What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If your team was rissoled

Billythekid

First Grade
I dunno whether I would give it up totally. I know I wouldn't be buying jerseys, magazines, books or altering my weekends around TV screening times.

Looks like BDH again has NFI in his assumptions.

I can only go on what you post and effectively your post are saying that without your club RL means nothing to you. You may not have said that you would give it up totally but you said the only reason you have stuck with it was because of your club. I haven't exactly made a huge assumption, you have spelled it out in most of your posts.

Speaking of assumptions, you assume you know my age and my interest in league. You're the one making assumptions and making baseless comments based on them.

People like BDH just don't get it - because they came along post 1995 and just have this pathetic Gen Y "me me me" attitude.

What? You're the one saying you would abandon the game if your club was gone. You're the one with a 'me me me' attitude.

How the hell is implying that you would stick with the game with or without your club a 'me me me' attitude.

edabomb

First Grade
This happened to me with the NBA, the Seattle Sonics were moved to Oklahoma and became the Oklahoma Thunder.

I watch far less NBA than I used, really just the back end of the playoffs. I still read articles on the game and I have definitely started reading a heap more on the history of the NBA. My interest in the current game is next to nothing though.

Given the lack of historical media out there around the NRL, NSWRL etc.. I think the Raiders folding would end my interest in NRL almost completely.

gregstar

Referee
Given the lack of historical media out there around the NRL, NSWRL etc.. I think the Raiders folding would end my interest in NRL almost completely.
so true!

this is the next failing of the clowns who have & who are running the game.

historical footage is absolutely p*sspoor.
it exists, but no one in the nrl has the foresight to work out a deal with the networks.

imagine how much they could make selling old (pre-bigpond) games to the public.

I'd say so. Bears are the team I first supported and would be still supporting if they were in the competition now. Although Id still have a soft spot for the Eels.

I'm a diehard BEARS supporter. The thing is I lived in Brisbane for a large chunk of my life, so the only time I'd see the BEARS was vs. the Broncos. Super League brought the Crushers into the comp and then suddenly I could watch the BEARS, twice a year (three if parents drove to Carrara to see them vs. the Chargers).

Made it to N.S.O. a few times in high school and sat underneath that fig tree. The club and team were something else. There was a different vibe about the BEARS over the other teams to me. They were the strugglers who just kept showing up. They were like a QLD team in NSW with Larson, Moore, Dallas, Ikin and Goddard in the side, mixed with the 80min battlers Soden, Seers, Roy, Buettner, Florimo. The 80's were dry but the 90's proved fruitful. We made the finals in that decade more often then not. Only to have our dreams of a 3rd premiership end in the same fashion, in the same major semi situation.

I once heard a story at NORTHS Leagues about how we were pursued hard to join Super League. I dunno if that is true but I'm glad we stuck it out in the ARL. With grants given and the funds in place, we started collaborate work to build Bluetongue Stadium in 98 for the 99 season however it got pushed back a year. By the time work started, the NRL has stated that our stadium was not suitable for NRL games thus we travelled most of the 99 season. By the time the stadium was finished, it was too late and everything happened as it did.

Merged. I didn't support the Northern Eagles. Cut. I had no team but QLD Maroons and Australia Kangaroos. Even though I was from Brisbane with no NRL team to follow ever think about going for the Broncs. I did in early 03 start to back the Penny Panthers. Whom incidentally that year would go on to win the comp.

Having spent time now on the Central Coast. I absolutely back the Central Coast BEARS. Even though I have interests in the Panthers still, my energies are 100% spent on the CCBEARS bid. Any chance I have to fight for and have my team back is a chance worth taking. Asks Souths fans, they know all about it.

Last edited:

lockyrulz

Juniors
And another thing knobjockey - take my club away (you already took my second and fight like hell against letting it back in) and what is RL to me?
Melbourne cheating. Super League killing off good clubs and alienating good fans. A code dying in the bush. A plaything to a media mogul. Occasional joy through watching quality rep games - when their eligibility status isn't compromised. Occasional joy through watching a side like the Tigers win a comp.

