What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How did we end up here?

IFR33K

Coach
No I'm of the belief that some coaches are good at building/rebuilding a squad, and some coaches are good at getting the best out of an already good group of players.

A small minority of coaches are good at both.

And you had seen enough of DA to draw a conclusion?

And SK is one in that small minority you mention?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Do you think that Osborne like the proverbial bleeding elephant in the snow may have destabilised the season when trying to recruit Kearney mid 2010?

I reckon the season was already gone if they were looking to replace the coach.

The board and CEO want a good coach as much as anyone. If they thought the one they had was good enough they would have kept him.

Bigfella

Coach
The fact is that we played about 3 months of good footy in two years under Anderson, and our recruitment / retention was awful.

I would have been happy for him to have another year, but our troubles did not start and end with the decision to terminate him.

And it wasn't deceitful or underhanded - they publicly announced a review and he fronted the panel at least once, maybe twice?

Unless it is being suggested that the review process was just a smokescreen, and I don't see how any of us could prove that.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
And you had seen enough of DA to draw a conclusion?

When has he ever left a club in better shape than he found it? For that matter, when has he ever had to rebuild a club?

And SK is one in that small minority you mention?

He had already proven he could coach a strong squad with the Kiwis. As for his ability to build a squad, he had come from a club where they have a great development system. So even though he was an unknown quantity, that's better than a coach who had proven club building wasn't his forte.

Kornstar

Coach
Do you think that Osborne like the proverbial bleeding elephant in the snow may have destabilised the season when covertly courting Kearney mid 2010?

Couldn't possibly be an issue, Poupou said so........

I believe Anderson was removed because of an agenda, do I really care that he was removed? No, probably would have happened the year after anyways. I do care that they come out with a bullshit story though!

I 100% believe that Kearney was always the wrong choice, his record was very questionable with a very good kiwis side. He never coached at lower levels. The Storm had just systematically rorted the cap. The Storm CHEATED us out of a premiership, f*cking CHEATED us!

In an age of sports psychology, surely hiring someone who was involved in the team that CHEATED you out of something you live your life to achieve, surely that psychologically affects you?

Poupou, put any spin you want on it, he failed, plain and simple!

Ricky now has an opportunity to do what Brian Smith did to us, bring us back to being a successful, strong club! I am have my doubts but I am 1,000,000 times more confident in Ricky than I was ever going to be in Kearney!

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
The fact is that we played about 3 months of good footy in two years under Anderson, and our recruitment / retention was awful.

I would have been happy for him to have another year, but our troubles did not start and end with the decision to terminate him.

And it wasn't deceitful or underhanded - they publicly announced a review and he fronted the panel at least once, maybe twice?

Unless it is being suggested that the review process was just a smokescreen, and I don't see how any of us could prove that.

Couldn't agree more, we played some pretty terrible footy under Anderson. Let's not forget we were favorites for the comp in 2010, we had the same roster as 2009 but also added a rep prop and centre to the roster (poore/tahu)

Couldn't agree more, we played some pretty terrible footy under Anderson. Let's not forget we were favorites for the comp in 2010, we had the same roster as 2009 but also added a rep prop and centre to the roster (poore/tahu)

But lost Kevin Kingston who went on to be a Spark of life for the Panthers in the 2010 season.

Wouldn't exactly call those facts either, more opinions, some might think the footy was great, compared with the footy from the last 2 years, at least we were always in a game and had a shot at the finals till after round 25.

I think they are referring to what Nathan has said in his book.

bartman

Immortal
I kinda agree, however way you look at it, bad decisions were made and plenty people were at fault and it may still cost the boards positions back to Fitzy's puppets but with appointment of sticky and staff with Nolan and a general manager, lets hope that foundation has been placed..
:lol: Let the scare campaigning begin!

Statements like that one looked silly enough back at the 2011 elections (after Fitzgerald had been gone for almost two years), and they'll look even sillier as these 2013 elections roll around.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Thing is bart, Fitzgerald hasn't gone anywhere. Even when he was an employee of the club he was a manipulator and a politician.

The only thing that changed when he was sacked was that he was no longer an employee. He is still those other things, and his stench will be around the club long after players and coaches have moved on.

Sphagnum

Coach
Well, Mark Geyer had Parramatta at number 1 in his top 5 improvers for next year ahead of Penrith, Roosters, Warriors and Dragons on NRL on Fox.

