What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How Slater got injured vs Parramatta

Bazal

Post Whore
Can any of you Storm fans explain to me how Slaters injury supposedly occurred in this incident, despite the knee being pulled the wrong way for a medial strain yet? Or are you all to busy clutching at those straws to actually engage in a reasoned discussion?

Billythekid

First Grade
Yet another thread full of storm bashing how original.

I'm just glad i don't know any real RL fans who carry on like the rest of you whingers.

Tekken Lord

Juniors
Originally Posted by Bazal
Can any of you Storm fans explain to me how Slaters injury supposedly occurred in this incident, despite the knee being pulled the wrong way for a medial strain yet? Or are you all to busy clutching at those straws to actually engage in a reasoned discussion?

Bellamy said so, so it must be true. But seriously they fully avoid the issue and carry on about people being jealous and other crap, instead of answering the few questions with any sense in them. When i watched the game again and analysed the ruck i realised the eels did alot of leg pulling and holding legs down while the storm focused on the upper body twisting the arms at various unnatural angles. I don't like either i don't like wrestling in the tackle.

Leg pulls are used to slow down the play the ball the use of them shouldn't cause injury, i can't see how a leg pull caused an injury to slater, and if it did his leg was obviously too weak to be playing on in the first place (i know from experience). Arm locks and other such things are designed to manipulate the joints and get the player to submit otherwise they can cause serious injury easily. That is the only reason to use an arm lock and risk of injury increases when you have players using techniques like the one used on Cayless which only outcome is injury.

Frailty

First Grade
Bazal said:
Wait, wait, wait...a couple of things;

1)Anyone here done their medial? Ligaments are pretty tough, it takes a lot of force to damage one, certainly more than PJ Marsh can apply to a joint especially bending it the way it's designed to bend.

2)Yes, we do pull legs a bit in tackles, mostly via PJ and Finch, and I don't think you'll find many Eels fans who aren't pissed off when they do it.

3)The medial ligament is on the medial side of the joint, obviously. That's the inside of the joint for anyone who doesn't know. A medial ligament strain occurs when the knee is bent or twisted laterally (or towards the outside), thus placing unnatural pressure on the medial side of the joint. But PJ pulls the leg back towards the medial side, in a fairly natural bend...so how does Billy get a medial ligament strain on a ligament that, for all intents and purposes, is relaxed by the action of pulling the leg? I don;t think Bellamy and his boys really thought this one through...

You are quite correct, however the image does not show where the injury occurred, but rather when PJ Marsh first picks up Slaters leg.

If you watch the video, via bigpond, you will see Marsh drags slaters leg. In doing so Slater is moved onto his back and his right knee is dragged into Number 17 of Parramatta, whilst PJ continues to push his leg. Thus, his shin is extended away from the body. This is how the medial tear/strain occurred.

However, I don't believe there was intent to injure, but merely to slow the ball down. That being said, it is still a dangerous tactic like the grapple, ripper, and crusher tackles, which are also aimed at slowing down the play the ball.

On the subject of Bellamy, I do not see this as whinging or complaining. I think he has maintained his composure well and is simply demonstrating other tactics that slow the play the ball down can be dangerous too. I think he has done this.

For video reference.... the incident occurs 39:07 in the first half.

Bazal

Post Whore
Frailty said:
You are quite correct, however the image does not show where the injury occurred, but rather when PJ Marsh first picks up Slaters leg.

If you watch the video, via bigpond, you will see Marsh drags slaters leg. In doing so Slater is moved onto his back and his right knee is dragged into Number 17 of Parramatta, whilst PJ continues to push his leg. Thus, his shin is extended away from the body. This is how the medial tear/strain occurred.

However, I don't believe there was intent to injure, but merely to slow the ball down. That being said, it is still a dangerous tactic like the grapple, ripper, and crusher tackles, which are also aimed at slowing down the play the ball.

On the subject of Bellamy, I do not see this as whinging or complaining. I think he has maintained his composure well and is simply demonstrating other tactics that slow the play the ball down can be dangerous too. I think he has done this.

For video reference.... the incident occurs 39:07 in the first half.

I've seen the footage, and if anything he should have a strain on the lateral side of his knee. PJ pulls his leg straight back and slightly towards the medial side, it's not possible to strain a medial ligament like that. Lateral, yes...but not medial. And of course there is no way PJ has the strength to strain a ligament by pulling some guys leg, it's just not possible.

