What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hunt - How many weeks?

How many weeks for Hunt?

• Total voters

Shorty

Staff member
Yeah,he's very lucky if he gets off with 0 weeks.
Even if it was an accident,it still connects with the head and Hunt closes his eyes before the tackle.
That can be argued alone to be careless.

orochimaru

Juniors
Really there was nothing wrong with the tackle, but the fact that he smiled and was pleased that Anasta was hurt seemed to hint that he might've intended to do it that way, 1 - 2 weeks to set a tough message.

salivor

First Grade
orochimaru said:
Really there was nothing wrong with the tackle, but the fact that he smiled and was pleased that Anasta was hurt seemed to hint that he might've intended to do it that way, 1 - 2 weeks to set a tough message.

Obviously you missed 2 things. First the TV coverage clearly showed Hunt going over to check if Anasta was alright. Second, Anasta said post match that Hunt came over to apologise. I think Saab's on the money here, Stevie Wonder has been breeding like crazy.

Foz

Bench
Big Pete said:
Just a question but what did people make of the Ash Graham shot?

Looked elbowish to me.
I think Hunt might get off (not so sure he should but it wasnt that bad and it looked to me like he was always going to get his head- but you cant say he would of for sure).
Graham should be in a bit of trouble.

Mr Saab

Referee
Ash Graham raised his arm which wont help his cause. Hunt had his arm firmly placed against his side.

taipan

Referee
salivor said:
And here we have another poster claiming his arm was cocked despite having a big f**k off picture proving this to be incorrect posted just 5 posts above his/hers.

I said semi cocked.:roll:

This Year?

Immortal
Big Pete said:
Just a question but what did people make of the Ash Graham shot?

I thought the Graham shot was worse because he was leading with a forearm. He should get 1-2 weeks for it.

ngap

Juniors
This shoulder charge controversey reminds me of the 80s when Mortimer was always going before the judiciary for coathangers. He kept providing experts to say it was a reflex action. Strange how no-one else had the same reflex action and they have been trained out of the game.

Same when riddell was penalized over his tackle that lifted the player above the horizontal and Morely with his tackles of people dropping.

All of it comes down to technique and choosing appropriate tackles. Leave shoulder charges in the game but the person who is making the shoulder charge has to be aware they are responsible for the consequences if the tackle goes wrong.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
Having seen the incident on TV I will retract my earlier comments.. I think it was totally accidental and 1 week is the absolute most it deserved if anything.. Just an accident and contact was more likely the lower part of his shoulder or upper arm... I think Hunt's unwillingness to get overly involved in the rest of the game may have been down to the shock of what happened to Anasta as a result..

taipan

Referee
salivor said:
Where is his arm semi-cocked in that image? I wonder if anyone around here has actually ever seen a shoulder charge.

Was his elbow strapped behind his back ?Look I have a lot of time for Hunt,he is a good clean player,but in my view watching it again at proper speed,not this slo mo crap, or pretty pictures,his elbow was in a careless position.It wasn't deliberate,but lazy and careless.Jason Stevens used to get pinged for it at times,when in attack.
SBW usually performs a shoulder charge as it should be done,sometimes he stuffs up ask,A Johns.Hunt's IMO was a pretty ordinary shoulder charge,if that is what you are claiming.If you can't perform them properly and are out with your timing,simply don't try em.
It was front on,what happened to his hands for a front on ball and all tackle.As Anasta was falling ,if Hunt had tried a ball and all,the result would have been different,for both parties.

Mr Saab

Referee
taipan said:
SBW usually performs a shoulder charge as it should be done,sometimes he stuffs up ask,A Johns.Hunt's IMO was a pretty ordinary shoulder charge,if that is what you are claiming.If you can't perform them properly and are out with your timing,simply don't try em.

What the? SBW was not going for a shoulder charge with that tackle It was a swinging arm to the head

You are really struggling Taipan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciHFFAnFK6U

salivor

First Grade
taipan said:
Was his elbow strapped behind his back ?Look I have a lot of time for Hunt,he is a good clean player,but in my view watching it again at proper speed,not this slo mo crap, or pretty pictures,his elbow was in a careless position.It wasn't deliberate,but lazy and careless.Jason Stevens used to get pinged for it at times,when in attack.
It was front on,what happened to his hands for a front on ball and all tackle.As Anasta was falling ,if Hunt had tried a ball and all,the result would have been different,for both parties.

I don't think you have the first clue what a shoulder charge is let along how it is performed. You'll see about 50 shoulder charges exactly the same as Hunts every weekend. His elbow wasn't cocked, it was against his torso, I don't know where else you would like him to put it, rapped around his back or maybe you'd like him to amputate it? I don't even know where the elbow or forearm comes into this, Anasta hit his bicep, you've been shown the pic several times yet seem incapable of seeing what is right in front of you.

As for the crap about a front on tackle, your point is? Hunt chose to go for a shoulder charge and would've pulled it off if Anasta hadn't slipped and given him no time to react. Now you're trying to criticise him for trying to perform a legal tackle technique? I've heard it all now.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
Bruno Cullen should learn to shut up.. I don't think Hunt's contact with Anasta's head was intentional but this guy is in fairyland.. He will talk the judiciary in to finding Hunt guilty.. I am surprised he didn't call on the judiciary to charge Anasta for deliberately headbutting Hunt's shoulder/arm

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,23424116-23214,00.html

Anasta to be Hunt's star witness

By Wayne Heming
March 24, 2008
BRISBANE plan to use Sydney Roosters five-eighth Braith Anasta as their star witness in a bid to clear representative fullback Karmichael Hunt of a careless high tackle charge.
Hunt, facing a week's suspension for the grade three charge, was one of four players picked up by the NRL's match review committee following a wild weekend of matches in which two players were sent off.
“Shocked is probably too strong a word, but we're very surprised Karmichael has been charged,” Broncos chief executive Bruno Cullen said.
“We'll be defending him vigorously, we think he's totally innocent. We can't see how he can be charged for another player's actions.”
Brisbane maintain Anasta, whose nose was badly broken in the 18th minute, contributed largely by falling awkwardly into Hunt's tackle.
They'll have a meeting Tuesday morning with Hunt and coach Wayne Bennett to formulate a defence to take to Wednesday night's judiciary hearing with Anasta certain to be a key piece of their evidence.
“Karmichael never set himself for a shoulder charge but he had to brace himself for the impact when Anasta fell into him,” said Cullen.
“The players may be responsible for their actions but they can't avoid accidents. In this case the accident was caused by the other person (Anasta) and we can't see why there's a problem.
“We'll defend it vigorously, we're firmly of the opinion it was an accident. If Anasta doesn't slip or fall or stumble, nothing happens. Karmichael's arm remained by his side, his elbow doesn't come out or is cocked.”
Bulldogs forward Andrew Ryan beat a similar charge at the judiciary last year with the help of an expert in body movements.
Asked if Brisbane would call on a biomechanics expert to use similar evidence showing Anasta falling, Cullen said: “we'll do whatever we have to do”.
“The other camp didn't blow up and Anasta didn't say anything, in fact he's come out a number of times and said he'd help with Hunt's defence.
“(Roosters officials) Ricky Stuart and Brian Canavan have said the same thing. There's no complains from the Roosters camp at all because they know it was an accident.”

JW

Coach
“Karmichael never set himself for a shoulder charge but he had to brace himself for the impact when Anasta fell into him,” said Cullen.

Certainly not the best choice of words.

Latest posts