What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hooker exchange mars NRL final

Dragonheart

Juniors
A real shame if this is true.

A lot of things are said in the heat of the moment.

If, and I do mean 'IF', Dean Young said something like what is reported then a quiet apology to Farrah is all that is required. The media needs to keep their nose out of it and stop trying to sensationalise something that could detract from what lies ahead for both teams.

LazyDreamer

Bench
The best outcome is Farah misheard him, and he called Farah a f**king dog. :sarcasm:

^This^

Mouthguard, 70k screaming fans...maybe he said "fuddy dud". Hell, according to a piece Peter Berner used to do, it worked when a fumbleball player was accused of calling an Aboriginal opponent a 'dark merkin'. At his hearing, he claimed he'd actually said 'dumb merkin' but his mouthguard hampered his annunciation. So in an OJ+gloves moment, they got him to put in his mouthguard & say both phrases, which both came out as 'duh merkin'. Result: Exonerated!

And Roogbyhighlights: Go easy on we Aussies. Afterall, (to quote Mark Renton) we were colonised by wankers.

But stuff all that. Bring on Sunday! My pick: The Creaghzy Train to win the Clive Churchill medal.

LazyDreamer

Bench
I think the Gallen-Paea episode demonstrated that whether the aggrieved player wants to follow through or not is immaterial.

cleary89

Coach
Smith’s knees in the back of Tuqiri, forcing him off, was a bone of contention at fulltime. “It’s part of footy, isn’t it?” referee Shayne Hayne said at the time. “It was when I played.’’
Love that.

DirtyHarry

Juniors
There's racism in other countries, but no country is as accepting of racism and bigotry as Australia is.

I don't live in Australia and personally wouldn't want to. From all my experiences its a backwards place that's rife with nationalism, bigotry and racism.

I've been there on several occasions with mates and all we've copped is blatant racist and bigoted garbage.

Scientists who want to perfect the art of time travel should start by visiting some Australian states.

f**king disgrace it is.

Hey d!ckhead, are you old enough to remember Southall, Toxteth, & Brixton. What about the National Front & British Movement.

When John Barnes signed for Liverpool they were called n****rpool. I stood on the terraces as a kid & everytime a black player touched the ball the crowd made monkey noises - even for their own players. It's not that long ago.

How well have the Paki's intergrated into Northern towns?

Racism is alive & well in Britain.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
It's still a racist term though right? I mean Young wouldn't call Paul Gallen a Mediterranean Descendant. Unless I'm way off

Yes they are, but in England Mediterranean Descendant is a fairly strong slur for a black person. In Australia Mediterranean Descendant is slur towards people who look sorta olive and its not nearly as strong.

Like I said there should be no place for it on the field but to your ears the word Mediterranean Descendant is a lot stronger than these guys. That is why they think you are overreacting a bit.

boo_boo

Juniors
If this forum reinstates one thing it's that Australians live up to the international stereotypes of being racists and bigots

You're all scumbags. Repulsive excuse for human beings. Should be ashamed of yourself.

I disagree with what your saying as i'm an Australian & i am NOT a racist or a bigot.
Plenty of people from other nationalities refer to Australians as 'Skippy's' so is that any different ?

he did indeed call Farah a "f**king Mediterranean Descendant", I would be very disappointed in him (I mentioned this in my post above). There is no need to even go there on a footy field. Regardless of how strong/weak a racist remark is, the fact of the matter is that it's still racist.

He could make the same point without resorting to racist means by telling Farah he's an ugly merkin with a hooknose and a seedy monobrow.

My point was just that if Gallen didn't get suspended for something which is clearly far worse than this one, Young wouldn't get suspended either.

You don't have access to the Jubilee Avenue sub-forum -- I'm known on there as a very staunch anti-racist!

how was it far worse?

because it was gallen?

because the other guy was more black?

because a high and mighty st george player would never resort to such slurs and its all a big conspiracy from the telegraph?

because dean young has "lebanese" mates?

or because it was gallen?

emack

Juniors
........ps, I was going to tell you the Chargers suck...........but the Cowboys are 0-2 so I've got nowhere to go on that one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:roll:

DirtyHarry

Juniors
What about ranga merkin? where does that fit onto the abuse scale?

What if you were a ranga Mediterranean Descendant, now that would be a double whammy.

The Chef

Juniors
Honestly whats the big deal. Sledging is always going to be a part of the game whether its about race, religion or your mum, sister, wife gf etc. If Farrar wasn't going to make an official complaint then don't say anything at all in the first place. Oh I guess I'm not going to get a penalty out of if so I'll STFU.

Terms like Mediterranean Descendant, gentleman etc are only OK to use if you are Chris Rock or Nick Giannopoulos and make money out of it. Can't have it both ways.

FFS this is a footy forum, get over it.

j0nesy

Bench
I'd wager even the Italian rugby team has more spark than the Drag Queens :lol:

Oh come on man, get with the times bro. You can't just go around insulting our teams gender preference. And one more thing- what the f**k is a "cracker"? I'd hazard a guess that most aussies have never heard of it. Methinks you may be a bit of a hypocrite.

Young1

Juniors
I take it then the movie Mediterranean Descendant boy should be removed from the shelves
come on its not a racial slur...my best mate is a greek and he refers to his Family as Mediterranean Descendants
Mediterranean Descendants
Poms
Skippys
is nothing like YOU BLACK C8nt aka Andrew Johns

I call my best mate a Mediterranean Descendant all the time but would trade him for any Aussie
this is not a racial word

mighty v

Juniors
This new generation are seriously soft as ..

Im off Greek background and been called a f## Mediterranean Descendant thousands of times growing up,thru school and further ..If i got offended every time it was said id be locked up..

I responded by laughing most of the time ,saying yup im a Mediterranean Descendant and proud of it ,and at times responded by skip,convict,etc ...so what !!

People seriously need to get a life ,and get some sort of thick skin cause if your gonna get upset over small insignificant stuff like this ,then you will have no chance of what LIFE throws at ya ..

Farrah should go cry over his cereal ..

In saying all that

GO YOU MIGHTY DRAGONS

dragonfan1

Juniors
Hey everyone, no need to discuss anymore:
http://www.nrl.com/news/news/newsar...409/young-cleared-of-racial-slur/default.aspx

t George Illawarra hooker Dean Young has escaped sanction over an alleged racial comment and is free to play in next week's NRL grand final.On-field audio failed to pick up comments made during the altercation between Young and Wests Tigers skipper Robbie Farah in Saturday night's preliminary final, so the NRL match review committee were left with little option on Sunday but to clear the Dragons No.9 when the Tigers declined to make an official complaint.
Farah declined two opportunities to make a complaint to on-field referee Ben Cummins, but could be heard accusing Young at a scrum minutes later of calling him a "f***ing Mediterranean Descendant".
"The on-field audio provided no evidence to confirm if any comment had been made," the match review committee said in a statement.
"The on-field audio does contain an accusation from Farah and a denial from the St George Illawarra player.
"The Wests Tigers have today declined a request to provide any further information that may assist the match review committee.
"Having assessed all the available information, the match review committee does not believe there is sufficient evidence to warrant a charge."
There was good news too for two other grand final combatants.
Sydney Roosters playmaker Todd Carney and Dragons lock Jeremy Smith were both charged with grade one offences but were declared free to play in the decider after lodging early guilty pleas.
Carney's was a careless high tackle charge for a hit on Gold Coast skipper Scott Prince.
Smith was charged with making dangerous contact with his knees in an incident which left Tigers winger Lote Tuqiri with suspected broken ribs.

Latest posts