes!
Mark Gasnier is off to France and good luck to him. No one can honestly begrudge him for taking the million dollars and running all the way to the bank. Anyone who was offered a new job with that kind of pay would have to take it, no matter what they do.
Yesterday was Buster’s first birthday and what a day he had. He got spoilt but I think he enjoyed his ice cream cake the most, although he and Archie are loving the trampoline. I know I said I would send photos but I have changed phones.
During the week I also got a chance to hoon around Parramatta Stadium on one some awesome bikes. It was a promo for the Super X event to be held at Parramatta at the end of the year.
The most dangerous thing I did was ride up and down the stairs, so no jumping for me, but I had a good time and can’t wait to see the event later in the year when Australia’s US Supercross champion Chad Reed comes out.
Hindy

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
As for tonight we have to shut down the likes of the Stewart brothers and Matt Orford, not to mention Steven “the Beaver” Menzies, if for no other reason than to shut the mouth of the most annoying ground announcer in the NRL.
I certainly don’t want to see Steve score a try and then hear “The Beeeaaaaaaverrrrrrrrrr”.

:lol: :lol:

Fathead

Bench
Tells me that if Hayne doesnt have a big one then Hindy is going to be there telling him all about it...

Eelectrica

Referee
Tells me we're preparing to play a boring, unthreatening one out style tonight.
And if that's the plan they might as well not turn up and chalk up the loss already.

Attack guys. Just be smart about the offloads and passes, but one out stuff ain't gonna work. Manly will lap that up and ask for more.

bartman

Immortal
Hindy's latest...
I wrote earlier in the season that league is going soft. Well this weekend did absolutely nothing to dispel that theory after Jason Ryles was sent off for playing footsies with Adam Blair.

When a front rower is sent off for something like that I wonder what the game is coming to?

Now I have got over that it’s time to look at our game from the weekend.

Things were looking good until after Tony Williams scored in the second half. After that try it seemed like we simply forgot how to attack and pushed too hard trying to create something out of nothing.

We certainly didn’t benefit from any of the referee’s decisions on the night and I am adamant Chad Robinson scored a try. I thought the attacking team was supposed to get the benefit of the doubt?

I also thought there were a couple of other things which went against us including Brett Stewart not being penalised after Jarryd Hayne had stripped him and Snake held Haynesy down for a while. There were a couple of other calls as well.

But at the end of the day we can’t blame the ref and have to look in the mirror. The truth is we lost another game we should have won.

When Manly lost Matt Orford before the game we were licking our lips and then they lost Jamie Lyon early on. With the loss of Orford and Killer we should have been able to dominate them. It became even clearer when big Jason King did his ankle later on in the game but we failed in our task.

I may sound frustrated in this post, but it’s hard not to be.

Despite being able to knock us over I don’t feel like Manly are a genuine premiership contender. I think they lack that X-factor teams need to win the comp. If Michael Monaghan was still there I don’t think I would feel that way.

Manly are a very good team but that is as far as I think it goes. I have no doubt they can make the Grand Final but I don’t believe they can win it.

As for what we need to do, well I have said to the media we need to improve on our goal line defence and I stand by it. You can’t stand on your goal line and expect to be able to stop the opposition.

That try Anthony Watmough scored against us was just about the worst try a team I have played in has conceded. Tries from dummy half are bad enough but that one was atrocious!

With tries being scored from dummy half mentioned I am hoping Mark Ridell can snag one this week. I think Piggy is on the bench to provide an impact and I look forward to seeing some trademark Piggy runs.

I really hope we can get a huge crowd of the Eels faithful out to Parramatta Stadium for our clash with North Queensland on Friday night. I know 13th v 16th doesn’t look great on paper, but we need the support.

The Cowboys will be motivated as well. No team wants the wooden spoon and with the finals now out of their reach they will be looking to shed the kitchenware. Even without Thurston they showed last week they still know how to attack.

I’m off to St Josephs College this arvo to give their union side a hand, but there is no hint of a code switch, unless I get offered a contract a la Gaz!

Back at home and we took the kids down to Robertson for the weekend. They loved it but with the whole family there and seven kids it was a bit of a headache.