We live with the memory of much evil and heartless crap that was never part of the sporting landscape pre 1995. It's our clubs that have kept us interested in a code that has otherwise pissed us off no end.

Yet here you are..

Here is a clue numb nuts. The vast majority of league fans aren't crack addled hard core freaks like you. They are guys who watch because it is entertaining. If it wasn't for people like Billy, you wouldn't have an NRL, and the quality of matches you occasionally enjoy wouldn't be much of a quality as the game would barely be professional.

You guys can ejaculate all over your keyboards all day about how passionate you are, how you would ditch the game blah blah.

a. The game will thrive without you
b. Most of you are full of sh*t and at some stage would follow another team when you realise how much you miss it.

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
This happened to me with the NBA, the Seattle Sonics were moved to Oklahoma and became the Oklahoma Thunder.

I watch far less NBA than I used, really just the back end of the playoffs. I still read articles on the game and I have definitely started reading a heap more on the history of the NBA. My interest in the current game is next to nothing though.

Mate same here,

I was a huge sonics fan and then bam, they got relocated and now I dont even visit the NBA site.

I still jump on wikipedia and other sites to hear rumors about the sonics returning but I find it difficult to follow another team considering my stance as a sonics fan.

If the raiders were out of the NRL, then I would have no meaning to watch footy...realistically I wont just turn around and say "hey im now a *insert team name* fan".

Packy

Bench
I would still turn on every game every week that I could. I would find a new team through players I have respect for and no doubt accrue a new team to follow after a peroid of time.

gUt

Coach
Assuming the only reason clubs should be folding or relocating in the future being they aren't turning a profit I find it rather pathetic that people would turn their back on the entire game because of their clubs poor management. It would be especially poor if these people who so easily turn away never financially supported their club in the first place.

This is worth repeating.

big country

Juniors
This is worth repeating.

true - except in Souths' case it was proven in the highest court of Aust that they were illegally omitted from the competition for 2 years - a competition which they helped form 100 years ago - you gotta feel even more sorry for those supporters :cool:

sretsoor

Juniors
true - except in Souths' case it was proven in the highest court of Aust that they were illegally omitted from the competition for 2 years - a competition which they helped form 100 years ago - you gotta feel even more sorry for those supporters :cool:

FYI News appealed and won but elected to leave them in the comp.

Sleep

Juniors
At the start of the year I wasn't all that interest in the season kicking off. I've watched less league this year than any other. I don't know whether it's the standard of the comp but even now I just want the finals to start. I don't care about the results in between now and then.

There's been weeks this year where I haven't watched a single game.

If my team was given the boot, I'd watch it even less and I doubt I'd follow another team. I'd probably follow the NFL a whole lot more. I think I'm more excited about the start of that season than I was for Rugby League this year.

mightybears

Bench
if your rancid turd of a club no longer competed in the nrl, to what extent would your interest in league remain?

furthermore if your club was shifted away from your region or state, what interest level would you possess?

for mine if saints disappeared, i'd no longer give a rats about league.

whilst they are there, league is pretty much the only sport i give any time to. (though significantly less after the superleague sh*t)

i'm tribal first, game second.

tribal 100%, have not watched NRL since 1999 live or tv, its wrong without the red n black..........nsw cup only, qld cup, pommie stuff but never nrl until we return..............i'm a bit fundy though as i arsed telstra when they started supporting the vision thing.

Last edited:

mightybears

Bench
Id just follow the next nearest team. Might take a while to warm to them though...

Seems a bit of a divide here. QLDers would move on and still be footy fans while sydneysiders would pick up their blankets and go home crying.

raises eyebrow.............its called loyalty and it works both ways.......NRL dismissed my team, i dismissed the NRL it was very easy.