What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If the NRL does expand to 18 teams in 2012...

Knight87

Juniors
Out of the current timeslots where matches are played:

2 x Friday 7:30pm
1 x Saturday 5:30pm
2 x Saturday 7:30pm
1 x Sunday 2pm
1 x Sunday 3pm
1 x Monday 7pm,

if the NRL expanded to 18 teams, which timeslot and day should the extra (9th) match be held on?

And also which two teams should be the ones admitted into the comp in 2012 (unless there are Sydney teams who either fold or merge before then)?

Matt23

Staff member
1 x Saturday afternoon
Teams from Perth & The Central coast

Knight87

Juniors
I agree with the extra game being on Sunday, but how about creating a triple header (Sunday 12pm, Sunday 2pm and Sunday 4pm). Sunday 12:05pm kickoff being the early game, Sunday 2:05pm kickoff being the afternoon game (both live on Fox Sports), and then the match of the day at 4:05pm (live on Channel 9, leading into the 6pm news)? That's be 6 hrs of rugby league. And before people start saying that 12:05pm is too early for a match, I think it would obtain higher attendances than the Sat 5:30pm or Sat 7:30pm match in Sydney

And the teams I think should be admitted are Central Coast and Perth, although if either a Sydney team merges with another or a Sydney team folds, I'd also include Wellington as well.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
...And then the NRL and it's clubs can kiss millions of sponsorship dollars and revenue goodbye ;-)

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I agree with the extra game being on Sunday, but how about creating a triple header (Sunday 12pm, Sunday 2pm and Sunday 4pm). Sunday 12:05pm kickoff being the early game, Sunday 2:05pm kickoff being the afternoon game (both live on Fox Sports), and then the match of the day at 4:05pm (live on Channel 9, leading into the 6pm news)? That's be 6 hrs of rugby league.

And the teams I think should be admitted are Central Coast and Perth, although if either a Sydney team merges with another or a Sydney team folds, I'd also include Wellington as well.

9 would never agree to 4pm live - too much risk of Golden Point.

Knight87

Juniors
9 would never agree to 4pm live - too much risk of Golden Point.

So what. When both Bulldogs matches vs Knights and Parramatta went into extra time in 1998, both of them didn't finish on tv until close to 6:30pm (even though the extra time system was different back then, but the game still went beyond 80 mins). Even better! more rugby league, the better

Knight87

Juniors
If Nine didn't agree to a 4:05pm live game for your reason, they can kickoff right on 4pm, and start telecast at 3:45pm (with 15 mins of pregame talk), which occurs just after the conclusion of the 2pm match. That way, even factoring in Golden Point, the match would still finish before 6pm.

Even the finals matches on weeks 1+2+3 last year on Sunday, they all kicked off at 4:05pm and were shown live. I'm sure there was a risk of Golden Point there too, you know.

skeepe

Immortal
I would structure it thusly:

1 x Friday night 7:30pm
1 x Saturday afternoon 2:30pm
1 x Saturday evening 5:30pm
2 x Saturday night 7:30pm
1 x Sunday morning 11:30am
1 x Sunday afternoon 2:00pm
1 x Sunday afternoon 3:00pm
1 x Sunday evening 6:30pm

Johns Magic

Referee

sh*t idea

Dragon

Coach
NRL needs more afternoon games (like 2:30, not that 5:30 twilight crap).... im so sick of night games.

LOL 11 30 am ?? when are you going to play the NYC, 8 am ?? how many people you think will turn up to an 11 30 kick off ?? leaving for the game atleast an hour, 2 hours before ... probably 4 hours + if you want to see the NYC

Eels Dude

Coach

There's a reason why saturday afternoon games were abandoned, going back there would be a mistake. Nobody is going to go the footy on a sunday morning either.

The extra game should be on the sunday arvo, it's a proven timeslot and 3 games on a sunday seemed to work well prior to the friday double and monday night footy.

Quidgybo

Bench
It has been mentioned that Nein are extremely happy with their Friday night double header which allows them to target matches to maximise ratings in both Sydney and Brisbane, but they are less pleased with their Sunday afternoon ratings leading into the evening primetime. It wouldn't surprise me if there is a big push from Nein to have both Friday and Saturday night double headers on free to air in the next contract, abandoning Sunday afternoon telecasts altogether. That would effectively leave Fox with Monday nights and a triple or even quadruple header, possibly all live, on Sunday afternoon/evening. Ultimately that will depend on how much impact Fox suffers in ratings moving from a Saturday night triple header to Sunday afternoon and the division of the costs for the rights between the two companies. Anyone got a breakdown of Fox's Saturday night vs Sunday afternoon ratings?

Leigh.

Latest posts