Hindy

Gronk

Staff member
he is seriously deluded if he thought things were looking good at any stage of that match.

WTF ? That first 20 we looked like a team, had all the ball and it was looking more positive than it had for many weeks.

Suitman

Post Whore
Nathan Hindmarsh said:
Back at home and we took the kids down to Robertson for the weekend. They loved it but with the whole family there and seven kids it was a bit of a headache.

It's called fatherhood Hindy!! :lol:

Suity

Captain BF

Juniors
I would like to play five eighth but it’s not going to happen..
i say give him a shot it might be interesting can you imagine an opposition fullback catching a kick and looking up to see hindy running full steam at them? :lol:
If Piggy was able to be 5/8th last week, surely Hindy can get a game in the 6. I remember seeing Hindy kick for a try. Hell ya never know, he may kick a field goal to win a match one day...

Gronk

Staff member
Monday's loss puts us in a tough position

It was a very poor game from us on Monday night against the Knights. We started the game very slowly and we finished the same way. It was a shocker. A very disappointing effort mostly across the board from us, except for maybe Nathan Cayless and Jarryd Hayne. So it's back to the drawing board again, unfortunately.
Newcastle aren't a shabby side by any means. Danny Buderus and Kurt Gidley are two of the most consistent players in the comp, but it really was a one-sided game. We were prepared for a hard game and knew it would be a fight, but we started slowly and paid the price for it.
Before some games I get the sense that the team is not up for it, particularly when you are expected to beat the opposition, but I didn't have that feeling the other night.
We’re now in a hard position. From what I've heard we've got to win every game from now on to make the eight, starting Sunday against the Roosters. We've had discussions all through the season about how we're going and to try and fix things but it's just one of those things. If you're not on, you're not on. It's very frustrating however. Why we're not clicking is a hard question to answer and I would love to be able to answer it!
If you look at us on paper, across the board we look very strong, so I sometimes just don't know what's going on. We're just not putting it together as a team
Sunday is a big game for us. The Roosters pretty much embarrassed us the first time we met this season, so we'll be looking to make amends. We're playing for the Jack Gibson Cup this time, something that's going to be ongoing between the two clubs, so it would be nice to pick up a bit of silverware there.
We know again that this is another game that's not going to be easy. The Roosters are up near the top of the table so we're expecting a very hard game, plus there's always a good rivalry between us so it could be a solid match. There's a bit of the Westies vs the Easties about this match and it will just be interesting to see if those Rooster fans actually get out to the game. Hopefully the rain stays away and there's a big crowd but you never know with Roosters games! Sometimes people turn up and sometimes they don't.
There's been a heap of talk this week of course about the Sonny Bill Williams matter and I'll just say a couple of things. What I can’t understand is why he couldn't just play out seven more weeks and then go to France if he wanted to? He could surely have waited that time and then gone over. It's just amazing that he'd let his mates down like that. I can totally understand the money issue. If you're being offered money like that of course you are going to consider it. But if you sign a five-year contract and then just walk out on it like that, it's hard to believe.
People say "he's under pressure", but what NRL player isn't under pressure? I mean we play the game, we want to play first grade and the pressure is just part of it. We all experience it and as a kid it's the sort of exposure that you grow up wanting. If you don't want that exposure, don't do it in the first place. It really annoys me when people complain about pressure.
I mean you do have to get some space away from the game at times, but we play the game because we love it and the pressure is part of it. Having said that, one of the ways I've been relaxing a bit lately has been that I've been trying to learn the drums. I've got a couple of kits at home and I give them a fairly solid workout. I'm pretty terrible but I really love it and I really want to learn. And this is a dead serious suggestion, if there's anyone out there who's a drum teacher and would be willing to give me a few lessons, I'm up for it! I'm serious, I really enjoy it, so if there's anyone who can teach me a bit, please contact the Parramatta club.
I've been trying to learn for probably the past five years but I've decided that now is the time to stop mucking around. So someone, give us a call! But I guess one of the problems is the moment I start having a bash, my kids come down and take over. They're into it! In general, the boys are going great guns. They're growing up fast and I just love watching them enjoy themselves and learn new things. Maybe they can watch their dad learn something new!

bartman

Immortal
He gives Hayne a public wrap there...

