What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ho Hum II

Most Annoying Poster?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

doyen

Bench
doyen lol i remember the doubles well how about that wow that rattled my brain for a moment,hey do you remember i think it was against stgeorge and someone let a white rabbit loose on the scg or was it against balmain when dennis tutty played that day?

I do remember the rabbit being let loose but I wasn't there--I had been banished to some remote corner of NSW----when you got a goalkicker in the double;or better still the kickers from both teams you felt you had a real chance to win the prize!! I don't think I ever won the dough though!
We used to climb onto the toilet at the end of Redfern Oval to get a top view.

Only the fairly well to do could afford to sit in that tiny grandstand--my crew were always on the hill!!

I remember a game against Manly at Redfern---in the last minute of the game[Sths were behind on points]-[Fulton??] threw a cutout pass to his winger right on our line. After doing some research I don't believe it was Fulton. It was probably Graeme EADIE!

Michael Pobjie took a beautiful intercept & ran a 100 yards to plant the ball under the post.
The crowd went bonkers--the crowd was dancing in the streets& I walked all the way to Botany with all the locals in an ecstatic mood!!!

Last edited:

foreverinourshadow

First Grade
doyen i use to always sit on the hill at redfern as a kid and i was there that day when mp intercepted that try what a pearler it was i did my schooling way south of sydney in a small country town.

foreverinourshadow

First Grade
well doyen im sure over those decades ive seen your face and sat near you possibly thru those great days gone by,i also remember in 1963 playing newtown at henson park watching the great les johns play our boys i think kevin longbottom may well had taken simmsy's spot that day simmsy might have played for australia at that time?i use to love kevvy slotting em over from half way even when the ball was water logged lol

doyen

Bench
doyen i use to always sit on the hill at redfern as a kid and i was there that day when mp intercepted that try what a pearler it was i did my schooling way south of sydney in a small country town.

I don't think the player who threw the pass for Pobjie was Fulton as their careers didn't overlap[I did some research]--but I'm pretty sure it was Manly--Sths were always elated to knock Manly off!!

foreverinourshadow

First Grade
i just remembered that a man use to hide his pet rabbit under his old pork pie hat to get his pet rabbit into the games do you remember him it mostly happened at the scg as i was a kid.hows that for a remembrance down old memory lane doyen?

doyen

Bench
well doyen im sure over those decades ive seen your face and sat near you possibly thru those great days gone by,i also remember in 1963 playing newtown at henson park watching the great les johns play our boys i think kevin longbottom may well had taken simmsy's spot that day simmsy might have played for australia at that time?i use to love kevvy slotting em over from half way even when the ball was water logged lol
Lummy attempted goals from 70 ms out with the old leather brick--toepoke style,& often kicked them!

He was a top golfer too but made a name caddying for the pros--Bruce DEVLIN was one!

Poor bloke died of cancer at 46.

doyen

Bench
i just remembered that a man use to hide his pet rabbit under his old pork pie hat to get his pet rabbit into the games do you remember him it mostly happened at the scg as i was a kid.hows that for a remembrance down old memory lane doyen?

Look,TBH,I get really sentimental now about those days & occasionally emotional!!

We followed some magnificent teams in those early days.

Things were so,so different!!

Usually we had an adult with us at games but sometimes,even as 12 yr olds,my mates & I would jump on the tram from Botany to Redfern,unsupervised.

And a lot of the time we were fair little buggers too! Walking around on the sideboard of the tram while it was flying along with the conductor yelling at us to get back inside.

We often managed to get into games free by climbing,or burrowing under fences--sometimes we would just cry poor & the man on the gate let us in.

foreverinourshadow

First Grade
jumped a fence or two ol mate we are a bit like twins in those days lol those were the greatest memories of our little lives back then its been a pleasure doyen re dreaming our younger years and dont forget the trains were free in our day lol

foreverinourshadow

First Grade
i remember at central railway catching the midnight mail train heading south after sucking on a hot chocolate from those old push button machines after coming back from the wrestling at the hordern pavilion watching spiros arion,larry o'dea ron miller,killer kowalski,brute bernard,george barnes,hay stacks calhoun,tex mckenzie,chief billy white wolf,brower power,gee i use to go there as a baby to watch the roller game with the tbirds vs the hawks, ralphie volendares was a crowd favorite ha ha ha im bringing back the good years there doyen

foreverinourshadow

First Grade
those were the days alien especially at grand final day those days really went down well.i wonder if doyen remembers the day when they ran out of number cards on the score board at the scg?and the clock stopped short of full time a number of times over the years?so no one knew when the game was supposed to end gee they were the good ol days lol they had character.

alien

Referee
those were the days alien especially at grand final day those days really went down well.i wonder if doyen remembers the day when they ran out of number cards on the score board at the scg?and the clock stopped short of full time a number of times over the years?so no one knew when the game was supposed to end gee they were the good ol days lol they had character.

well i was at one of the rabbitohs' most memorable premierships :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.