What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'Homesick' Ben Hannant may quit Bulldogs

Twigg

Juniors
http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=1029141

Gold Coast speak with Hannant's manager
By David Beniuk
20:19 AEST Thu Mar 18 2010

Gold Coast have fielded an enquiry from Canterbury prop Ben Hannant's manager after the homesick Test star asked for a release from his contract to return to Queensland.

Hannant is tied to the Bulldogs until the end of the 2011 NRL season but his young family are struggling with life away from their home state.
"His family and he are struggling a little bit with life in Sydney and so we've opened some discussion about a potential early release for Ben," Canterbury CEO Todd Greenberg told the Nine Network on Thursday.
"We're not going to get the best out of him on the field and we're being realistic about that."

The 25-year-old former Brisbane forward has three children, the youngest born last year.

Nine said Hannant's family was finding it difficult being away from extended family.

Greenberg said the terms of any release would only allow the Test front-rower to return to the Broncos or link with the Titans.

"These discussions have been premised on the fact that he wants to return home, which is the Gold Coast, we're very understanding of that," Greenberg said.

"It's a tough one because there's still a bit of work to do.
"Fundamentally I have to stand up for the club to start with and make sure we're not worse off."

That could mean Canterbury seeking a player swap, the report said.
Titans boss Michael Searle said he had taken a call from Hannant's manager but his club would find it almost impossible to fit him under the salary cap in 2010.

"I'd have to get more information before I went down that path but I would think it would be very difficult," he told AAP.

"Even with a player swap it would be hard."

Searle said he had been under the impression that Hannant was not available until next year.

"We've always said from a club point of view that we see our club as a vehicle to bring young Queenslanders home," he said of that possibility.
"We've had a very brief chat with his manager today and we'll see how it plays out.

"It would be a lot easier for us to do it in 2012."

The loss of forward leader Hannant would be a huge blow to the Bulldogs after he was a key figure in their remarkable 2009 season turnaround.
The Titans have several formerly NSW-based forwards who the Dogs may try to entice home, although the tourist strip has proved popular with players.

Mark Minichiello, Anthony Laffranchi, Luke Bailey, Michael Henderson and Matt White are all New South Welshman currently on the Titans' books, but none is a front-rower in Hannant's class.

Brisbane have former St George Illawarra pair Ashton Sims and Lagi Setu contracted to the as well as former Wests Tigers forward Ben Te'o.

Brisbane officials did not immediately return AAP's call.

Last edited:

Shorty

Staff member
I'm sick of Queenslanders and their 'homesickness'. What's there to go 'home' to anyway?

Anyway - he came back to NSW - was he 'away' sick then?

I know blokes who work in mines for a fifth of his money away from home. Make the most of it!

On the money he's on, hire a f**king nanny. He's not some poor schlep doing a nine to five and struggling to pay the ridiculous prices of child care.

What is it with Queenslanders and getting homesick? fair dinkum, I get homesick when I get to Queensland, but that's because it's a boring sh*thole.
Um...last time I checked being homesick wasn't exclusive to Queenslanders.
In fact, Luke O'Donnell may be returning to Sydney because he's homesick.
You Blues' supporters will use anything won't you? Grasping at straws much.

I don't see how it's anybody elses' business bar Hannant and The Bulldogs.
I'm sure you same blokes turn your nose up at gossip magazines and then turn around to think you have the right to tell someone who misses their family to harden up.

Johns Magic

Referee
How has that got to do with anything?:?

There is a big difference between your home being a factor in where you sign your next contract, and crying and going back on your word in the middle of one.

LOD is a man, he will wait til he sees out his contract and then make a decision. He is not so pissweak that he would stab his club in the back.

If you can't see the difference between liking your home and being unable to be away from it, and these two different situations, you need to have a good think.

Rocco

Juniors
hannant should have never left us...

he ended his career by joining the bulltards

i would love to see him back at the club

Shorty

Staff member
If you can't see the difference between liking your home and being unable to be away from it, and these two different situations, you need to have a good think.
I was responding to people saying this is Queensland exclusive, in which it's not.
It's about homesickness, not breaking contract, in which I gave an example of Luke being homesick and wanting to return to NSW.
Izzy didn't break his contract either.

ByRd

First Grade
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...all-the-tune-on-pay-packet-20100319-qm6v.html

Homesick Hannant believes he can call the tune on pay packet

March 20, 2010
AFTER being squeezed out of two clubs because of the salary cap, Ben Hannant says he is finally in a position to return home to one of south-east Queensland's two NRL sides on the income he deserves. The Canterbury prop, who has asked the Bulldogs to consider an early release from his contract so he can return to the Gold Coast and play for either the Titans or Broncos, was previously let go by Sydney Roosters and Brisbane because they could not fit him under their cap.
''Now I've cemented myself as a first-grade footy player, clubs want you at the top of their cap,'' Hannant told the Herald. ''They see you as a marquee player. I don't have to worry about, 'Oh, we can't keep you because of the salary cap'. You're one of the five or six people they build a team around. That's where I think I am at the moment.''
Hannant, whose contract at the Bulldogs is due to expire at the end of 2011, would ideally like to play for the Titans. Their Runaway Bay training base is not far from his farm at Tallebudgera, on which he and his parents both have houses. The Titans, along with the Broncos, have expressed interest in signing Hannant should he be released, but never before has the Gold Coast club been in a position to pay Hannant his value.
''The big thing when they first came in was signing their marquee players,'' Hannant said of the Titans.
''It's always been whenever I've come off contract they've had no money in their cap. I've got a family to support. I've only got 10 years in the game - as it is I'd say we are underpaid, footy players, for what we put our bodies through. You've got to make the most of it.''
The 25-year-old, who has three children with wife Emma, is a strong advocate of putting family first despite his love for the game. To that end he believes players should be paid more given what they physically endure.
''Even though it makes the competition a lot more even, which is good, we haven't had a pay rise since Super League. We've gone backwards and the game is growing. You look at the injuries from round one. They're injuries people are going to have for the rest of their lives.''
Hannant says his primary motivation when deciding his future will not be cash. ''It's got everything to do with what suits the family,'' he said.

