What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hindy's blog

Gronk

Staff member
Off-season will fly by!

With the season over for us, we’re all in a bit of a wind down mode, but it’s not really for too long. We go back to training on October 27, so there’s not a massive break. But I’m going to make the most of it this year. As I said the other week, I’m off to Rwanda straight after the Grand Final with a few other players to help build an orphanage. That should be great and I’m looking forward to it. It will be a completely new experience for me and will be about as far removed from football as you can possibly get.
After I come back from Africa I’m taking the family to Bali. I think it’s important to spend time with Bonnie and the boys and it will be good to just kick back and really unwind. As the old saying goes, “happy wife, happy life”! Haha.
Normally at this time of year I watch a lot of football, whether we’re in the semis or not. But I have to say that I have been so busy this year that I only caught small bits of the games on the weekend. With the two boys, I find the minute I sit down to watch something, they want to sit down and watch something else, so it just doesn’t work real well. It’s easier to keep them happy than to argue with them.
I still follow the games and know who won and who didn’t win and of course there’s teams that I want to win and teams that I don’t want to win. But I think it might be a case of just clearing my head a little. It’s been a long season and it’s good to have other things to do and relax a bit.
But, you know, once the weeks start to pass and I’ve had a bit of time off, I’ll be super keen to get back into training and get back into it. Having just a six-week break like that from training you really do notice that your fitness slips, you put on a bit of weight and your thighs loosen up. It’s amazing how quickly that full-on fitness can go. I enjoy being really fit so I’ll be keen to get back to training for that reason alone. The benefits are really apparent.
These days the off-season just goes so quickly. I remember when I was younger it used to feel like when we had school holidays when we were kids. The holidays just seemed like they went for half the year and it was the same with the off-season. Now it just flies by, it feels like about two weeks off and before you know it you are playing trial games in January or February. But I’m not complaining at all. What other job gets six weeks paid holiday each year? We’ve got a pretty good lot, really.
There’s no question I’d like to be playing right now still, of course, but we didn’t make the semis so I just have to deal with that and watch as the other teams battle it out. I thought it was good to see the Warriors beat Melbourne. I really wasn’t surprised to see them win. I know that when they put it together they are a very strong football team and guys like Jerome Ropati are genuinely class players. If he’s not signed for next year yet I think he’ll get snapped up by another team very quickly.
In the other games, I thought St George were going to do much better than they did and I was also hoping to see Canberra get up. It wasn’t to be. The Broncos were also impressive against the Roosters, that was a great game. The upshot that they now play Melbourne next week makes for a hugely interesting game. I think that’s a position that both Melbourne and Brisbane didn’t want to be in, playing each other early on in the semis. But they just have to face it and I really believe that the Storm are now under a lot of pressure. It will be interesting to see how they respond.
One thing I can’t understand about this upcoming weekend of football is why the Roosters have to travel to New Zealand to play a home semi against the Warriors. The Warriors finished eighth and they get a home semi? The Roosters finished fourth and they shouldn’t have to face the eighth-placed team on their home ground. It just doesn’t make sense.
Just a couple of other things to finish up. Firstly I’d just like to thank all the people who voted for me in the Proven-Summons medal. That was very much appreciated. Secondly I just want to say how disappointed I was with the crowd that turned up to our last game against the Warriors. Sure, it was a dead rubber for us and we weren’t going to make the semis, plus it was a miserable night, but it would have been nice for a few more people to be there to farewell guys like Chad Robinson and Daniel Wagon. Those guys have been loyal servants of the club and it was a disappointing farewell for them.
Ok, catch you next week
Hindy

Gronk

Staff member
I'm very proud and excited

Well, to be honest, I can't believe it ... being chosen as captain of the Prime Minister's XIII to play Papua New Guinea has just left me amazed.
It was a very proud moment when I heard the news and it really took me by surprise.
The team that's been chosen is a really good one and I will be very proud to lead them and my country out to play. It was completely unexpected, but I'm stoked.
I'll write more here soon, but just wanted to say I am very pleased about the selection.
Hindy

bartman

Immortal
Secondly I just want to say how disappointed I was with the crowd that turned up to our last game against the Warriors. Sure, it was a dead rubber for us and we weren’t going to make the semis, plus it was a miserable night, but it would have been nice for a few more people to be there to farewell guys like Chad Robinson and Daniel Wagon. Those guys have been loyal servants of the club and it was a disappointing farewell for them.
It's called a wake-up call Hindy. No offence to Wags, Chad and the other one. I'd say it was a general lethargy toward the whole squad and coach, shown by a large number of the fan base that had suffered watching some pretty poor footy, teamwork and effort during a season that never really got off the ground.

Maybe channel that disappointment toward making some of the other members of the squad show the same levels of commitment as you have, and the corwd situation might improve for you by thsi tiem next year?

big boppa eel

Juniors
Maybe thats why Wagon was a sook refused to do a lap of honour for the solid fans that were there, and I do understand the club really went to very little trouble for the guys that were leaving though I still go back to the fans that did attend and deserved better. Bartman Im with you Hindmarsh needs to get with the real world and realise that fans will not accept that they have displayed this year.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Maybe thats why Wagon was a sook refused to do a lap of honour for the solid fans that were there, and I do understand the club really went to very little trouble for the guys that were leaving though I still go back to the fans that did attend and deserved better. Bartman Im with you Hindmarsh needs to get with the real world and realise that fans will not accept that they have displayed this year.

maybe you should read the post above yours and you'll see that he actually is in the real world now. ;-)

Nikki

Coach
Very good Staggers, I did mean football wise, though is it true Wagon didnt bother with the people who attended?.

