What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Houston to Newcastle?

borat

Bench
Losing Houston hurts I must say, but as has been posted we have a glut of quality backrowers but not much in the way of Front rowers. I can't ever see Houston becoming a damaging front rower.

The inetersting point here is that Newcastle have plenty of backrowers themselves and not many props.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Godz Illa said:
Hunt re-signed in April, and I'm pretty sure he is not looking elsewhere.

He did resign.

I got told the other day that there is murmourings he's already looking for a release due to discontent and lack of FG opporunity.

I'm not saying it's right, but where there's smoke...

borat

Bench
IMO Houston wouldn't have made the starting team in a full strength side and maybe not even the bench. That being the case did we want to compete with a cashed up Knights, rumoured to be sitting on a mill to spend.

macavity

Referee
he didnt sign for huge money fellas

wes got 133k a year - and houston got less than that, as did wicks.

we are buying smart for once, and still have around 1/2 a mil to spend....

I think you guys are saving your pennys to pay out brown and doust... :p

seriously, what is going on down there? I have a big soft spot for the steelers, and want to see you do well.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I have to say macavity, that's one of the better attempts at trolling that I've seen of late. Mind you, the competition isn't that fierce.

big pat

Coach
macavity said:

seriously, what is going on down there? I have a big soft spot for the steelers, and want to see you do well.
i've got a soft spot for doust, its called sydney harbour.

macavity

Referee
Willow said:
I have to say macavity, that's one of the better attempts at trolling that I've seen of late. Mind you, the competition isn't that fierce.

not trolling at all.

Houston came up here for the chance to play under a decent coach and he thinks there are more opportunities up here (that one I dont understand as our pack is prob on par or slightly better than yours, esp. the back row).

I dont know what you offered, and we may have offered more, but it certainly wasn't big bikkies.

our one big signing has been Cross on about 300k - the rest have been under 150 or just above (Young McDoogs).

we still have money to spend - although I would hazard that some will be spent on re-signing one or 2 here and a few fringe FGers from elsewhere.

my tip - we will re-sign Perry and/or Abraham, and sign Denan Kemp (bronx)and Zeb Taia (Parra).

Newie is going to have a good squad next year methinks.

Is it true you guys are signing Sailor?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
macavity said:
our one big signing has been Cross on about 300k - the rest have been under 150 or just above (Young McDoogs).

we still have money to spend - although I would hazard that some will be spent on re-signing one or 2 here and a few fringe FGers from elsewhere.

my tip - we will re-sign Perry and/or Abraham, and sign Denan Kemp (bronx)and Zeb Taia (Parra).

Newie is going to have a good squad next year methinks.
Thanks for all that.

Steel Dragon

Bench
Is Houston from Kempsey - or somewhere up that way?

He probably signed with the Knights so he could be closer to there.

macavity

Referee
eerm yeah thanks Willow

an assertion was put out there and I rebutted it, didn't know that was inappropriate...

Houston is from the south coast.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Steel Dragon said:
Is Houston from Kempsey - or somewhere up that way?

He probably signed with the Knights so he could be closer to there.

Narooma. Definitely got nothing to do with being closer to home.

borat

Bench
macavity said:

The mail on WORL is that Wicks on 250K and Houston on 166K. As Wicks was being chased by the dogs and knowing the buying history of the Knights that sounds about right.

Don't know about Wes though but he wasn't required in FG next season

Southernsaint

Staff member
Today's SMH said that DrugCastle offered Houston double what Saints were prepared to offer.

Also, take in to account that the bloke has played 6 or 7 FG games.

Still, I have the nagging feeling that losing him is going to come back and bite us.

borat

Bench
Southernsaint said:
Today's SMH said that DrugCastle offered Houston double what Saints were prepared to offer.

Also, take in to account that the bloke has played 6 or 7 FG games.

Still, I have the nagging feeling that losing him is going to come back and bite us.

Did you also see where Doust says to match Newcastle's offer for Wicks would have put him into our TOP 5 wage earners!!!!! Newcastle have paid massive overs for Wicks and they are welcome to him.