#ItsAllGood

Gronk

Staff member
Thing is bart, Fitzgerald hasn't gone anywhere. Even when he was an employee of the club he was a manipulator and a politician.

The only thing that changed when he was sacked was that he was no longer an employee. He is still those other things, and his stench will be around the club long after players and coaches have moved on.

LOL you speak as if you are informed, but you really have zero idea about what he thinks or if he is in any way interested apart from attending the odd AGM to stir them up.

LOL at your faceless men routine.

Is that you Tony ? :lol:

Delboy

First Grade
Gronk, let me tell you he is heavily involved behind the scenes in destabilising the current board. This did not come from a board member, but someone who knows what is going on from some personal knowledge

Whether he has the sort of support he thinks is possibly another matter, if you think the wooden spoon is big, the one DF is stirring with is pretty huge, he wont go away for a while

Kornstar

Coach
Gronk, let me tell you he is heavily involved behind the scenes in destabilising the current board. This did not come from a board member, but someone who knows what is going on from some personal knowledge

Whether he has the sort of support he thinks is possibly another matter, if you think the wooden spoon is big, the one DF is stirring with is pretty huge, he wont go away for a while

Then he may aswell be voted back in.......no one wants him but atleast there will be less distractions if he was here!

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
LOL you speak as if you are informed, but you really have zero idea about what he thinks or if he is in any way interested apart from attending the odd AGM to stir them up.

If he goes out of his way to destabilise the club then he is by definition interested. Duh.

Your logic leaves you pretty quickly when you get manic about things.

LOL at your faceless men routine.

Dennis Fitzgerald is faceless now? Or did you just choose that term to make it sound like a conspiracy theory?

You could have been a politician Gronk; a shit one. merkins still would have voted for you.

Which raises the point - I have no doubt that the current board are shit. They must be because Eels fans voted for them. But even though they're shit I've got no problem with them staying around, and I'll give you two reasons why:

1. There is almost certainly nobody better. The kind of people we need would be mad to get so heavily involved in a rugby league club, and if they did it wouldn't be ours.

2. They piss whingers off.

The biggest hope for our club comes from the ARLC's recent requirement for clubs to employ sufficient staff to project the trappings of professionalism. It's no guarantee we'll employ quality front office staff, but it at least leaves the possibility open.

Is that you Tony ? :lol:

You've gone f**king manic! :crazy: :lol:

Very unladylike, Gronk.

So why don't you run for the board? Why not put a ticket together? You always paint yourself as a successs story. You like to associate yourself with aspirarional imagery. Why don't you become part of the solution?

It's because you've got better things to do with your time. And rightly f**king so. Let some other poor bastard in for the board and put themselves at the whim of this whinging, moaning supporter base. But if you're not going to run yourself, at least get off their backs. They might be incompetent but at least they're trying their best. Probably.

Gronk

Staff member

I have no doubt he likes to stir them up. Go to any ASX company AGM and there's an old codger waving his fist and stamping his feet. Destabilising the Board ? If they are competent at what they do, they not need about the likes of him. Few would see any merit in him being returned to office at the Eels.

If the current mob focus on kicking goals rather than dropping balls (footyism ;-)) they should win the next election by the straight.

Bigfella

Coach

As heavily involved as Gronk and his amigos?

oldmancraigy

Coach

The one thing I can't understand is why anyone would waste their breath trying to defend the schmuck?!?!?!

The guy was poison for our club, lied and manipulated to feather his own nest and oversaw a FAR WORSE era of football than anything we're currently experiencing.
Oh sure, we didn't get the spoon in the 90s, but there was a good 10 years where our best hope of playing finals footy was to pray they expanded the finals to a top 12 format, and even then we'd be no sure things.

And alongside that he kept crying poor and failing to improve the leagues club. Sure, we've had a rough trot the last 3 seasons on the footy field. But the leagues club looks a million dollars, and at least the current mob is being proactive in sacking the underperformers and bringing in new blokes to have a dig.
Not like we're stuck with Mick Cronin for his full 3 years, then Ron Hilditch for his full 3 years.

I'm not scared of Fitzy, but if anything has the faintest whiff of him, it can rack off from my club thanks all the same.
I've suffered enough of that moron for one lifetime.