Wags didnt come onto the field with the other players at the end of the night and snuck out the back after the game. I have always been a huge fans of Wags, but was really dissapointed with him. In saying that, he has never been one for limelight.

big boppa eel

Juniors
Thought so cheers guys, pretty sh*t house attitude on his part I think unless he was pissed with the club, either way it doesnt really matter now.

Last edited:

Gronk

Staff member
Plenty of news, plenty of drama

As you can see by my MMS section there has been a lot happening in the life of Nathan Hindmarsh of late. I followed up my trip to Rwanda with a family holiday to Bali and then, once I got home, I found the club with a new head coach in my former SG Ball mentor Daniel Anderson. Also I should mention Bonnie and I are expecting child number three in February.
Bonnie is handling the pregnancy like a trooper and as we expect the arrival of our new baby I welcome anyone who has a name suggestion to make one here on the blog for a boy or a girl.
Archie wants a baby sister, but personally I would like another baby boy, as I reckon I have boys under control now, but it will be a welcome surprise either way.
I thought Rwanda was amazing and some of the experiences there were unforgettable. The local lager wasn’t too bad either.
A huge highlight was trekking in the forests with gorillas. To get as close as we did to those majestic animals was a truly amazing experience and something most people never get to do.
The closest we got to a gorilla was about three metres away from a young one. For the most part the Gorillas were around 10 metres away, playing and eating. There were three silverbacks in the family and of those the dominant male was a lot bigger than the rest.
I don’t think any of us wanted to tackle him!
Aside from the scenic trek into the mountains there actually was work to be done helping out the local kids and we felt a real sense of achievement bringing joy to underprivileged kids in a third world country.
Just getting to kick a soccer ball with them and seeing them run around after it brought a huge smile to all our faces.
The sad part for me and the part which really hit home was venturing to the ‘Genocide Museum’. It’s not a nice place to see, especially the room full of baby photos and then hearing some people recalling the event. No one should ever have to experience the murder of their children, but as a parent the experience really struck a chord with me.
Overall I enjoyed my African adventure and was happy to help some people less fortunate than me. We’re actually thinking of going back to Rwanda next year.
After Rwanda I flew to Perth and then on to Bali for some family time, but after getting sunburnt on the first day of the holiday I was a bit sore for the remainder.
Even the pools didn’t cool me down. It was so hot there that the pool temperature was warm and I was struggling. I didn’t even have too many Bintangs. The only time I really got to the bar was with Bonnie’s dad.
We spent it watching the races, not that I went any good over the Spring Carnival and I don’t think many people can claim they did, except for JB Cummings.
Now the holidays are over and I’m back in training. Well, sort of. I had surgery on my toe and am not doing any running as yet, just gym work and conditioning.
Our new coach, Daniel Anderson, wants me to remain at or under 102 kilograms for the entire season, which will be a challenge for me. I haven’t played under that weight for a long time.
I think having Daniel there will be good for the club. He makes a point of getting involved at coaching sessions and a few of the boys had him as coach during his last stint at Parramatta.
I had Daniel when I was playing SG Ball, Eric Grothe had him in Harold Matthews Cup and Luke Burt played reserve grade under him.
I knew about a month before the official announcement that Michael Hagan would be leaving. He gave me a call said “Hindy my wife and I have our two daughters at an important stage of high school and my heart’s not in it (coaching) anymore.” I then gave Hages my best; he did what he had to do.
Continuing along the Parramatta train of thought and I thought I would discuss the current board battle. As far as I am concerned Dennis Fitzgerald has not done anything wrong.
Dennis runs the administration side of the club and doesn’t interfere with the actual playing side of things. So I don’t have a problem with Dennis Fitzgerald staying put as CEO.
The man who has been buzzing at the club is my old buddy Nathan Cayless. The big fella has a real pep in his step since the Kiwis lifted the World Cup trophy and I still can’t believe it.
I’ve never seen Cayless happier, but I went to the game expecting to see the Aussie boys win and then the unthinkable happened, New Zealand won.
A lot of people have given Wayne Bennett a lot of credit but Steven Kearney is pretty cagey as well and I would say he had a lot to do with the NZ triumph.
As for Cayless, I would hope he would be even chirpier after a Parramatta premiership.
Christmas is fast approaching and I’m getting the lights set up. Archie now knows who Santa is and is fully expecting the man in the red suit to bring him a swag of Thomas the Tank Engine toys. He’ll have to be a good boy though, as will Buster.
Kids really make Christmas special and spending the day with them makes me feel like a kid again.
Hindy

Nikki

Coach
PG!!! Write into the club!!! Recommend the name ROXY!!!! BWaahahahahahahahahahahaha!!

Tin Man 4.24

Juniors
As far as I am concerned Dennis Fitzgerald has not done anything wrong.
Dennis runs the administration side of the club and doesn’t interfere with the actual playing side of things. So I don’t have a problem with Dennis Fitzgerald staying put as CEO
Are the same people who took a swipe the truckie guy for misspelling 'Denis', now going to give it to Hindy for doing the same thing?

Latest posts