What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How many weeks for Latrell?

Meth

Staff member
Fowl language toward a ref is binable but he was going anyway which probably muddied things. Shows to me that Klein doesn’t have the players’ respect and is out of his depth. No way Bill Harrigan would’ve copped that.

Well then the judiciary should front up with more than a small fine. Gagai was basically the instigator of the incident (beyond a simple ruck infringement). You didn't see Tupouniua carrying on like Gagai.

Exsilium

First Grade
Well then the judiciary should front up with more than a small fine. Gagai was basically the instigator of the incident (beyond a simple ruck infringement). You didn't see Tupouniua carrying on like Gagai.

If the referees want respect, they need to earn it by not copping that shit. A referee wouldn’t need to justify their decision to send/sin bin if a player carried on like Gagai did.

Do it a few times and players will quickly realise they’re not in any position to speak to anyone like that, especially an official.

Should be zero tolerance.

yobbo84

First Grade
This still a thing? He made a bad tackle and now will miss 6 weeks and probably cost his side any chance of a premiership. Case closed.

Anything beyond that is just people's personal opinions of Latrell.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I am still yet to see a story that even hints at latrell making a phone call or sending a text to apologise which you normally see by now with these types of incidents. Surely if you were within souths management, you would want that story out there to at least try to get some good PR.

The bloke has proven himself to be completely unhinged.
Exactly. Would that be hard? It wouldn't rectify the dog shot that he put on, but at least it would show he's apologetic about it. Just come out and say I made an error, I'm hugely apologetic to my old team mate and gutted a star like him is missing the finals. Then at least we can give Latrell some credit.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Audio from Channel Nine’s coverage reveals Mitchell yelling back “I don’t need to apologise” and “I was protecting my f---ing head”.
I get why someone would say this in the heat of the battle. The guy is off his head a bit, fired up, trying to scramble together words that might avoid him being sent off.

But to go off the field and still be enraged, then no apology since, man. It's just a shit look.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
This still a thing? He made a bad tackle and now will miss 6 weeks and probably cost his side any chance of a premiership. Case closed.

Anything beyond that is just people's personal opinions of Latrell.
Haha, that's exactly what it is. It's an internet forum. We have personal opinions. Latrell made an error but what he did after it was even worse

Valheru

Coach
Exactly. Would that be hard? It wouldn't rectify the dog shot that he put on, but at least it would show he's apologetic about it. Just come out and say I made an error, I'm hugely apologetic to my old team mate and gutted a star like him is missing the finals. Then at least we can give Latrell some credit.

It shows gross mismanagement from souths as well. It actually makes me think they will fight the charge.

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member
Latrell Mitchell will accept a six-week ban that ends his 2021 season for the reckless high tackle that left former teammate Joey Manu requiring a facial reconstruction.

South Sydney officials have told NRL.com the club intends to accept early guilty pleas for both Mitchell and forward Liam Knight, who will miss two weeks for dangerous contact on Siosiua Taukeiaho.

Knight will be available again for the Rabbitohs for their second finals match.

Previous offences by Mitchell had seen what would have been a four-week suspension for the high contact on Manu bumped up by carry-over points to a six-week ban.

Round 24 charges: Latrell Mitchell accepts ban - NRL

If the referees want respect, they need to earn it by not copping that shit. A referee wouldn’t need to justify their decision to send/sin bin if a player carried on like Gagai did.

Do it a few times and players will quickly realise they’re not in any position to speak to anyone like that, especially an official.

Should be zero tolerance.

Very true. Reason players would not carry on with Bill Harrigan had he made a similar call is Bill would put them in the bin or even send them off for dissent (see Tallis in State of Origin as a prime example). NRL Referees, in my opinion, crack down on the wrong things, and let stuff like this thru to the keeper. Heck when I was refereeing junior rugby league, had the officials of the Junior League heard words like that, they would have expected me to send a player off for "offensive or obscene language" - they kept writing to our Referees Association asking us to crack down on that type of language.

Last edited:
fd0d17f15b927457203b5ef059bcd66d

It's a shame Fat Latts doesn't have white skin and the surname "Cleary".

Racist NRL going to continue to racist.

Exsilium

First Grade
Very true. REason players would not carry on with Bill Harrigan had he made a similar call is Bill would put them in the bin or even send them off for dissent (see Tallis in State of Origin as a prime example). NRL Referees, in my opinion, cvrack down on the wrong things, and let stuff like this thru to th e keeper. Heck when I was refereeing junior rugby league, had the officials of the Junior League heard words like that, they would have expectd me to send a player off for "offensive or obscene language" - they kept writiong to our Referees Association asking us to crack down on that type of language.

What is also an issue is that the MRC won’t take action either.

PVL talks about cleaning up the game, setting an example and continuing the growth of Rugby League. This is one area which doesn’t get the attention needed.

The rules are there to be used and as fans, we have to accept that they are there. If a player got binned for dissent, I’d be angrier at the player than the referee.

You’ve experienced it at JRL level and it’s not accepted there but it’s fine when there is viewers, listeners and fans at the ground (normally).

Munky

Coach
What is also an issue is that the MRC won’t take action either.

PVL talks about cleaning up the game, setting an example and continuing the growth of Rugby League. This is one area which doesn’t get the attention needed.

The rules are there to be used and as fans, we have to accept that they are there. If a player got binned for dissent, I’d be angrier at the player than the referee.

You’ve experienced it at JRL level and it’s not accepted there but it’s fine when there is viewers, listeners and fans at the ground (normally).

I haven't watched Union in years but don't the refs only call players by their team and number eg Gold fifteen for the Wallabies full back.

Keeps a layer of distance between the authority on the field and those under it.

Latest posts