What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If your team was rissoled

mightybears

Bench
Same, although i stayed around and supported the abortion known as Northern Eagles. As soon as Manly took full control i said f**k them, and started following Melbourne.

I was a bears fan but the day they merged i was heartbroken and gave up on them. Luckily i was 12 or 13 at the time and after about a year started following the panthers because Girdler was my fav player. If i was any older i wouldnt have a team i dont think

you were of an age where i could understand that, but hey 2013 and you're on the CC, please comeback both of you!

Last edited:

mightybears

Bench
This thread is full of bullsh*t responses.

You all SAY you would no longer watch league, however the evidence points to the fact that you indeed would. By that I mean, the evidence suggests that after a short time, RL fans do return to watching the sport in some aspect. The forming of Broncos and death of QRL, Souths reinstatement, Super League war, the mergers post SL, Storm salary cap scandal, etc. all proves this.

Flame away all you want ladies; however I know, you know, we all know that 99% of you would in fact, follow RL in some form after your team died.

P.S. If you guys ONLY support your chosen team and not the sport, why are you posting on a RL forum? Your teams all have forums out there, specific to your team and with one-eyed supporters yet you come here to argue with RL fans????

Absolute bullsh*t from a scab fan, too younger or dumb to know otherwise

mightybears

Bench
What year was Newtown kicked out? Could have sworn it was pre SL?

Given not one single person has stated they would switch to AFL and watch the Swans or Lions can we finally put to bed the myth that culling RL clubs causes tens of thousands of RL fans to switch to AFL?

yeah but early this century even though i didn't really care about AFL/never played it etc and can walk in and out of a match...i must have needed a footy fix because i did start watching the lions on tv for a while.

mightybears

Bench
so true!

this is the next failing of the clowns who have & who are running the game.

historical footage is absolutely p*sspoor.
it exists, but no one in the nrl has the foresight to work out a deal with the networks.

imagine how much they could make selling old (pre-bigpond) games to the public.

same, agree 100% and our game does it poorly in comparison to the AFL too.

Meth

Staff member
I have really only passionately supported a club since 1995 when the Warriors were introduced. Before that, I watched the League because I love League; lent my support to the Raiders; before that Wests; before that Balmain.

If the Warriors fell over, I would be gutted, but would probably just resume watching the game for the sake of watching the game; perhaps adopt a team and stick with them with as much dedication as I could muster.

I guess it's different for me than it is for many as I don't associate my love of League so closely with a love of a club because I was following the League for a few years before we got a local club. I love my club, but my love for the game could likely weather the death of my club

Manly Mick

Juniors
I live over 400 km from Brookvale, I would still follow the sea eagles if relocated as long as colours and nickname stayed the same. 2nd choice would be Penrith

Dazraider

Juniors
id follow another side as love rugby league and most probablty be tigers or sharks though as cousin played for sharks and played all my junior footy in the balmain comp too.

redvscotty

First Grade
Who I wouldn't follow and the reasons:

Rabbitohs - "We have the best back in the comp"
Broncos - Folau, Hunt, Hodges, Tallis, Various others - All merkins.
Eels - Vain Hayne
Manly - It's Manly
Storm - Melbourners are wankers.
Bulldogs - Dogggggiiiiiieeeeeeeees, o ma gawdddddd you scratched my supraaaa.
Cowboys - Queenslanders
Titans - All my mates who went for various teams abandoned them for this sh*tpile when they came in.
Knights - Dunno, just gay I spose.
Warriors - Full of Kiwis

RHCP

Bench
Who I wouldn't follow and the reasons:

Rabbitohs - "We have the best back in the comp"
Broncos - Folau, Hunt, Hodges, Tallis, Various others - All merkins.
Eels - Vain Hayne
Manly - It's Manly
Storm - Melbourners are wankers.
Bulldogs - Dogggggiiiiiieeeeeeeees, o ma gawdddddd you scratched my supraaaa.
Cowboys - Queenslanders
Titans - All my mates who went for various teams abandoned them for this sh*tpile when they came in.
Knights - Dunno, just gay I spose.
Warriors - Full of Kiwis
Extremely valid reasons...

