What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I smell Soward just around the corner....

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Why would the blues select Beau Scott who is essentially a second rower turned centre who plays a Paul Bowman game plan. There are better younger centres in the NRL who can defend such as Chris Lawrence.

I might be giving the NSW selectors too much credit - but I think they may be future planning with this selection. If Scott plays a solid game and handles origin in games 2 and 3 or just game 3 - the little general can be brought in next year with his minder in the team to boost his confidence. You would not have Lockyer without Carroll in his early days. Same thinking here surely. Scott is not good enough to have been selected for any other reason.

Over half the users of this forum were screaming for Carney or Soward - the rest for Barrett. Barrett is unlikely to be there next year - I think this is forward thinking for Soward. Soward will defeintely be cheering Scott on if he plays. Can only do his selection dream wonders.

If Scott plays game 2 and NSW lose - would not be surprised to see Soward in game 3 - but I do suspect it is a move for next year. All the more likely if Inglis goes AFL next year.

Last edited:

watatank

Coach
Perhaps it's because QLD have scoring at will down our right edge...Scott is the best chance to put a stop to that tbh.

typicalfan

Coach
Beau Scott plays on the right hand side and is as strong as anyone defensively. I would support him in the starting side or off the bench.

Ziggy the God

First Grade
Why not, the only way to make the NSW team is to play for StGeorge or Manly, so you are probably right.

maestro1

Bench
Why would the blues select Beau Scott who is essentially a second rower turned centre who plays a Paul Bowman game plan. There are better younger centres in the NRL who can defend such as Chris Lawrence.

I might be giving the NSW selectors too much credit - but I think they may be future planning with this selection. If Scott plays a solid game and handles origin in games 2 and 3 or just game 3 - the little general can be brought in next year with his minder in the team to boost his confidence. You would not have Lockyer without Carroll in his early days. Same thinking here surely. Scott is not good enough to have been selected for any other reason.

Over half the users of this forum were screaming for Carney or Soward - the rest for Barrett. Barrett is unlikely to be there next year - I think this is forward thinking for Soward. Soward will defeintely be cheering Scott on if he plays. Can only do his selection dream wonders.

If Scott plays game 2 and NSW lose - would not be surprised to see Soward in game 3 - but I do suspect it is a move for next year. All the more likely if Inglis goes AFL next year.

Tonie Carroll was always selected on his own merits. He was a champion at all levels and quite unfair to suggest he was selected as a minder. Beau Scott has also been selected on his merits, he has been outstanding for the Dragons for two seasons now (since Bennett came to town). He is the modern version of Chris Mortimer and evrybody wanted to play in the same team as Mortimer .... The Dragons love having Beau Scott on their right edge. He is a tradesman, courageous and hits like a sledge hammer...incredibly strong as well. Yesterday, he literally picked up a warriors player and threw him over the sideline.

maestro1

Bench
Why not, the only way to make the NSW team is to play for StGeorge or Manly, so you are probably right.

That might have something to do with the Dragons winning a minor premiership in 2009 and leading the comp from the get go this season. You'd imagine that for a team to do that, they may require some decent footballers..............You'd think.....

Morris picks himself, Cooper has never let NSW down and defensively has always been great, Scott has earned a chance after 2 seasons of very good performances, Weyman has been outstanding, Creagh is one of the most damaging running forwards with avery high work rate.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Chris Lawrence like Beau Scott knows how to tackle.

Lawrence can also score tries.

Lawrence was not selected and Scott was. Scott was moved from second row to act as a minder for Soward. A master stroke from Bennett. People who asked for Sowards selection have always been met with the question who will mind him - are you selecting Scott too? Now we have the selectors possible answer for next year. Yes - Soward and Scott are a viable option as Scott has played previously and done alright - assuming he goes alright.

And even though Im a Qld fan - I am curious to see if Soward is upto Origin. One of my favourite players to watch.

watatank

Coach
Lawrence isn't anywhere near the defender Scott is. He's a left centre anyway...Why not discuss his merits against Cooper and a speed combination with Morris?

typicalfan

Coach
Chris Lawrence like Beau Scott knows how to tackle.