Frailty

First Grade
Bazal said:
I've seen the footage, and if anything he should have a strain on the lateral side of his knee. PJ pulls his leg straight back and slightly towards the medial side, it's not possible to strain a medial ligament like that. Lateral, yes...but not medial. And of course there is no way PJ has the strength to strain a ligament by pulling some guys leg, it's just not possible.

Watch the video again. Billy Slater ends up on his back with his right leg being dragged to the right. Contact with Number 17 is on the lateral side of his right knee and thus the strain in placed on the medial side of the knee.

Bazal

Post Whore

Watch the video again. Billy Slater ends up on his back with his right leg being dragged to the right. Contact with Number 17 is on the lateral side of his right knee and thus the strain in placed on the medial side of the knee.

Firstly, Slater rolls onto his back of his own accord after the fact, otherwise PJ would be bending his knee the wrong way ffs. Secondly, as you can see Wagon is on the left, PJ breaks to the left, Slaters leg is pulled to the left thus placing pressure on the lateral side of the knee. And anyway, do you really think a medial ligament can be damaged that easily?

Frailty

First Grade
eelscollisionjv4.jpg

Firstly, Slater rolls onto his back of his own accord after the fact, otherwise PJ would be bending his knee the wrong way ffs. Secondly, as you can see Wagon is on the left, PJ breaks to the left, Slaters leg is pulled to the left thus placing pressure on the lateral side of the knee. And anyway, do you really think a medial ligament can be damaged that easily?

As mentioned previously, that picture is of when Marsh first picks up Slaters foot. As he runs to the left of the picture (what would be infront of number 17), Slater turns on his back as to make sure his leg isnt pulled the wrong way. As number 17 stands up, PJ is going past with Slaters leg in his hand, and slaters toes point towards the air. The pressure on the knee is coming from the lateral side, thus straining the medial.

I do not think it would have been damaged that easily, but given that it was previously injured, and strapped it would have done damage.

Frailty

First Grade
, as you can see Wagon is on the left, PJ breaks to the left, Slaters leg is pulled to the left thus placing pressure on the lateral side of the knee
Just caught note of this. If slater is on his back, and PJ holding right leg, and Wagon is on the left, the pressure is COMING FROM the lateral side at the knee (Wagon) and the medial side at the ankle (Marsh). This means his lower leg is being abuducted from the body and straining the medial ligament on the inside of his right knee.

Bazal

Post Whore
Frailty said:
Just caught note of this. If slater is on his back, and PJ holding right leg, and Wagon is on the left, the pressure is COMING FROM the lateral side at the knee (Wagon) and the medial side at the ankle (Marsh). This means his lower leg is being abuducted from the body and straining the medial ligament on the inside of his right knee.

But Slater is face down, that's the key thing here

Frailty

First Grade
Bazal said:
He rolls over after the pressure is applied

No he doesn't. The pressure isn't applied until Wagon is just about standing and as Marsh is going past. Slater is on his back at this time.

Dutchy

Immortal
Frailty said:
No he doesn't. The pressure isn't applied until Wagon is just about standing and as Marsh is going past. Slater is on his back at this time.

Yes he does.

Frailty

First Grade
Does anyone know how to screen capture a streaming video?

Because the pressure is when Slater is on his back.

_Johnsy

Referee
Frailty said:
Does anyone know how to screen capture a streaming video?

Because the pressure is when Slater is on his back.

Well it would appear that the Melbourne coach would disagree with you, afterall the picture he is using as the exact moment the injury was suffered suggests otherwise.

_Johnsy

Referee
The fuinniest thing I can obtain from reading this thread is, no-one is condoning what PJ is alleged to have done (cause injury to donkey kick slater), whereas Melbourne fans will come out from the woodwork in an attempt to condone their tackling technique. Often saying
'it is not illegal', well reading the rule book, either is what PJ has alleged to have done, karma.

Frailty

First Grade
_Johnsy said:
Well it would appear that the Melbourne coach would disagree with you, afterall the picture he is using as the exact moment the injury was suffered suggests otherwise.

Actually I bet that he didn't pick that exact photo. AND TO REPEAT MYSELF AGAIN the picture is merely when Marsh picks up Slaters foot, and not when he drags it.

Latest posts