What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How bad is the Nein coverage?

nqboy

First Grade
Off to a shocker last week and went downhill from there this week.

We'd like a replay of the try before you cut to a commercial but if you can't do that, can we watch a reply when we come back instead of watching the scoring team walk back to their positions for the kick-off? As someone else said, I hoped the video ref was used each time cos at least we got to see a replay of the try.

Why do we have to watch the kicker line up his shot? That's time that could be given to a replay of the try. Show me an edited replay of the shot from when he starts to move in.

And get Phool Gould's ugly mug off our screens. He's got a great head for radio and you could see f**k all from the replay angles he was using from about 100m away. Sterlo pioneered the magic pen and after some teething troubles, he became fairly good at it. The Goose has no clue, it's like a 5yo drawing lines, arrows and circles randomly on the screen.

And what's with the fake excited tone in Goose's voice during the telestrator crosses? And the "EXCITED" caption under Matt Johns' name? The footy's exciting enough, we don't stroked with bullsh*t marketing ideas.

After years of excellence and improvement from Nein (in terms of their production, not scheduling or bias), they're sliding pretty badly IMO.

Godz Illa

Coach
nqboy said:
We'd like a replay of the try before you cut to a commercial but if you can't do that, can we watch a reply when we come back instead of watching the scoring team walk back to their positions for the kick-off?
I can feel that. Tries like Matt King's last night deserve multiple replays but we just didn't get them. I can live with cutting to a commercial after the try - we have to make sacrifices for a live game - but the replays need to get in there somehow.

gaterooze

Bench
Gotta agree, 9 have been absolutely woeful. Live should be LIVE, with ads kept for half time. Not this garbage we're getting.

And why start showing Gould with the Telestrater now? Bloody hell...

Prodigiousman

Juniors
agreed it has been pathetic.

Lets be honest, fans want to see the Tries in the game more than anything else. Why we have to wait til halftime and fulltime to get a decent 2nd look at every try is beyond me.

Lets hope they figure out how annoying it is by today's game, if it happens in the prelim finals and dare i say it - the Grand Final - Nine is going to cop it from all sides and not just on net forums.

I wrote this on my web site during the week:

You know, Channel Nine think they are going above and beyond their call of duty in showing the entire 2005 NRL Final Series Live. They would have you believe they are doing it as a wonderful gesture to Rugby League fans and they don't ever talk about the fact they should have been doing it for 20 years and that the ratings more then justify that decision.

But Nine have once again shown they are "Still The Bums" when it comes to covering sport. Make no mistake, I watch a lot of sport from all around the world, and maybe thats Nines problem. Ten years ago they were considered the best because we really had no one to measure them against....thats not the case any more.

In my opinion Channel Nine covers live sport worse then any other networks I've had the pleasure of watching over the last 10 years.

It starts off with the way they treat the audience, as if Nine is the only way we get to see or hear anything about Rugby League with their "Exclusive's" that you watched earlier on Channel 10 News or read in the Internet three days ago.

Then there is the way Nine tries to push its other rotten TV shows during League coverage. Have him on as much as you like Kerry, I'm not going to watch a 327th show about some d*ckh*ads who tear the sh*t out of someones garden and pretend along the way that it was a heap of fun!

And how could we not hate the way they try to push their "Personalities" ahead of the game. Back when the only TV commentary team was Rabs, Sterlo And Fatty, it worked. But with Fox Sports, Nine and even Super League coverage giving us UK commentators every week, those days are over. THE GAME is the star, not your Channel or your Commentators.

So get Matty Johns out of the picture when he is talking about whats going on during a game and stop putting the camera on the poor bloke when he hasn't got anything to say. Tell Gould we don't care what he thinks and for crying out loud, stop trying to Kill Vossy and Rab and sign Warren Smith up to call a game here and there!

Then there are the ads. Its bad enough with delayed coverage that they turn 2 hours game into a three hours game, but when you are watching a Live match and a team has just scored an incredible, length of the field try and they flick to a 30 second ad before the try scorer has even got up off the ground.....what the hell are they thinking! Its KILL's the viewers momentum dead. Just as your jumping to your feet and celebrating with the players and the fans in the stadium your hit with a stupid Beer commercial!

I haven't even touched on the fact that viewers in Victoria, South Australia, Tasmania, Western Australia and the Northern Territory get TERRIBLE coverage of the game. If you are lucky, you'll get a delayed replay at 9:30pm. In most cases you'll have to wait until after 12am to see the game and in some cases, they just don't show the games at all!

The terrible thing is, we have something like six more years of this crap to put up with. While Channel Ten and the AFL is a shining example of a sport and a TV Station being partners in the coverage they provide, Nine is stuck in the 1980's with no promotion of matches and with games just being another time slot they are filling.

Still The Bums.

sunny

I think they're trying to channel Simon Hughes from the SBS ashes coverage with Gould's use of the telestrator.

Cletus

First Grade
Can they show the premier league game before the NRL game? Just once for christs sake, all they do is show some crap like Boots and All, it's sunday arvo ffs.
Does anyone know if they are showing all grades on grand final day?

aussies1st

Staff member
Nine should just do 10 minutes of ads during the half time break. Stuff the analysis crap it usually is crap anyway. That way we both win.

Cletus

First Grade
Fatty has just tlod us the score in the Prenier League, "just in case you're interested".
YES IM f**kING INTERESTED, HOW ABOUT SHOWING US!!!

Brutus

Referee
How bad is the Channel Nien coverage?

Much better than the pathetic 2GB coverage. I turned off once Ray started questioning the crowd figure posted last night. Why all the negatives Ray? There was definitely around 17,000 there last night.

Parra_Eels

Bench
live footy used to be great on nine - no ads at all in both halfs but then i think 2 years ago ads started creeping in and now its a joke

You know what else if p*ssing me off...

4pm kickoff. Why on Earth are games being moved to STUPID times just for Nine!

Also, picking and choosing to show, or not show international games!!! :x

Latest posts