Lawrence can also score tries.

Lawrence was not selected and Scott was. Scott was moved from second row to act as a minder for Soward. A master stroke from Bennett. People who asked for Sowards selection have always been met with the question who will mind him - are you selecting Scott too? Now we have the selectors possible answer for next year. Yes - Soward and Scott are a viable option as Scott has played previously and done alright - assuming he goes alright.

And even though Im a Qld fan - I am curious to see if Soward is upto Origin. One of my favourite players to watch.

Has nothing to do with Jamie Soward at all. Beau Scott is versatile and very strong, much stronger than Lawrence maybe about as strong as Inglis?

Ziggy the God

First Grade
That might have something to do with the Dragons winning a minor premiership in 2009 and leading the comp from the get go this season. You'd imagine that for a team to do that, they may require some decent footballers..............You'd think.....

Morris picks himself, Cooper has never let NSW down and defensively has always been great, Scott has earned a chance after 2 seasons of very good performances, Weyman has been outstanding, Creagh is one of the most damaging running forwards with avery high work rate.

4-0.

Soon to be 5-0.

Yeah, these guys haven't let us down.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Why not discuss his merits against Cooper and a speed combination with Morris?

I'm a Qld fan - I do not care who you select. I just think cannot help but think Scott's selection is a move towards Soward comming.

Bumble

First Grade

Oh, and how's their record in big games? Remind me please..

As for that other romanticized dribble :lol:

Matt Cooper never lets NSW down? Has played about 30000 origin games and doesn't score any tries. Weyman got passed around like currency during Origin 1 and Beau Scott? I think he's about as potent in attack as Luke Stuart or Tim Grant.

As hybrid_tiger said, no player can control Inglis when he's on his game. Another gutless, 'safe' selection by the NSW selectors. Beau Champion scored another 2 tries tonight but can't get a look in. I give up.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Tonie Carroll was always selected on his own merits. He was a champion at all levels and quite unfair to suggest he was selected as a minder. Beau Scott has also been selected on his merits, he has been outstanding for the Dragons for two seasons now (since Bennett came to town). He is the modern version of Chris Mortimer and evrybody wanted to play in the same team as Mortimer .... The Dragons love having Beau Scott on their right edge. He is a tradesman, courageous and hits like a sledge hammer...incredibly strong as well. Yesterday, he literally picked up a warriors player and threw him over the sideline.

We all know he can defend, but what's his attack like?

The answer is non-existent.

watatank

Coach
I'm a Qld fan - I do not care who you select. I just think cannot help but think Scott's selection is a move towards Soward comming.

Maybe if he was picked in Origin 1 you might be right...

You probably haven't taken into account that Lyon would've been right centre had he been available...

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Because Lyon has done so many wonders for NSW in winning games...

You may be right - but Barrett aint a long term option - Lyon can be moved or dropped. He wouldn't complain. Its not like he wants to play anyway.

typicalfan

Coach
Maybe if he was picked in Origin 1 you might be right...

You probably haven't taken into account that Lyon would've been right centre had he been available...
And that it is Greg Inglis he is up against. Otherwise they would probably have played Jennings.

Fein

First Grade
Beau Scott is a joke and sums up the NSW selectors state of mind.

Champion is infinitely better than Scott let alone anyone else who may have a legitimate claim.

Bottom line is the NSW selection panel are f**kwits of the highest order and QLD deserve to win by a thousand as a result.

Bumble

First Grade
Beau Scott is a joke and sums up the NSW selectors state of mind.

Champion is infinitely better than Scott let alone anyone else who may have a legitimate claim.

Bottom line is the NSW selection panel are f**kwits of the highest order and QLD deserve to win by a thousand as a result.

Only the NRL's leading try scorer...oh and the guy that plays outside him is in double figures as well so I'm assuming he can both score and create tries. Not what NSW needs mate, sorry. We need more back rowers playing outwide so they can nullify Inglis...skillful attacking outside backs need not apply.