At least Hindy is honest when he says that he "just don't know what is going on", and the squad "just not putting it together as a team".

Gronk

Staff member
We knew we had it in us

It was a very good win last weekend against the Roosters and we knew we had it in us. It was a game we thought we could win and we did. We got the game plan right and the attitude was good.
When you’re written off by everyone it always fires you up a bit more. It was a Sunday afternoon game, there was a decent crowd there and everyone was really looking forward to it. I even managed to get over for a try! I don’t mind scoring them that’s for sure so I’ll take it, no dramas.
I don’t think the Roosters played that badly but I think they looked a bit flat simply because we made them play that way. We didn’t give them time to kick the ball like they normally do and we concentrated well on defending their wingers and fullback Sammy Perrett in particular. So I don’t think they played badly, I just think we played better.
Roosters winger Amos Roberts was injured pretty early on in the game so that kept him a bit quiet, but we did want to concentrate on him as well. He’s been killing it for the Roosters this year so we wanted to make sure he didn’t get it all his own way.
We had a chat during last week about how we can improve our game and how we can improve as individuals. We sorted a few things out that were not necessarily dividing the team but that lacked clarity. We looked at how we could work as one and I think that really had an impact.
To be honest I don’t exactly know the numbers for us to make the semis but I think we pretty much have to win every game. That’s definitely how we’re looking at it. We want to win every game and whatever works out works out. So if we do make the semis after that we’ll be on a bit of a roll.
We’ve got the Tigers on Monday night at Parra Stadium. The Tigers are starting to show some form and I think it could be a great game. I’m not a huge fan of playing the last game of the round on Monday nights, but that’s just the way it goes. I prefer to play early on and then watch the other teams bash each other.
Leading up to this game, we had a bit of a hit of golf on Thursday. On Friday we trained in the morning, Saturday we have off and then we train again on Sunday.
The golf game was a team activity, something that players officially have to attend. But those kind of things aren’t a hassle, they’re good for the team. A few of us do enjoy having a hit of golf in general. We played at Parramatta this week and it’s good to be out there having a hit. Nathan Cayless goes alright, but Eric Grothe would have to be the worst. I don’t think he’s cut out to be a golfer.
Following on from last week’s blog I was stoked to get an email from some guys on the Central Coast of NSW who offered me some drum lessons after I mentioned I was looking for a teacher. It’s a bit far for me to travel but I certainly appreciate the offer and am still keen to learn how to play the kit properly. So if there anyone a bit closer to home, don’t hesitate to get in touch through the Eels. I mean it.
I’ve been loving the Olympics on TV all week. I’m a big fan of the hockey actually. It’s a really tough game, they really have to be fit and the obviously play to a game plan. In some senses it’s a bit like league.
In the swimming, the thing I can’t believe is how many world records are being broken! It’s got me beat how those swim suits they’re all wearing can actually make you go faster. How can it be faster to have something on rather than just have your bare skin? It’s amazing.
Something else on the agenda is we’re involved with the Bandaged Bear Cup next weekend against the Bulldogs. It’s for the Children’s Hospital at Westmead so we’ll be doing a few things for that, going to the hospital and stuff. That’s a good cause and is something I’m glad we can be involved in. Those things are important to do I reckon.
See you next week!
Hindy

bartman

Immortal
We had a chat during last week about how we can improve our game and how we can improve as individuals. We sorted a few things out that were not necessarily dividing the team but that lacked clarity. We looked at how we could work as one and I think that really had an impact.
Best thing I've read all year.

bartman

Immortal
Hindy's latest entry... doesn't make good reading regarding our chances of a good win to finish the season this weeked?

http://www.nathanhindmarsh.bigblog.com.au/index.do

What an empty feeling...

