What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How did we end up here?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
We still won more games than Kearney did in nearly 2 seasons and were in contention up until Burt missed that penalty goal against the Tigers. Anderson's sacking was a f**king spineless disgrace.

Brian Smith took over the Roosters after they had won a wooden spoon:

2010 - 6th (grand finalists)
2011 - 11th
2012 - 13th

Anderson took over the Eels who had finished 11th:

2009 - 8th (grand finalists)
2010 - 12th
2011 - ??

We were in a decline, just like the Roosters. The only difference is our board saw it a year earlier than the Roosters' board.

And since we were in decline anyway, the best thing was to bring in a coach who could rebuild.

The Panthers have done the same with Cleary:

2010 - 2nd
2011 - 12th

They saw the decline and sacked the coach. Since they were in decline they brought in a rebuilder in Ivan Cleary. They still did worse than the previous year (15th) but Cleary was able to move a lot of dead wood along.

Either way, the Panthers and Eels were right to sack Elliot and Anderson, and the Roosters sacked Smith a year too late. Nothing spineless or disgraceful about it.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
24329168.jpg

bartman

Immortal

2011 - 11th
2012 - 13th

2010 - 12th
2011 - ??

We were in a decline, just like the Roosters. The only difference is our board saw it a year earlier than the Roosters' board.

And since we were in decline anyway, the best thing was to bring in a coach who could rebuild.

2010 - 2nd
2011 - 12th

They saw the decline and sacked the coach. Since they were in decline they brought in a rebuilder in Ivan Cleary. They still did worse than the previous year (15th) but Cleary was able to move a lot of dead wood along.

Either way, the Panthers and Eels were right to sack Elliot and Anderson, and the Roosters sacked Smith a year too late. Nothing spineless or disgraceful about it.
tumblr_m6zy722vzp1rr8pifo1_500.jpg

strider

Post Whore

2011 - 11th
2012 - 13th

2010 - 12th
2011 - ??

2010 - 2nd
2011 - 12th

The spineless and disgraceful bit is the two-faced way they went about it

i agree 09 wasn't all about hayne - we managed to click as a team with everyone playing their role - but what happened in '10?

The Storm salary cap drama broke. I think people underestimate the affect that had on our club. I think it changed our teams focus for a while that year, and that was the problem. The team played its Grand Final in July. We then had our bye, and went on a 3 game losing streak, some of those games we should have won, like the knights away game were we lead 4-0 with seconds to go. We should have beaten the Broncos at home in the only season they ever finished out of the top 8 in recent memory and it took a shellacking against the Warriors to wake us up.

From there, we won 3, lost to the Titans in what was a close game regardless of the scoreline, and beat the Broncos at home, each time we won we kept the finals dream alive. But then against the Broncos the news broke that Ozzie had been talking with Kearney, and then with the loss to the Wests Tigers by 2 points at home, the dream was over, and this side lost 2 more games and closed out the season in 12th, what if those 3 games (Knights, Broncos, Wests Tigers) had gone differently? we would have been 7th or 8th, 7th would have seen us take on the Panthers in Penrith on a Saturday night, and we had done that a few months earlier when we carved them up in the back 60 after letting them get to a lead. 8th would have been the Dragons at Kograh. . .

Last edited:

Gronk

Staff member
Pou always says we finished 8th in 2009 and 12th in 2010 to stack his argument. Facts are that we got dudded by the cheaters for a premiership in 2009 and would have made the semis in 2010 if Burt kicked "that" goal vs Tigers in Round 24.

I guess that wouldn't suit his decline theory, would it ?

Utey

Coach
My thoughts:

Daniel Anderson was a top coach who should never have been sacked. When people say that he only did it on the back of Hayne and Moimoi I start to get very angry. What sheer and utter crap that is. The rest of the team allowed those 2 to shine and make us surge into the grand final from a seemingly impossible position. Do people seem to forget how well Burt played that year ? What about Grothe ? Probably our best on Grand Final Day. Mortimer was outstanding too and we all applauded when we re-signed him. Mannah was also incredible as was Ben Smith and Mateo. Even Todd Lowrie made us eat our own words when he started being the player that every team needs, the one that cleans up and does all the shit stuff. 2009 was without doubt one of the greatest rides I have had since following this great game. I will never forget it. To make all those players gel and maintain their momentum takes skill and that is what Anderson did. It is not a coincidence that Anderson has been successful at every club he has coached at and his sacking was the worst decision that our club has ever made and the solution, well it's been said before.

That has now passed, time to move on. Ricky Stuart is the new boss. People forget that when he won that first comp at the Roosters he was only 35. He later achieved another 2 consecutive grand final appearances. An astonishing achievement despite the usual "but he had a champion side" bullshit argument. He still got them there. If he managed to win them all we would have compared him to Jack Gibson yet people are fixated on how he left the Roosters and later a scandalous and near bankrupt Cronulla side.

