What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Houston to Newcastle?

borat

Bench
http://groups.msn.com/WorldofRugbyLeague/dragons.msnw?action=get_message&mview=0&ID_Message=577512&LastModified=4675627791776953733

In regards to Wicks and Houston, I can say that Newcastle are offering pretty decent monies for these 2.

Wicks has signed for close to $250k a season, not bad for a guy who is in only his 2nd season of 1st grade. I dont think the club minds losing him, and they werent looking to sign him.
Houston on the other hand the club did want to keep, but we couldnt compete with the 500k over 3 seasons offered from the Knights, as above a decent offer for a guy with 7 games of 1st grade under his belt. To be honest he will be a solid 1st grader, I doubt he wll be much more, now that he is leaving Saints I hope this to be the case anyway.

Croker will NOT be playing for the Dragons next year! Fact!

Sorry Macavity, hope Wicks plays a little better for the Knights than what he has for the Dragons for the 250K your spending.

Godz Illa

Coach
lol We should believe you instead? That particular poster on WORL has a long track record of accuracy in terms of inside knowledge. You didn't even know Houston was cmoing to your mob.

borat

Bench
Godz Illa said:
lol We should believe you instead? That particular poster on WORL has a long track record of accuracy in terms of inside knowledge. You didn't even know Houston was cmoing to your mob.

The Houston rumour had been doing the rounds up here in Newcastle for weeks.

TBH if the Knights were paying Wicks 250K or $2.50, either wayI am happy to see the back of Wicks.

macavity

Referee
im not the one claiming concrete figures

all im saying is that no one would be stupid enough to pay 250k for a fat first grader

particularly not the one coach that has (Morrison and Riddel notwithstanding) always seemed to pay unders and turn nobodies into stars.

Father Ted

First Grade
macavity said:
im not the one claiming concrete figures

all im saying is that no one would be stupid enough to pay 250k for a fat first grader

particularly not the one coach that has (Morrison and Riddel notwithstanding) always seemed to pay unders and turn nobodies into stars.

Yeah I think 250k is a bit hard to believe myself .

borat

Bench
Father Ted said:
Yeah I think 250k is a bit hard to believe myself .

IMO its just a reflection on the lack of quality front rowers in the comp. With the GC added this year and the drain of players to the UK, props are spread pretty thinly across the clubs and their values have shot up ala O'meley, Ryles and Petro. The dogs also wanted him which probably helped drive up his contract.

Father Ted

First Grade
borat said:
IMO its just a reflection on the lack of quality front rowers in the comp. With the GC added this year and the drain of players to the UK, props are spread pretty thinly across the clubs and their values have shot up ala O'meley, Ryles and Petro. The dogs also wanted him which probably helped drive up his contract.

If that is right then why were Canterbury and the Broncos willing to let go two of the best ? I think the game is in a buyers market at the moment with players flying all over the place .

borat

Bench
Father Ted said:
If that is right then why were Canterbury and the Broncos willing to let go two of the best ? I think the game is in a buyers market at the moment with players flying all over the place .

They let them go because their values shot through the roof and they couldn't afford them any longer. That is well known, Bruno Cullen has been saying it all week and even Steve Folkes advised Shrek he would be mad not to take such a fantastic deal.

Father Ted

First Grade
borat said:
They let them go because their values shot through the roof and they couldn't afford them any longer. That is well known, Bruno Cullen has been saying it all week and even Steve Folkes advised Shrek he would be mad not to take such a fantastic deal.

Agree to disagree . I think there are always a few spare props floating around Ben Ross comes to mind .

borat

Bench
Father Ted said:
Agree to disagree . I think there are always a few spare props floating around Ben Ross comes to mind .

Ahh Ben Ross, another of the 400K prop club, I rest my case. If ben Ross can get a 400K contract then Wicks is in good company with 250K

Father Ted

First Grade
borat said:
Ahh Ben Ross, another of the 400K prop club, I rest my case. If ben Ross can get a 400K contract then Wicks is in good companty with 250K

$400k for Ross B*llsh*t I don't belive that for a second .

borat

Bench
Father Ted, we are talking about the Sharks here, sanity does not apply.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,21878421-5001023,00.html

BEN Ross has held urgent talks with Sharks coach Ricky Stuart fearing his career at Cronulla is over.
The development emerged yesterday following a horror month for the Cronulla prop that included:
*Losing 9kg in two weeks from a serious illness to be the lightest he's been in almost 10 years
*Being overlooked by Queensland Origin selectors
* Rumours he's unwanted in the Shire
* Having his $60,000 utility stolen.
Amid claims his $400,000-a-year contract could be torn up

Father Ted

First Grade
Godz Illa said:
Just about any Cronulla supporter will tell you.

Then there's the reason they will never win a comp thats so stupid that I actually cannot grasp it . They ought to have an office around here . Nah I still can't believe that . You could get three juniors or two has beens back from England for that . You could have bought P.C off the broncos for that . Final proof that the sharks are the biggest losers the rugby league world has ever known .

Godz Illa

Coach
For props it's definitely a seller's market, even Justin Poore was sought after last year - I kid you not. The club did well to keep Ryles and lock up Dan Hunt as well.

borat

Bench
Godz Illa said:
For props it's definitely a seller's market, even Justin Poore was sought after last year - I kid you not. The club did well to keep Ryles and lock up Dan Hunt as well.

Thats why I don't doubt that Wicks is on 250K when you consider that the Dogs chased so hard for his signature that they were sure he was coming to Bankstown. Both the Dogs & Knights were desperate for props.

Father Ted

First Grade
Godz Illa said:

Proves that we are the second most stupid club in footy letting so many go then .