Wednesday 03 September, 2008 - 17:33 by Nathan in Default

Well what can I say, the season is basically over for us now. It’s a really empty feeling. Things went completely pear-shaped last Saturday night against the Dragons and it was a very disappointing effort right across the board. In the back of our minds going into that game we were pretty certain that Melbourne were going to beat Newcastle, but they didn’t, and the Warriors also won, so that meant we were gone.

I thought we’d turned up to play on Saturday night but we just missed too many tackles and that was the end of it. Don’t get me wrong, St George are a classy side, but once again we were very disappointing as a team. We had 40 points scored against us and it was a very ugly scoreline. We started the game well but everything after that went backwards. Our defensive line was always staggered, we weren’t winning the ruck. Not good.

It’s just the emptiest feeling at the moment. I honestly don’t know what to do with myself. It’s the first time it’s happened to me in a long time, to be out of the race for the semis with a game of the regular season still to go, and I feel so flat. I didn’t actually realise we were out of the race until the press conference after the game and I was honestly lost for words. It was a shocking feeling.

The game this weekend is against the Warriors at Parramatta Stadium but it just feels like a dead rubber for us. Having said that, of course we’ll be doing everything within our power to win because they are pushing for the semis and it’s always good to challenge a team who really need to win. Hopefully we can get a nice win to end the season then we can have a few weeks off and think about next year.

I’m actually heading over to Rwanda this off-season with a few other players, including Justin Poore from St George. The trip has been organised by former Canberra great Paul Osborne and we’re going over there to help build an orphanage and do some community work. It should be very interesting and a far cry from the normal end-of-season trips. A few of the other Parra boys are going to Las Vegas, so I will be in a very different place!

Rwanda is also home to the legendary mountain gorillas so we’re going to be checking those out too. It’s very exciting and Africa is somewhere I haven’t been before so I’m looking forward to it. To be able to help out with the work we’re going to be doing over there is excellent. If we can contribute to help make things easier for kids then I’m right into it. After that we are going to head down to South Africa and check out the great white sharks, so that will be exciting too.

We’re heading off just a few days after the Grand Final. I’m sorry to say that I personally won’t be needed for that, and then there’s the World Cup as well – and as I said a few weeks ago, I missed out on getting into the training squad for that, so I won’t be needed there either. Maybe it’s better if I don’t go into that now!

Obviously this weekend being our last game for the year, we start looking ahead to what’s coming up. The off-season seems to be getting shorter every year – or maybe that’s because I am getting older! But we basically have six weeks off and then we start to wind things back up again.

Just one thing I need to mention, a few weeks ago I said that I was looking for some drum lessons. Well I just wanted to say thanks to the crew from Western Australia who sent me a DVD on basic drumming techniques. Thanks a lot for that, it might come in very handy!

Oh and one other thing, my junior team the Roberston Spuddies won their under-18 grand final on the weekend. It’s a massive thing for the club down there because we haven’t had a win in senior football for years and years. It’s in the Group 6 comp and the boys are stoked. It means a lot to the club and it means a lot to me.

I still get down home quite a bit. The family and I went down there last week and had a great couple of days. I’m heading back down there next week to present a trophy to the winner of the Hindmarsh Cup, which is a comp between years three and four at local primary schools. I’m very pleased to say that my old school Robertson Primary School won it this year so at least a couple of my teams are coming through with wins!

Until next week
Hindy

And good on him for builiding an orphanage in Rwanda seeing as he wasn't picked for the World Cup :thumn

strider

Post Whore
I’m actually heading over to Rwanda this off-season with a few other players, including Justin Poore from St George. The trip has been organised by former Canberra great Paul Osborne and we’re going over there to help build an orphanage and do some community work. It should be very interesting and a far cry from the normal end-of-season trips. A few of the other Parra boys are going to Las Vegas, so I will be in a very different place!

my first reaction was ... "send our entire f**king squad with hindy and give the lazy s.o.b.'s a reality check" ..... then I read the bit about gorillas and great whites and realised its just a different holiday :roll:

bartman

Immortal
I guess some of our guys have some excess money to spend in the Vegas casinos this year :lol:

bartman

Immortal
They've probably seen the movie Swingers, and thought it might be a cool thing to do ;-)

Latest posts