Loudstrat

Coach
I can only go on what you post and effectively your post are saying that without your club RL means nothing to you. You may not have said that you would give it up totally but you said the only reason you have stuck with it was because of your club. I haven't exactly made a huge assumption, you have spelled it out in most of your posts.
Possibly true. Who knows, as my club has existed all my life and has never been under threat. I do know I don't really give a sh*t about any other clubs, although Saints winning keeps my girl happy.

I do know that while reason No. 1 is the Eels, a lot of reasons from No. 2 to No. 50 don't exist anymore.
Speaking of assumptions, you assume you know my age and my interest in league. You're the one making assumptions and making baseless comments based on them.
Yes I am. Make yourself clearer if you are so offended when people draw the wrong conclusions from your posts, instead of carrying on like a twat.

What? You're the one saying you would abandon the game if your club was gone. You're the one with a 'me me me' attitude.

How the hell is implying that you would stick with the game with or without your club a 'me me me' attitude.
You're the one making assumptions and making baseless comments based on them now!

Given that my club has as much chance of going as Sydney Harbour has of drying up, it's really moot point. However, in the interests of the hypothetical question, how the f*ck is it a me me me by wanting to follow my club ffs? The "me me me" whingers are the likes of you who demand the death of whatever club for whatever baseless reason you can conjure.

In other words, YOU answer the question for your club. And the argument goes the other way - if you'd see your club die without anything more than a momentary fit of panic, and then happily jump on to whoever is next - you are hardly a rusted on died in the wool supporter are ya!

Face it - most likely both our clubs will survive for a long time. That being the case, the "die hards" are more likely to hang around than the luke warmers like you.

And you still present yourself as a young post SL fan with NFI.

HowHigh

Coach
I suppose eventually I would grow fond of another team and support them.. I was a Bears fan before they merged but hated Manly, so I followed League as a neutral for a bit.Then the Dragons grew me being the local team (could never stand the steelers for some reason). Lucky I was young enough at the time so a change of teams wasn't as bad as it would feel now.

Loudstrat

Coach
I suppose eventually I would grow fond of another team and support them.. I was a Bears fan before they merged but hated Manly, so I followed League as a neutral for a bit.Then the Dragons grew me being the local team (could never stand the steelers for some reason). Lucky I was young enough at the time so a change of teams wasn't as bad as it would feel now.

I think that is crucial. If you are young enough people seem to accept change better.

Depends on how one's club dies too. If it's like Newtown where it simply goes broke - well you cannot blame the code for that. A gunshot merger to wind up as a colour on the sock of your most hated rival like Norths - different story. I could understand the Bunnies hate of the NRL. If your club was treated unfairly and punted like Perth, Norths etc there would be little to endear you to the code after that.

innsaneink

Referee
Ive seen my club kicked out twice, relocated and forced into a JV.
I thought I would react a certain way, and I did for a while (didnt go to WTs games for 2 years - but still took an interest)....but things change, attitudes and yourself, your opinion.
I'm involved in junior league and hope to be even when my son calls it a day whenever that may be, hopefully a while yet...I'll aleways have an interest in the game at some level or other.

gUt

Coach
I'm curious as to why there appears to be a higher percentage of Dragons fans saying they'd quit following the sport than any other club.

Billythekid

First Grade
Yes I am. Make yourself clearer if you are so offended when people draw the wrong conclusions from your posts, instead of carrying on like a twat.

What the hell does that even mean? I posted that i would continue to follow rugby league whether or not my team was in the comp. I said i followed the game because it is entertaining.

Somehow you took from that comment that i am from generation Y and have a 'me me me' attitute. How the hell could my post have possibly have led you to that conclusion. You were just upset about my reply and were just trying to take a baseless cheapshot.

Nice try though!

You're the one making assumptions and making baseless comments based on them now!