Well said and agree. Bring on 2013 and let it all play out. Hopefully we become strong, but I can't see us turning things around anytime soon. Would love to be proven wrong.

Tommy Coco

Juniors
Does everyone really wanna talk about what has been wrong with the club over the last 4 years? Gotta be better things to think about...

Stagger eel

Staff member
Does everyone really wanna talk about what has been wrong with the club over the last 4 years? Gotta be better things to think about...

I kinda agree, however way you look at it, bad decisions were made and plenty people were at fault and it may still cost the boards positions back to Fitzy's puppets but with appointment of sticky and staff with Nolan and a general manager, lets hope that foundation has been placed..

I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that we'll be battling for the spoon again next year but I'm confident at this time we'll have a following year to look forward...

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Pou always says we finished 8th in 2009 and 12th in 2010 to stack his argument. Facts are that we got dudded by the cheaters for a premiership in 2009 and would have made the semis in 2010 if Burt kicked "that" goal vs Tigers in Round 24.

I guess that wouldn't suit his decline theory, would it ?

You're full of shit you mad merkin.

We were a lot further away from making the finals in 2010 than a missed penalty goal. And whether we won the '09 grand final or not we were in decline afterwards. Like the Dragons right now.

IFR33K

Coach

We were a lot further away from making the finals in 2010 than a missed penalty goal. And whether we won the '09 grand final or not we were in decline afterwards. Like the Dragons right now.

So you're of the belief each time a team struggles to go better than the previous year, the coach should be sacked. Isn't that what got us in this mess.

Gronk

Staff member

Well if we didn't have the cheaters in the 2009 comp we would have won it for sure. So we would have been premiers, but on decline ?

We were indeed in contention for the finals in 2010. We had momentum and were building. That loss took the wind out of our sails. We finished 2 wins out of the 8 behind Manly.

I know you don't like being reminded of it, but here is the story.

Retiring Parramatta legend Luke Burt will always regret 'that' missed kick

Gronk

Staff member
Yep Gronk's "facts" are nothing of the sort.

OK so what part of being the 2009 runners up and being on the cusp of the 8 in 2010 false ? We finished on 24 points BTW.

Last edited:

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
For me the rot started the minute DF appointed hagan for 2007 instead is Taylor . Blind Freddy could see the knights were rabble made good by the best player in world. Hagan then let the whole structure set up by smith go to crap - this meant we never had the juniors coming thought pushing for the nrl ( gee how many forwards have we produced over the last six years which are now nrl regulars?) thus leading to our shit squad in 2010 onwards ( plus I doubt hagan had much idea about salary cap management )

Taylor would have kept the structures in place but also brought a fresh coaching approach to the squad which we needed . I believe Taylor would have kept us towards the top on the comp ( eg consistent finalists) . And as they say a winning club is a happy,

Last edited:

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Well if we didn't have the cheaters in the 2009 comp we would have won it for sure. So we would have been premiers, but on decline ?

We were indeed in contention for the finals in 2010. We had momentum and were building. That loss took the wind out of our sails. We finished 2 wins out of the 8 behind Manly.

I know you don't like being reminded of it, but here is the story.

Retiring Parramatta legend Luke Burt will always regret 'that' missed kick

Well we also had our final campaigns finished in 2006 and 2007 by the storm, years which they were also cheating

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
So you're of the belief each time a team struggles to go better than the previous year, the coach should be sacked. Isn't that what got us in this mess.

No I'm of the belief that some coaches are good at building/rebuilding a squad, and some coaches are good at getting the best out of an already good group of players.

A small minority of coaches are good at both.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

Burt, Grothe, Hindmarsh, Cayless, Moimoi, Galuvao - all approaching the end of their careers.

I remember well the circumstances of the season. The thing is, if you need to win all of your remaining games you can't blame a missed penalty goal in any but the final game for ending our season. We still would have had to win the games after it to make the eight, and given our season, and the fact that lightning had already struck a year earlier, I don't think it was likely.

I know you don't like being reminded of it

:?

Avenger

Immortal

Do you think that Osborne like the proverbial bleeding elephant in the snow may have destabilised the season when covertly courting Kearney mid 2010?

Last edited:

Bigfella

Coach

They aren't facts. They are both conclusions or assumptions.

Every team in the comp was affected by Storm;s cheating. If they hadn;t cheated - say had to lose Inglis - they wouldn't have been the same side - the team they beat in the major semi may have beaten us in the GF - or we may never have made the 8 because a team they beat twice who finished below us may have made it in.

And when Burt missed the goal there were still a few weeks left. Anything could have happened, including us still missing the eight.

Your "facts" are loaded with assumptions and other potential outcomes.