What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hunt to AFL???!?!!

JW

Coach
The AFL’s relatively clean behaviour record has provided a propaganda weapon against the perennially crisis-torn NRL.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Richard Hinds - Journalism Fail.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Every cloud has a silver lining! A RL story made the full back page of the West Australian yesterday for the first time ever!

Under the heading

IT'S WAR! was this story:

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,,25851595-5016215,00.html

Ok it was about AFL and not exactly complimentary but as they say there is no such thing as bad publicity!

especially as next page in was the story about South's bringing NRL games here.

Good.

It could backfire on them. All of a sudden there may be plenty of Mexicans who've never bothered before wanting to watch Rugby League to see what all the fuss is about...

Chook Norris

First Grade
He will join the Gold Coast as one of the top-five earners in the AFL alongside premiership-winning superstars Jonathan Brown, Chris Judd and Dean Cox, and St Kilda captain Nick Riewoldt.

has played <10 AFL games and yet he'll be in the top 5 earners in that code... what a joke :lol:

yawn

Juniors
Does Hunt have much of a personality. I dont like the way he talks or his accent or whatever.

The only drawcard he would have is his silly step. Other AFL players could adopt his silly step.

He's a good nrl player but i dont think he is that exciting for afl

He talks in a funny way and he is boring imo.

Last edited:

Flapper

First Grade
You don't and by the sounds of it never will, I think the idea of the Western Sydney team is to develop a rivalry with the Swans and slowly generate interest from the grassroots up, unfortunately for you the AFL has time and plenty of money to be patient. Look how many years they had to prop up the Swans until they got any level of interest. Decades.

No mate, you don't get it. WE WILL NEVER CARE. Western Sydney DOES NOT care about AFL. Get your head around it mate. I was at Penrith Rowing Club tonight, and someone asked to put it on the Swans game. It was back on the Newcastle game within 5 minutes. We don't like it, never will, it's a sh*t sport followed by sh*t people. We in Western Sydney are far better than to follow Victorian bullsh*t forced upon us by a meek media who don't realise how little of a sh*t we give to AFL.

No mate, you don't get it. WE WILL NEVER CARE. Western Sydney DOES NOT care about AFL. Get your head around it mate. I was at Penrith Rowing Club tonight, and someone asked to put it on the Swans game. It was back on the Newcastle game within 5 minutes. We don't like it, never will, it's a sh*t sport followed by sh*t people. We in Western Sydney are far better than to follow Victorian bullsh*t forced upon us by a meek media who don't realise how little of a sh*t we give to AFL.

Mate you will never talk sense to a Fumbleball fan.
In all seriousness,they truely believe(with help from the media)that once a person is exposed to boggerball they will instantly be a fan, & instantly give up the sport they have followed since childhood.

What most don't realise is that if you drew a line across OZ from Brissy,two thirds of this country are above that line ,yet they cant seem to get too many interested.

Coaster

Bench
I watched a bit of the AFL Footy show, to see there reaction over this 'Hunt Stunt'.

A guy called Brown was talking, must play for the Brisbane team, he said this was only the 4th time in history that an AFL related story has appeared on the front page on the newspaper. The other 3 times they won the GF.

Ladmate

Bench

;-) Summed up brilliantly.

Brutus

Referee
I watched the AFL footy show on IQ to gauge their reaction of the Hunt move.

What I did learn was that one the Melbourne Ch 9 journos (Craig Hutch), who is seen as their Danny Weidler, actually knew about the Hunt story in February.

Had this Hutch fella let the cat out of the bag early in the piece the deal might have fallen over. Obviously there is a nice understanding between the AFL and many of its journos. Could you imagine a league journo sitting on this news for that long?

Not unlike the Storm in Melbourne, actually. 95% of people couldn't give a rats arse about them.

I'll actually be surprised if WS gets off the ground in the AFL. GC at least has a fighting chance of success, can't see WS has a snowball's chance in hell.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/sport/nrl/story/0,26746,25876394-5016365,00.html

Karmichael Hunt marked as 'barrel girl' for Gold Coast

Gordon Tallis | August 04, 2009 12:00am
Have your say!Add your comments or read what others are saying

AFL clearly has learnt nothing from rugby union's failed experiment with paying over the odds to recruit rugby league players.