What assumption or baseless claim did i make? You said you only follow the game because of your club and effectively you would stop following it if they were gone. I replied directly to what you said in your post.

You replied to me and simply ignored what i said and attemtped to make a personal attack instead.

Given that my club has as much chance of going as Sydney Harbour has of drying up, it's really moot point.

I don't disagree but no one dragged you into the thread to discuss it.

However, in the interests of the hypothetical question, how the f*ck is it a me me me by wanting to follow my club ffs?

Because you don't care about the game or anyone else that follows it. All you care about is your club and your own interests. That's what a 'me me me' attitude is.

The "me me me" whingers are the likes of you who demand the death of whatever club for whatever baseless reason you can conjure.

Yet again like every thread you ignore the discussion actually being had and argue what you wish was being said. I don't want any team to be culled and never have.

My position is pretty simple, maybe even simple enough for you to understand. I don't want the sharks or anyone else kicked out. However if they can't keep up with the bigger clubs and have to fold than that shouldn't be stopped. I don't think that's such as unfair position.

And yet again i would like to ask how the hell im being a 'me me me' person. All i said was that i would continue supporting the game with or without my club. This is the very opposite of what you are implying.

I love the game, i love watching the game and i would continue to watch it with or without the storm. This is the very opposite of a fairweather 'me me me' supporter. You're the one who fits that catagory and i am amazed you could try and accuse me of that with the posts you have made in this thread.

In other words, YOU answer the question for your club. And the argument goes the other way - if you'd see your club die without anything more than a momentary fit of panic, and then happily jump on to whoever is next - you are hardly a rusted on died in the wool supporter are ya!

Again arguing with things that weren't said. Where did i say i would support someone else? That's right i didn't. I watch most games every week, only one of them involves the storm. I enjoy watching those matches. If the storm were no longer involved in the comp i would still enjoy those games.

Also i didn't say i wouldn't be unhappy. Of course i would, that doesn't mean i am just going to abandon the game that i love. The sport is much bigger than the melbourne storm. My love of the game didn't start with the storm. I love RL in general, the storm are just one part of that.

Face it - most likely both our clubs will survive for a long time. That being the case, the "die hards" are more likely to hang around than the luke warmers like you.

How am i a lukewarm fan? I can pretty much guarantee that i attend more games every year than you do despite not living in my teams local area. I also play rugby league and am involved with league at a junior level. I am a far better league fan than you will ever be.

You're the lukewarm fan. You only care about your own club. I actually support the game itself.

And you still present yourself as a young post SL fan with NFI.

Yeah you keep telling yourself that. You only came up with that pathetic argument because i follow the storm. Just because i follow the storm doesn't mean i started follow rugby league after SL. Of course someone as simple as you wouldn't understand this possibilty so you just jumped to your ridiculous assumption.

Your whole post is either baseless assumptions or just plain stupidity and you try to say i have NFI, pot meet kettle.

Jason Maher

Immortal
I'm curious as to why there appears to be a higher percentage of Dragons fans saying they'd quit following the sport than any other club.

That's because Saints fans tend to be Saints first, everything else second kind of supporters. A bit like Queenslanders who think of themselves as Queenslanders first, Australians a very distant second; or Manchester United supporters (the real ones, not the glory hunters) who are known for not giving a sh*t about the English national team, or anything else other than United. Our passion for the game is very much tied up in our team.

bobmar28

Bench
well.

if the sharks die. im done. ill never go to another game again. i wont buy pay tv. i wont watch on free to air. and ill make sure i have 11 sons and make them all play soccer.

if they move...

well. depends where. anywhere on the east coast is fine. adelaide and perth. no

and if they werent in black white and blue and called the sharks. again..nothing.

infact, f**k it id leave the country and go live in san diego

In San Diego you could follow the CHARGERS. How would you feel if the SHARKS merged with ROOSTERS to become the EAST COAST SHARKS?

I would be happy to support a merged Bulldogs.

I wouldn't stop watching league. What am I going to do, Watch AFL?

Last edited:

Latest posts