What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How many weeks should James Graham get?

How many weeks

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

azza29

Juniors
The amount of cash you're paid has nothing to do with how you handle yourself in a situation that's ultimately not part of your job description anyway.

Absolutely it does. NRL players are in the public eye and are, like it or not, role models for kids who aspire to play in the league one day.

We're not talking about rough conduct here - that's part and parcel of playing league. This is deliberate, premeditated assault. Graham made a beeline for Slater and went in for the bite.

He is a professional and the footy field is his workplace. Any other job and you'd be sacked on the spot, and probably face criminal charges.

bartman

Immortal
Where's the option for no weeks? Slater's had it coming for years....

troll.png

CrazyTiger

Juniors
Nah not defending it. I even said it was a mongrel tactic. If you read my posts you'd see that. Just posting a different view... granted it's maybe not on the same lines as "Dirty merkin" or "grub act 15 weeks". :sarcasm:

See this is the problem. People expect these guys to hold to some kind of ethic when some guy is punching them in the face, all because they're a "professional sportsman"? As if it's some "holier than thou" position? F**k that!
The amount of cash you're paid has nothing to do with how you handle yourself in a situation that's ultimately not part of your job description anyway.

Also, there's a slight difference between UFC and rugby league - namely, that one is a fighting sport where it's their job to fight within the allowed guidelines, and the other isn't. :lol:

Nice to see you looking for the alternative point of view. :)

It is a strange offence, almost an acquired taste, but not in the league of eye gouging
as people like MadUnit have said. You would really need to get a fair bit of his ear
off (which Tyson managed) for it to actually affect your hearing, and even then it
hardly compares with losing the sight in one's eye.

Fighting isn't part of a footballers job description, but a fight/brawl is an inevitable
hazard. Every NRL player would know that at some stage they are going to be involved in
a brawl and/or fight, and would have a preconceived idea of what they are prepared to
do. I would suggest this is the reason why biting is very rare, and furthermore I doubt
it is a coincidence that the bloke is English. I doubt he understood what is considered
acceptable behaviour on the football field on our shores. He is about to learn the
hard way.

RedVDave

First Grade
I'd say 7 weeks but in Graham's defence Slater had no right jamming his ear down his mouth, I must admit although I strongly disagree with the dirty tatic it is impossible to feel any sympathy for the dog that is Slater.

Last edited:

Grapple

Bench
Absolutely it does. NRL players are in the public eye and are, like it or not, role models for kids who aspire to play in the league one day.

We're not talking about rough conduct here - that's part and parcel of playing league. This is deliberate, premeditated assault. Graham made a beeline for Slater and went in for the bite.

He is a professional and the footy field is his workplace. Any other job and you'd be sacked on the spot, and probably face criminal charges.

Well I disagree about NRL players being role models. I think that rhetoric gets flung around way too much. Obviously, kids want to play like certain players, but influenced by their conduct on or off the field? I'm not so sure.

I don't feel well qualified to know what Graham was thinking or if it was pre-meditated. More like he was full of rage and lost the plot and/or hungry. His footy field is his workplace but i'm not sure how anyone can compare this to another profession and being sacked.

I just find it ridiculous we're expecting Graham to adhere to a standard of fighting - which is not allowed in the game in the first place!

CrazyTiger

Juniors
Well I disagree about NRL players being role models. I think that rhetoric gets flung around way too much. Obviously, kids want to play like certain players, but influenced by their conduct on or off the field? I'm not so sure.

I don't feel well qualified to know what Graham was thinking or if it was pre-meditated. More like he was full of rage and lost the plot and/or hungry. His footy field is his workplace but i'm not sure how anyone can compare this to another profession and being sacked.

I just find it ridiculous we're expecting Graham to adhere to a standard of fighting - which is not allowed in the game in the first place!

Everybody is expected to adhere to a standard of fighting, regardless of whether or not
they are a football player, a ballet dancer, or anything in between.

Being on a football field doesn't give him any right to impunity. Gary jack taught
Ian Roberts that lesson. Could he kill him with impunity just because he was in a rage?
I think you will find the answer is no.

The statistical likelihood of being bitten on a football field in that manner is a strong
indicator of the extent of premeditation.

I agree with one thing though, if you are using an NRL player as a role model, get
another role model.

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Whatever gets him 12 regular season games on the sidelines. What can he possibly say to explain himself? There is no defence for what he did. f**k him.

jadtiger

Juniors
he should get every game leading up to the first competition match in 2013 and then 12 additional competition games.

Inu deserves some criticism for starting the original melee for what amounted to nothing

Fake Kiwi tough guy act for a guy who went missing when it counted.

Nonsense if I've ever heard it.

Inu, like everybody else watching, probably thought Slater attacked his team mate with his knees.

Nobody is to blame to the melee but Slater. It's nothing more than the case of the boy who cries wolf. Slater has attacked so many players maliciously with his knees as they ground the ball that when it half looks like he does it, players assume him guilty.

I bet Graham thought Slater kneed his team mate too.

How many people watched the try live and didn't think Slaters effort looked dodgy?

It was just a big misunderstanding, nothing to do with tough guy nonsense

Perrett did'nt care...good bloke.

Lol'd at Lowe about to use Inu as a toothpick...oh hang on...that's what Graham was trying to do.

Obviously you've not seen a replay. Look at Perrett after Slaters effort, he looks as angry as I've ever seen anyone.

Everybody but Storm fans and QLDers thought Slater had gone for Perrett with his knees. Even the commentators suspected that was the reason for the melee, until the slwo mo replay showed that wasn't the case

Fire

First Grade
I don't get the big deal. It was a dog act, but who cares? It was Billy Slater, too. Too many skirts in this thread getting "outraged". Harden up and have a f**ken laugh about it.

The Storm forwards got him back in the end, so it's been dealt with.

He's like me old mate Beauy Scott, not too bright but likes to get angry. Let the man be, he's good for a laugh: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu4h8eVBrQw

Comparing it to Tyson is wrong, too. Tyson had every right to bite Holyfield's ear. If half you broads know anything about the sport of boxing, leading with your head is worse than biting someone's ear. Tyson told him "Stop leading with your head and head-butting me, or I'll bite your f**ken ear off." What did Holyfield do...

Edit: The YouTube link isn't footage of the Grand Final bite, it's him providing the lolz against Manly earlier in the year. The guys good value.

Last edited:
I'm surprised people are happy with such lax punishments reading the thread, too. How can biting someones ear like that be an 8 week offence?

What the f**k kind of message does that send. In boxing, where fighting is what the sport is about, biting someones ear is worth a year. In league, where fighting is illegal, biting someones ear is 6-8 weeks lol?

Leaguefan22

Juniors
I'm surprised people are happy with such lax punishments reading the thread, too. How can biting someones ear like that be an 8 week offence?

What the f**k kind of message does that send. In boxing, where fighting is what the sport is about, biting someones ear is worth a year. In league, where fighting is illegal, biting someones ear is 6-8 weeks lol?

Exactly. The punishment should be much longer than 8 weeks.

Latest posts