While rugby union scored some cheap publicity by splashing millions to recruit Mat Rogers, Wendell Sailor and Lote Tuqiri, ultimately it did more damage to the code than favours.

By paying those guys inflated salaries they caused great unrest within their own playing ranks and it has contributed to that code's current woes.

Youngsters who had grown up with dreams of being a Wallaby became disillusioned that their place in a state and national team was being taken by a league player who crossed codes solely for the money.

It made them think differently about their sport. They realised if the ARU hierarchy wasn't prepared to show loyalty to their own, then it was a two-way street. So they began to explore their options in Europe and Japan, and by all accounts there is now enough Australian talent playing rugby union overseas to fill a far more competent Super 14 outfit than the Reds have for many years.

The AFL won't suffer the same fate because their players have nowhere else to go.

But the decision to sign Karmichael Hunt to a three-year, $3 million deal will have the rank and file restless.

How do you justify paying a guy who has never played a senior game the same salary as the code's absolute elite? It is a recipe for disaster.

The Gold Coast club insists it is not a publicity stunt, but how can we view it as anything but?

I don't begrudge Karmichael the opportunity to go and earn big dollars, far more than he could have if he stayed with the Broncos.

When you are presented with the chance to get ahead in life then you should seize it.

But I hope he knows what he has got himself into. Karmichael is a fairly private guy, he doesn't love the spotlight. He likes to be able to have a life away from football, but if he thinks he is going to be allowed to keep a low profile playing AFL, he is kidding himself.

As soon as he signed that contract he didn't become the Gold Coast's marquee player, he became their barrel girl. There won't be a function or marketing event he won't be expected to attend.

He says he is going for the challenge but I don't buy that. A far bigger challenge would have been for him to stay with the Broncos in their hour of need.

Rugby league also shouldn't stress about Karmichael's departure. He is a very good player and I love watching him, but we should remember he is a bench player at Origin level and a fringe selection for the national team.

Rugby league should be proud that it continues to produce players other codes are so desperate to poach.

Every time a player leaves it hurts, but someone takes their place and we don't have to go and raid another code to maintain the high standard of our elite competition.

There isn't a player in the AFL a rugby league club would be interested in signing &#8211; they simply couldn't handle the physicality.

Matt Giteau, the son of former rugby league player Ron, is perhaps the exception from rugby union who could cut across and play representative level rugby league, but they can keep the rest.

ozjet1

and why would that be??

they're not trained to. aussie rules footballers are leaner than rugby league footballers. it doesnt take einstein to realise that the extra weight on league players is so they can withstand the physicality. in contrast, aussie rules footballers are built to run. looking at it from the other side, there is no way cutie would have the endurance to compete in an AFL match at this point in time.

the focus in australian rules football is generally the ball. in rugby league it's generally the man with the ball.

competitors train specifically for the sport they participate in.

Brutus

Referee
and why would that be??

they're not trained to. aussie rules footballers are leaner than rugby league footballers. it doesnt take einstein to realise that the extra weight on league players is so they can withstand the physicality. in contrast, aussie rules footballers are built to run. looking at it from the other side, there is no way cutie would have the endurance to compete in an AFL match at this point in time.

the focus in australian rules football is generally the ball. in rugby league it's generally the man with the ball.

competitors train specifically for the sport they participate in.

nice person

hahahahaha

Good article Gordie and spot on. f**king stick insect fairies wouldn't last 30 seconds in an NRL game. By not signing anyone we're saving their lives.

Meth

Staff member
This may have already been commented on, but I though Mark Geyer was pretty insightful (perhaps accidently) on the Sunday Roast when he was commenting on the affect Hunt's signing may have in the psyche of AFL juniors/juniors deciding what to play.

When the AFL deliberately targets Rugby League for recruitment over its own juniors, and pays the Rugby League player top dollars, what message does that send? The way to make it big is to play Rugby League

Godz Illa

Coach
Respect to those Canberra supporters - one of the best travelled and consistently loudest supporter groups in the comp - for this high quality banner spotted on Saturday ight. Whoever made it shoud loan it out to every team opposing Brisbane for the rest of the year.

soft_hunts_narrowweb__300x477,0.jpg