ByRd

First Grade
I am quickly losing respect for Hannant, some of those comments are very disappointing.

Charlie124

First Grade
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...all-the-tune-on-pay-packet-20100319-qm6v.html

Homesick Hannant believes he can call the tune on pay packet

March 20, 2010
AFTER being squeezed out of two clubs because of the salary cap, Ben Hannant says he is finally in a position to return home to one of south-east Queensland's two NRL sides on the income he deserves. The Canterbury prop, who has asked the Bulldogs to consider an early release from his contract so he can return to the Gold Coast and play for either the Titans or Broncos, was previously let go by Sydney Roosters and Brisbane because they could not fit him under their cap.
''Now I've cemented myself as a first-grade footy player, clubs want you at the top of their cap,'' Hannant told the Herald. ''They see you as a marquee player. I don't have to worry about, 'Oh, we can't keep you because of the salary cap'. You're one of the five or six people they build a team around. That's where I think I am at the moment.''
Hannant, whose contract at the Bulldogs is due to expire at the end of 2011, would ideally like to play for the Titans. Their Runaway Bay training base is not far from his farm at Tallebudgera, on which he and his parents both have houses. The Titans, along with the Broncos, have expressed interest in signing Hannant should he be released, but never before has the Gold Coast club been in a position to pay Hannant his value.
''The big thing when they first came in was signing their marquee players,'' Hannant said of the Titans.
''It's always been whenever I've come off contract they've had no money in their cap. I've got a family to support. I've only got 10 years in the game - as it is I'd say we are underpaid, footy players, for what we put our bodies through. You've got to make the most of it.''
The 25-year-old, who has three children with wife Emma, is a strong advocate of putting family first despite his love for the game. To that end he believes players should be paid more given what they physically endure.
''Even though it makes the competition a lot more even, which is good, we haven't had a pay rise since Super League. We've gone backwards and the game is growing. You look at the injuries from round one. They're injuries people are going to have for the rest of their lives.''
Hannant says his primary motivation when deciding his future will not be cash. ''It's got everything to do with what suits the family,'' he said.

And i bet sh*tloads more money suits the family just fine.

Schiltzenberger

Juniors
If the Broncos and Titans can only manage $50k/year offers due to the salary cap, then I'm sure he'll overcome his homesickness.

HTFU princess.

clarency

Juniors
Perhaps it's worth suggesting that the spread of the teams across Australia may fix this "players are no longer loyal" business... I mean if they get homesick perhaps they'll stick to the team that's in the area they prefer.

Ok...

Resume thread.

Loudstrat

Coach
mate its something in the water, i dont know a single QLD who doesnt rave about the place and wish they could be back there, for the life of me i cant figure it out, i've been there, sydney, canberra and melbourne it'd rank dead f**king last on that list... yes, worse than canberra

i cant stand the place but QLDers dont ever want to leave
Rubbish. Arthur Beetson took 30 years to return. Read his book - he loved Sydney. There are others - Rocket Reddy has been everywhere but QLD

I'm sure you same blokes turn your nose up at gossip magazines and then turn around to think you have the right to tell someone who misses their family to harden up.
The fact that O'Donnell is waiting to fulfil his contract has already been metioned. The fact that he's been up there for a heck of a long time hasnt.

The link to Folau is not as strong as the link to Scott Prince, who moved to be closer to his family, but in terms of travelling time, is actually further away. In Folau's defence - he saw out his contract, and he was only 19 at the time.

This is a lose-lose situation for the Dogs, who won't get a player of his calibre (unless they get Prince) to replace him. And the mormon thing is a crap excuse too - because they go OS on missions for 2 years.

AFTER being squeezed out of two clubs because of the salary cap, Ben Hannant says he is finally in a position to return home to one of south-east Queensland's two NRL sides on the income he deserves.

So the Titans have a word in his ear, and all of a sudden he's homesick? What a bullsh*t excuse! This sails dangerously close to the edge of contract credibility - and I reckon Gallop should look into this. The only difference between him and SBW is that Hannent at least has sought permission. However, where is the ethics of a club (Titans) seemingly undermining the Dogs to influence a player to not honour his contract?

drake

First Grade

Shorty, I had one wife up and leave with my daughters to Byron, and the next one went chasing a bloke up to Brisbane taking my sons with her. I know all about missing family. Missing mummy and daddy is a bit much from a grown man.

Luke O'Donnell has been stuck in Bumf**k Nowhere, QLD for a good part of a decade. He's going to see out his contract and return to civilisation. Hannant hasn't even fulfilled one contract.

This is just a cop out; he's playing up the 'fast paced' Sydney life as an excuse to get paid sweet cash to play near home. Don't sign a mid to long range contract in another state if you're not sure whether you'll like it or not.

It's the business of all RL fans, and most especially Bulldogs fans whether or not he shafts his club. I can't stand the B'ogs, but empathise with them losing a player to another club mid contract, and seeing the excuses. Why not say the NSW daylight savings is fading his curtains and confusing his cows? Let him go back to Gold Coast and sit out the rest of his contract.

I think League fans in general are sick of seeing players slide from contracts because of a certain tear jerking reason, to see them turn up playing for more at another club.