What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How bad is that new Dre song?

abpanther

Staff member
"I need a doctor" I think it's called, I'm a fan of Dre's stuff but I couldn't believe it when I heard it, so lame, just a whole song of Eminem blowing smoke up his ass, I can't believe how bad it is.

Is it just me, does anyone out there like this song?

abpanther

Staff member
I'm just shocked, I mean I expected some thick bass stuff like his old shit, thought with all the time he took that he would come back with something revolutionary.

I didn't really like Kush when it first came out but since it has grown on me and I don't mind it, the beat is pretty good.

But this song is just soooooo shit

Danish

Referee
I like the beat, and the chorus sounds good IMO.

I mean lets get serious here, about 80% of all rap involves a huge amount of "Look at how awesome I am" type lyrics, so its not really that big a shock that the song is 90% eminem blowing him.

I've got it in my running playlist, although tend to skip it whenever it comes on in the car.

azzah72

Bench
I think it's real average but alot of hip hop is these days.

I can't think of a stellar album from a hip hop artist in the last 10 years.

Maybe the cool but that's it.

Although b.o.b, big boi & kanye's album were decent enough.

Lasers i kinda hated at first and then it grew a little on me but none of those albums are awesome or anything.

TiggaPlease

Sean Price - Monkey Bars & Jesus Price Superstar

The Left - Gas Mask

Little Vic - Each Dawn I Die

Saigon & Statik Selektah - All in a Day's Work

Brothaz Bent - Up from the Desert

Just to name a few.

But i know what you mean, the good stuff is few and far between at the moment. Heaps of big names happy to release mediocre shit and get away with it based on their name in the business.

I think it's real average but alot of hip hop is these days.

Maybe the cool but that's it.

Although b.o.b, big boi & kanye's album were decent enough.

Lasers i kinda hated at first and then it grew a little on me but none of those albums are awesome or anything.

mentioning hip hop then kanye west, please GTFO

abpanther

Staff member
I guess I just expected so much more from Dre, for someone who doesn't release music very often, I just thought that song was so lame and soft. I thought he would come back with some realy hard shit, very disappointed

Parra Pride

Referee
I like it, but thats the massive Eminem fan in me talking, would be a different story if 2/3 of the song wasn't Eminem.

I guess I just expected so much more from Dre, for someone who doesn't release music very often, I just thought that song was so lame and soft. I thought he would come back with some realy hard shit, very disappointed

It's basically a crappier version of Forgot About Dre. I got over the hype about Detox a long time ago. Put this garbage against his first singles from The Chronic and 2001:

http://youtu.be/kG_qcud1ShM

The Chronic
http://youtu.be/_qkP8SvHvaU

lol Dre should shelve this shit.

Cliffhanger

Coach
Really?

I mean the 90s produced better hip hop albums no doubt but there's been some brilliant hip hop albums in the last decade.

To name a few:

Canibus - Rip the Jacker
Prodigy - HNIC 2
Sean Price - Monkey Bars
Raekwon - Only Built for Cuban Linx 2
MF Grimm - American Hunger

HowHigh

Coach
Loved 'The Chronic', and '2001' was good also. I'm scared Detox is going ruin my opinion of Dre..If lil wayne or tpain feature on any songs on the album I don't even think I'll bother listening when its released.

Hip Hop left Dr. Dre, Eminem et al. behind alooooooooong time ago.

I share Cliffhanger's sentiments and would add a bit of..

CunninLynguists - A Piece of Strange
CunninLynguists - Oneirology
Kno (of CunninLynguists) - Death is Silent
RA The Rugged Man - Die Rugged Man, Die
Ill Bill - The Hour of Reprisal
Aesop Rock - Labor Days
C-Rayz Walz - Year of the Beast
Blueprint - 1988
KRS One & Buckshot - Survival Skills
Pete Rock - Soul Survivor II
Immortal Technique - Revolutionary Volume II
Army of the Pharoahs - The Torture Papers
Gangstarr - The Ownerz
Nas - Stillmatic
Cannibal Ox - The Cold Vein
Big L - The Big Picture
Murs & 9th Wonder - Murs 316: The 9th Edition
Little Brother - The Minstrel Show
Heltah Skeltah - DIRT
El P - Fantastic Damage
Cage - Hells Winter
Apathy - Eastern Philosophy

...to name a few...

And one could argue that the 2000s has very much caught up to the level of music that was put out in the 90s, however it has done so via the independent route as opposed to the mainstream. The 90s probably had the better production with the likes of Premo, Pete Rock, Large Professor, Dr. Dre, RZA etc running riot, however the new sampling laws restricts the likes of 9th Wonder, El-P, Kno and Stoupe, so only the best survive. Go and listen to some CunninLynguists and see how much Hip Hop has left Dr. Dre behind.

Last edited:

Cliffhanger

Coach
Agree with a lot of that list but can't say I rate album NAS released after Illmatic, in fact I think if you were to take the all the good tracks he has released since Illmatic you would have just enough for one album.

Revolutionary Volume 2 is freaken amazing. Few MCs can flow as well Immortal Technique and lyrically he is definitely one of the best.

Latest posts