What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Idris to Titans??

BM1979

Juniors
1. Not for the money? :lol: So is it the leaving your family or the Titans being a team in the decline that takes his fancy?
2. Idris will eventually be a great player, but at the moment he is hands down the worst defensive centre & liability. While Dog fan will be spewing, they should take heart they won't be paying ridiculous overs for him.
3. Though it will be funny watching Dog fans change their tune & voice how bad Idris is in defence.

Painting everyone with the same brush much , i have seen a lot of dogs fans say he has defensive proplems .

Raider_69

Post Whore
Cant believe they paid that much for a over sized, under skilled, poor defending 2nd rower pretending to play centre

good luck to them, i wouldnt touch the guy for more than 150k

BM1979

Juniors
Cant believe they paid that much for a over sized, under skilled, poor defending 2nd rower pretending to play centre

good luck to them, i wouldnt touch the guy for more than 150k

I dont get this oversized stuff , poor defender yes

jonno_knights

Juniors
Do the titans only work in 5yr contracts? Cartwright, Prince and now Idris.

5 year contracts are extremely risky in a high injury rate sport like RL.

And to give it to a player who is ageing (Prince) and a guy who might not reach his potential (Idris) is extremely poor practice IMO.

ironhorse

Juniors
Do the titans only work in 5yr contracts? Cartwright, Prince and now Idris.

5 year contracts are extremely risky in a high injury rate sport like RL.

And to give it to a player who is ageing (Prince) and a guy who might not reach his potential (Idris) is extremely poor practice IMO.

Agreed.

I have never seen a coach or player really respond onfield due to longterm financial security , plenty play hard around the time a new contract is due though.

Raider_69

Post Whore
I dont get this oversized stuff , poor defender yes

Look at the size of him mate, he's big and far too big for the centres... and the reason? because in today's NRL you cant be that big and defend at centre, i dont care how good an athlete you are, he's just too big, which is why he's a poor defender, he's too slow latterally, he's too big to have any decent or quick footwork
his entire game is built around his halves isolating him one on one with a smaller player and running over the top of them... which is fine, if your playing the back row... but you cant be his size and his skill set and play centre, you'll get towelled up every 2nd week by halves who single you out and get you one on one with guys with good footwork and speed.

He's over sized for the centre. One day he'll make a decent back rower though

BM1979

Juniors
Look at the size of him mate, he's big and far too big for the centres... and the reason? because in today's NRL you cant be that big and defend at centre, i dont care how good an athlete you are, he's just too big, which is why he's a poor defender, he's too slow latterally, he's too big to have any decent or quick footwork
his entire game is built around his halves isolating him one on one with a smaller player and running over the top of them... which is fine, if your playing the back row... but you cant be his size and his skill set and play centre, you'll get towelled up every 2nd week by halves who single you out and get you one on one with guys with good footwork and speed.

He's over sized for the centre. One day he'll make a decent back rower though

I can agree with that Argument and that he is slow laterally but i dont think he is overweight . I can also understand why the Doggies play him in the Centres cause of the abundance of backrowers

perverse

Referee
i absolutely agree, Idris' best position is second row. his physical attributes lend themselves far more to the second row than centre. as R69 said, lateral movement is f**ked, turning is f**ked, he's just too big to be trying to defend against the footwork and speed of blokes like Gaz, Jennings, Hodges, etc. he will find a home in the back row eventually, or at least he should. centre is probably the hardest position on the field to defend, and i don't think he'll ever be much good at it.

Tommy Smith

Referee
LOL @ all the negative comments about Idris' playing abilities.

The guy has enormous potential and is already developing into one of the most damaging centres in the game.

I know he had a bad game defensively on the weekend, but that was on one leg. He'll improve in this area no doubt.

It's amazing how people latch onto a certain tag line on this forum and run with it, almost like a lynch mob...this thread already tops the 'Eddie Paea sh*ts on Mitchell Pearce' classic. Although it does admittedly have a long way to go before it comes close to the 'Feleti Mateo > Sonny-Bill Williams'. That particular tsunami of stupid public opinion had about 50% of people suggesting Mateo is better than SBW!

And now all of a sudden Idris is an overrated, useless turd. When in reality any coach in the game would love to have him in their team.

You guys are hilarious! No really, you are.

Last edited:

Jake2194

Juniors
idris like most players is inconsistent, he has some great games then just goes missing in others, i personally dont even think he is one of the best centres around, gasnier is the best centre around atm.

no name

Coach
idris like most players is inconsistent, he has some great games then just goes missing in others, i personally dont even think he is one of the best centres around, gasnier is the best centre around atm.

:lol:

Surely you jest?

AlwaysGreen

Immortal

The guy has enormous potential and is already developing into one of the most damaging centres in the game.

I know he had a bad game defensively on the weekend, but that was on one leg. He'll improve in this area no doubt.

It's amazing how people latch onto a certain tag line on this forum and run with it, almost like a lynch mob...this thread already tops the 'Eddie Paea sh*ts on Mitchell Pearce' classic. Although it does admittedly have a long way to go before it comes close to the 'Feleti Mateo > Sonny-Bill Williams'. That particular tsunami of stupid public opinion had about 50% of people suggesting Mateo is better than SBW!
And now all of a sudden Idris is an overrated, useless turd. When in reality any coach in the game would love to have him in their team.

When people make their judgements there is no in between. The player is either a superstar or a hack. Idris is a young bloke who has the potential to be very good. At the moment he is already good and any team would take him if he was up for grabs.

Loudstrat

Coach

Agree. Idris looks like he has Arthur Beetson's conditioner at Canterbury. Still, I remember the day he owned Tahu last year - Tahu simply never got owned until that game, and after it, he fell to pieces. A fit Idris has the potential to strip Inglis of his test jumper withing 3-4 years.

A change of coach and some maturity will do him wonders. Yes, he needs to turn quicker than the Queen Mary, but Folau wasn't real mobile in defence either.

Good signing Titans - and they needed one.

sharko

Juniors
The Gold Coast Titans have again approached the NRL for an adavance on monies due to them next year, they are not trading well, they are palying rubbish, old and slow and very uninteresting, I can understand why they would chase someone like Idris but there is no guarantee they will pay his contarct minies if they do not have the dough!

Shorty

Staff member
I can agree with that Argument and that he is slow laterally but i dont think he is overweight . I can also understand why the Doggies play him in the Centres cause of the abundance of backrowers
But he is overweight?
He needs to drop at least 5 kilos.