What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'Homesick' Ben Hannant may quit Bulldogs

renouf

Juniors
I'm sick of Queenslanders and their 'homesickness'. What's there to go 'home' to anyway?

Anyway - he came back to NSW - was he 'away' sick then?

I know blokes who work in mines for a fifth of his money away from home. Make the most of it!

His family lives up and here and he has a young family.. parents are always people you want close while your bringing up kids. He was foolish to move to sydney,.. but of course he was chasing the big bucks.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
His family lives up and here and he has a young family.. parents are always people you want close while your bringing up kids. He was foolish to move to sydney,.. but of course he was chasing the big bucks.

Oh FFS! Its a 60 minute flight.

Don't mormons belive in catching planes?

gronkathon

First Grade
People seem tounderestimate the emphasis of close family bonds that the Mormons have.

It's not an excuse but if the Dogs and Hannant work it out between themselves than there isn't a problem

adamkungl

Immortal
Wonder which Sydney club will be the next to sign him on bick bucks, only to lose him to "homesickness" again

The Colonel

Immortal
People seem tounderestimate the emphasis of close family bonds that the Mormons have.

It's not an excuse but if the Dogs and Hannant work it out between themselves than there isn't a problem

He had problems with homesickness when he was at the Roosters yet he still chose to chase the money and come to the Bulldogs for three seasons. I don't underestimate the family bond that a Mormon or any religion or ethnic background a person may come from. My problem lies in the fact that a contract is no longer worth the piece of paper it is written on when they can just decide that they can 'negotiate' to end it.

Sure the Bulldogs may be compensated with a player or two but that worked really well for the Titans when Turner decided he didn't want to go either..... anyone tell me how the first grade careers of Smith Samau and Daniel Isaac are going?

He signed a three year deal and he should finish the three year deal. If his family are homesick send them back to the farm and jump on a plane once a week and visit them.

Craig Bellamy seems to be able to do alright doing the same thing and the flight from Melbourne is twice as long.

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
He had problems with homesickness when he was at the Roosters yet he still chose to chase the money and come to the Bulldogs for three seasons. I don't underestimate the family bond that a Mormon or any religion or ethnic background a person may come from. My problem lies in the fact that a contract is no longer worth the piece of paper it is written on when they can just decide that they can 'negotiate' to end it.

Sure the Bulldogs may be compensated with a player or two but that worked really well for the Titans when Turner decided he didn't want to go either..... anyone tell me how the first grade careers of Smith Samau and Daniel Isaac are going?

He signed a three year deal and he should finish the three year deal. If his family are homesick send them back to the farm and jump on a plane once a week and visit them.

Craig Bellamy seems to be able to do alright doing the same thing and the flight from Melbourne is twice as long.

What??? thats the most ridiculous thing ive ever heard.

At the end of the day he isnt playing league to live, this is just a sport...family always comes first and anyone who thinks that the solution to this all is what you have written is in denial.

Circumstances change and thats just something you and the rest of the people complaining about how maroons complain about being homesick. Deal with it.

The Colonel

Immortal

At the end of the day he isnt playing league to live, this is just a sport...family always comes first and anyone who thinks that the solution to this all is what you have written is in denial.

Circumstances change and thats just something you and the rest of the people complaining about how maroons complain about being homesick. Deal with it.

Gee, he must have a hard life. At least he has the $350,000 contract that allows him to afford to travel.

As for denial - I lived in Sydney for eighteen months and my family were a seven hour car trip away. I saw my family once every ten weeks when they came home for school holidays. My two children at that stage were 1 and 4. It was a choice that my wife and I made but we lived through it.

Circumstances change but I'm sure if the shoe was on the other foot and the Dogs were trying to do Hannant out of the last year of his contract we'd have a thread twice as long whinging about how they treat it like a business.

He chose to sign a three year deal on the back of having lived in and having left Sydney due to homesickness.If he is so homesick maybe he should retire and go and get a real job.

adamkungl

Immortal

lol, piss off! He got homesick once, yet chose to come back to Sydney. Now he's homesick again, surprise! At least that wanker Hodges stayed put after he went running back home

Noa

First Grade
In the article in the papers today he says it was an issue that he discussed with the Bulldogs before he signed, hence why I think theyre being so accomodating.

Packy

Bench
As a Dogs fan it is quite sad.

The only resolution I can see is that he sees out the year with us with a release to go back to Brisbane or teh GC. Compensation can be discussed and whether it be financial, player swap or both I don't really care.

He can make preparations to get his family settled and even move them this year if required. Then at the end of the season he can ride his bike up the hill to QLD and we all move on.

johns_reds

First Grade

Contracts get renegotiated all the time between employers and employees, not sure why NRL should be any different, at the end of the day it is only a job and if a player and club can come to an agreement over the contract then that is thier business.

Evenflow

Bench
As apposed to having your family around the corner.. yeah I can just see him wanting to fly back and forth to have the parents mind the kids. Clueless..

FFS it's not like all of a sudden he signed a contract with the Dogs to move to Sydney then only found out later he wouldn't have his family close to him :crazy:

He knew damn well what he was getting himself into, especially given he has form for "homesickness" in the past so don't give me this whole "as opposed to having your family around the corner sh*t" He knew that would be the case and if he didn't want to be away from them he shouldn't have signed for the big dollars.

I'm sure some will bring the mormon angle into it and say it wasn't about the money but it clearly was, why else would he relocate interstate once again away from his family if their wasn't a big fat carrot dangling in front of him in the form of cash? The most ridiculous thing to come out of his gob was "Living in Sydney I'd have to say I'm not a big fan of" Ummm hellloooo! Couldn't you work that out the first time you lived there?

Noa

First Grade
Why the f**k are people getting worked up over something that is an AMICABLE discussion between 2 parties.

And why the f**k do these same people not get as worked up when clubs continually move players on before there contracts are over.